A2P's or Slash Set ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A2P's or Slash Set ???

Having used both pickup sets (A2Pros and Slash set) - they're really radically different. I wonder how people say they don't notice a difference - if they actually played both sets.
    A2Pros are buttery smooth - especially the pick attack. They are as mellow as a pickup set can get.

The Slash set has a very defined pick attack. Both the neck and bridge pickup feel a bit hotter.
    I prefer the Slash set over the regular A2Pros. In fact, A2Pros - I can never get to sound right for me. Slash set on the other hand: it's what I'd go for in a vintage sounding humbucker set with plenty of definition.
    The A2Pro just sound like room-temperature butter.
    There's a day and night difference here.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
      If you don’t hear enough of a difference to make it worth additional money or swapping out a guitar that has A2Pros, that’s fair, but the situation isn’t as you’ve characterized it.
      I don't understand that statement. What have I characterized the situation as, aside from me not hearing enough of a difference to make it worth the extra money? I did not say there are not tonal differences. I said the tones of each are within the range of overlap, using outboard controls.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

When I said “the situation is not as you described” I was referring to this:

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        AFAICT, the Slash pickups only exist to get an extra $40 per set out of people who don't know how to use the knobs on their amps.
        All I can do is add some historical perspective. It wasn’t a money play, it’s a different pickup.

If you’re a pickup enthusiast, then the fact that you know it’s a different wire type and a different wind means that basically it’s as different (and worthy) as comparing a Pearly Gates to an A2Pro. No one questions whether those two pickups should coexist, or a Pearly Gates and a 78 and a Seth Lover...

As for the hard science, the peak frequency is different, and when we talked about the “openness” in the marketing it has to do with things like the Q of the resonance. Best way I can break it down for you is that if it were as simple as adjusting some amp settings, Slash would have just adjusted his amp settings when he went between the Derrig and all of his new Les Pauls. Or better yet. He’d have just adjusted his amp and permanently retired the Derrig.

Again, no big deal if you don’t find that to be a reason to own one.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          When I said “the situation is not as you described” I was referring to this:

All I can do is add some historical perspective. It wasn’t a money play, it’s a different pickup.

If you’re a pickup enthusiast, then the fact that you know it’s a different wire type and a different wind means that basically it’s as different (and worthy) as comparing a Pearly Gates to an A2Pro. No one questions whether those two pickups should coexist, or a Pearly Gates and a 78 and a Seth Lover...

As for the hard science, the peak frequency is different, and when we talked about the “openness” in the marketing it has to do with things like the Q of the resonance. Best way I can break it down for you is that if it were as simple as adjusting some amp settings, Slash would have just adjusted his amp settings when he went between the Derrig and all of his new Les Pauls. Or better yet. He’d have just adjusted his amp and permanently retired the Derrig.

Again, no big deal if you don’t find that to be a reason to own one.
          You took my statement most literally. It was not meant as a literal statement. It was a hyperbolic way of stating nothing more than, “The difference is not worth the extra money IME and IMO.” That is all. Again, I do not believe the two pickups sound the same, and never stated so.

IME, most of the Duncan lower output humbuckers are some good e.q. and gain tweaks away from each other for most real-world purposes. Different to be sure, but pretty well within the range of effective equalization. The reason to pick one over the other mainly has to do with matching my picking technique to my amps. I want my picking pressure to be the constant, even when I change amps. On higher headroom amps, I want more powerful low output pickups, like the ‘59. On my lower headroom amps, I want weaker low output pickups, like the Seth.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have original slash set in my explorer, never been happier!! I play everything from blues to metal with it.
            "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Comment

I totally get what Frank is saying.

Imagine Duncan would entertain making "tweaked" versions of our favorite pickups (not custom shop, which of course they will do...)

