Marshall Origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Origin

Are any of you guys rocking the 20 or 50 Origin amps? I just noticed this one in a Sweetwater magazine for the first time, and it caught me off guard. $399 for that 20W head is not to shabby at all, and I already have the trannies to upgrade it.

I took a look online for a gut shot of it, and that board is easily serviceable, so mods would be as easy as they come.

Is it more of a plexi style tone or higher gain 800 tone? The GAS is strong on this one.
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Re: Marshall Origin

It's lower gain than a plexi, not even close to a jcm. There's very little preamp gain but I imagine you can get some nice power amp distortion if you can crank it. I only played one briefly at a store and quickly walked away because of the lack of gain.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they're great amps. If you want to use them for metal you'll need a pedal, but classic rock and blues sounds are all there. The power scaling works really well so it's possible to get good cranked tones at very low volumes. No problems with pedals either. I didn't like the combo I tried, but the head through a nice cab is great.

If you're looking for compressed chugging and buzz saw noises without dynamics, they're awful . . . so ymmv.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

So it's more in the 60s vein of Marshall? Like the TMB?

That's not really a deal breaker for me. I can get more gain out of it. If it's basically a TMB without a trem, you can go all kinds of ways as far as simple mods go.

I currently own a Jet City PicoValve, with a black plate 12au7 in V1, Grey plate 12ax7 in V2, and a Gold Lion KT66 for power. That one covers certain sounds I was going after, but I'd still like something else that does the early Marshall thing.

May be time to just go find one in a shop and piss off the staff for a few minutes.
        I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

I only got rid of my 20c because I didn't really care for the 10" speaker. If I had purchased the head or the 50 watter I'd still have it. They take pedals like a champ.

I've been playing with a band since January so I use my DSL40CR for practice. The 20 fell a little short.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
            So it's more in the 60s vein of Marshall? Like the TMB?

That's not really a deal breaker for me. I can get more gain out of it. If it's basically a TMB without a trem, you can go all kinds of ways as far as simple mods go.

I currently own a Jet City PicoValve, with a black plate 12au7 in V1, Grey plate 12ax7 in V2, and a Gold Lion KT66 for power. That one covers certain sounds I was going after, but I'd still like something else that does the early Marshall thing.

May be time to just go find one in a shop and piss off the staff for a few minutes.
            I'm not a Marshall historian . . . but have only ever really been interested in the Marshall-y sounds from the 60s. It works for that to my ears.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I forgot to mention, it's a wonderful amp for home use because of the power settings.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X