A2P's or Slash Set ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2P's or Slash Set ???

So, I am going to get a set of ONE of these for a my Tiger Eye Dean Cadillac. Google it if you need to.

I have had, and am familiar with A2P's. Haven't had any in forever and a day. And of course, since then, there is this whole "Slash" set thing. Now, I like the regular old A2P set more than well enough and am a fan of the original Slash tone. But alas, I have not kept up with the pups, or his later stylings.

Haven't actually heard or played them. So - what is the big deal, what is the important difference, and of course, is it worth the price?

Discuss...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: A2P's or Slash Set ???

The Slash set is slightly hotter, and brighter. I like the original ones better.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The signature set has more presence. It's a bit aggressive and has more bite. Great for dull sounding mahog with maple cap/all mahog short scale guitars.

Comment

I don't think there is enough of a difference to make it worth while getting the Slash set. Your amp (and effects chain) is going to make way more difference in your sound than such a tiny difference in pups.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

How about an A2P neck, and a Slash Bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            How about an A2P neck, and a Slash Bridge?
            I honestly don't see that much of a difference to do that, unless the A2P sounded too dark. But the difference can easily be made up with an EQ adjustment.

Comment

The Slash is kind of a worthless pickup set IMO. Not the pickup itself, for musical purposes, but the fact that it exists at all, while the A2P also exists. You might as well just get A2Ps; they're close enough. Need what the Slash does? Up the gain a hair and change the amp's tone knobs a hair. AFAICT, the Slash pickups only exist to get an extra $40 per set out of people who don't know how to use the knobs on their amps.

By that same logic, if you can find a Slash set for no more than an A2P set, then go for it.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-25-2020, 06:49 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

That sounds about like what I think...

Comment

Or even better, get a Jazz set with a smooth UOA5 in the neck and a rough UOA5 in the bridge.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

ooh - Cheap Jazz set and replace with A2 mags!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      ooh - Cheap Jazz set and replace with A2 mags!
                      I'm telling you, UOA5's. The best of both worlds.

Comment

Bah! I'm gonna play Sweet Child on this.

Comment

Your choice.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Well there is a long history of artists' models being very much like the stock version with a few tweaks. This is true with guitar, pedals, & amps, too. But the name makes it very easy to market.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              The Slash is kind of a worthless pickup set IMO. Not the pickup itself, for musical purposes, but the fact that it exists at all, while the A2P also exists. You might as well just get A2Ps; they're close enough. Need what the Slash does? Up the gain a hair and change the amp's tone knobs a hair. AFAICT, the Slash pickups only exist to get an extra $40 per set out of people who don't know how to use the knobs on their amps.
                              Nah, it wasn’t that at all. It’s literally a different wire type in addition to the difference in the wind. If you don’t hear enough of a difference to make it worth additional money or swapping out a guitar that has A2Pros, that’s fair, but the situation isn’t as you’ve characterized it.

Comment

Working...
                              X