Over the years Slash decided he wanted a touch more this and a touch less that. ANYTHING different than an A2P is instantly detected by his ears. To ours, not so much. And that would be me. Are they THAT different to my old ears? Doubtful. But to some, yes. Certainly not worth the cost to me, because, well, often cheap.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Anficht View Post
                Having used both pickup sets (A2Pros and Slash set) - they're really radically different.
                There's a day and night difference here.
                See - I'd say that about my 9k Pearly Gates. You likely wouldn't notice...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I totally get what Frank is saying.

Imagine Duncan would entertain making "tweaked" versions of our favorite pickups (not custom shop, which of course they will do...)

Over the years Slash decided he wanted a touch more this and a touch less that. ANYTHING different than an A2P is instantly detected by his ears. To ours, not so much. And that would be me. Are they THAT different to my old ears? Doubtful. But to some, yes. Certainly not worth the cost to me, because, well, often cheap.
                  My ears are shot. Three bouts of cancer, two bouts of pneumonia, screaming guitars, screaming power tools and just old age have pretty much done my ears in.

But I can still detect subtle differences in the way my guitar responds and feels, and the way I respond and feel to that.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The whole point of the Slash sigs was to get his stage LP's to sound like his Derrig which has stock A2P's from the 80's. Even newer A2P's were missing the mark enough in his modern stage LP's that he worked with SD to make this set.

IMO, swapping pickups in a guitar to play one song is looking at it the wrong way. You could play that song on a Strat loaded with Hot Rails and the crowd will go nuts anyway. The Slash set is nice but I prefer DiMarzio Air Classics in that range of output. A '57 Classic without the tone control hooked up sounds great too. You don't be disappointed in the Slash set if you go that route.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 05-26-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I absolutely hear a difference in the attack. I just like the original model what they are based on more.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        The whole point of the Slash sigs was to get his stage LP's to sound like his Derrig which has stock A2P's from the 80's. Even newer A2P's were missing the mark enough in his modern stage LP's that he worked with SD to make this set.

IMO, swapping pickups in a guitar to play one song is looking at it the wrong way. You could play that song on a Strat loaded with Hot Rails and the crowd will go nuts anyway. The Slash set is nice but I prefer DiMarzio Air Classics in that range of output. A '57 Classic without the tone control hooked up sounds great too. You don't be disappointed in the Slash set if you go that route.
                        I mostly want an A2P loaded guitar. Haven't had one in a long time. Current Caddy Lineup:
                        - PG set (Bridge 9k)
                        - PG-n Custom-b
                        - Distortion set
                        - Stock-n JB-b
                        - Stock Triple Humbuckers - likely to become PG/Distortion-n/Custom someday

Just looking mostly for a more standard sound, moderate output. I play Sweet Child with the PG's now, or the stock neck, and it sounds wonderful.

Comment

I have both sets in guitars that I use regularly and there is definitely a difference in the high end. I've even gone from APH1 to APH2 in the same Les Paul and noticed a significant difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            I mostly want an A2P loaded guitar. Haven't had one in a long time. Current Caddy Lineup:
                            - PG set (Bridge 9k)
                            - PG-n Custom-b
                            - Distortion set
                            - Stock-n JB-b
                            - Stock Triple Humbuckers - likely to become PG/Distortion-n/Custom someday

Just looking mostly for a more standard sound, moderate output. I play Sweet Child with the PG's now, or the stock neck, and it sounds wonderful.
                            Nice variety! Could do a great classic rock set (Bad Co, etc) with the PG set or A2P set.

Comment

I never got on with the Slash pickups as a set. Individually, fine, but the neck overpowered the bridge too much for my taste, and I even ended up getting a CS bridge part of which's spec was to better balance against the Slash neck position. Onlly briefly had some A2Ps in an Epi double-neck, which seemed to be the one set that worked with 12 string without being overbearing
                              My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I like PG's more than A2P's...

So I don't get it. Why change those PG's? 9K PGb is kinda the whole point of the Slash sig A2P, no? I know I know the DC is not the end of the story, but 9K PGb maaan! That must be a good pickup!

B
                                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                                X