12-56 Strings in Standard E tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12-56 Strings in Standard E tuning?

i used to run a 12-52 set in my V for some years, mind you my V it's actually 25 1/2 scale, and played that E standar, the hardest part was consistenly getting a 12-52 set whenever the previous one was done, if you want to move across very different tunings get a second guitar, going back and forth with tunings so far apart with the same set won't be so good for the guitar in the long run. A good thing you get from 12s is that when you move to something with lighter strings your bends will be massive.

Nowadays i run a 10-46 set in D but that's mainly cuz they are more readily avaible at the local store.

Comment

The issue isn't whether or not it's foolish or wise or right or wrong to use .12s on E standard. It's whether it's advisable to use .12s and then constantly tune down and up from E standard to C on the same guitar. IMO that is just asking for trouble. Your intonation is going to be all over the place, and God only knows what's going to happen to your neck. And for what? Pick up a good budget guitar (of which there are many, in this day and age) and keep that guitar in a specific tuning, so you can have your cake and eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post

Nowadays i run a 10-46 set in D but that's mainly cuz they are more readily avaible at the local store.
        I ran 10s tuned to D’ for the longest time. That is an excellent combination. Right now I’m running 9s at Eb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OKC View Post
          I ran 10s tuned to D’ for the longest time. That is an excellent combination. Right now I’m running 9s at Eb.

What's the scale length on your guitar, if I may ask? I'm currently running .11/52 at Eb on a Gibson-scale Schecter. I'm curious to try lighter strings in E flat, but I'm worried that going too light would result in spaghetti noodle strings on a 24 3/4" guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
            What's the scale length on your guitar, if I may ask? I'm currently running .11/52 at Eb on a Gibson-scale Schecter. I'm curious to try lighter strings in E flat, but I'm worried that going too light would result in spaghetti noodle strings on a 24 3/4" guitar.
            It's very much a touch thing. If you have a light touch and are very precise with your bends light strings work great. If you occasionally get excited and whack the strings hard you might not like 'em. No harm in trying (other than exploding necks). :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Like taking all the strings off and cleaning the fretboard?
              No. Say there’s 120 lbs of tension on a guitar at pitch. If you dive bomb, it goes from 120 to zero in a second, then back to 120, or higher if you pull the bar back all the way.

Removing the strings to clean the fretboard slowly decreases approximately 20 lbs of tension at a time as you loosen each string.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Like taking all the strings off and cleaning the fretboard?
                No. Say there’s 120 lbs of tension on a guitar at pitch. If you dive bomb, it goes from 120 to zero in a second, then back to 120, or higher if you pull the bar back all the way.

Removing the strings to clean the fretboard slowly decreases approximately 20 lbs of tension at a time as you loosen each string.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                  I had a Gibson scale USA Jackson and I always ran 9s at standard 440. The charvel I have now is 25-1/2 scale and I run 9 -42.

I owned a fender HM Strat that was a 25.0 scale and it had 10s tuned down to ‘D’ the whole time I owned it and it was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    It's very much a touch thing. If you have a light touch and are very precise with your bends light strings work great. If you occasionally get excited and whack the strings hard you might not like 'em. No harm in trying (other than exploding necks). :P
                    I just had my Charvel plek’d and he ask if I wanted the strings low or super low. I told him low and I wish they were lower. And you are right about pressing the strings down too hard. I have 9s and I don’t notice it so much until I do bar chords. This isn’t really a strumming guitar anyway. Also I just retrofitted it with a new OFR, Big brass block & Nut, with 3 springs on the claw, maybe if I added more springs? Anyway the only thing I do with this guitar is rip up and down the neck anyway. This is the fastest guitar I have. I have a USA Martin D-1 for chords.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Correct but OP was wanting to go from E-440 to drop C. If you adjust the trust rod, supposedly it’s only 1/4 of a turn every 24 hours. How many 1/4 turns will it take to get from those tunings to another? How many songs will he play with the action too high and then having the strings fretting out? And if this guitar has a Floyd then we’re going to be running the claw screws in and out. I never seen anyone else talk about exploding necks, only trying to give OP solid advice. Mythbusters actually set out to see if you could polish a turd [emoji90] and they did it! So can it be done? Absolutely.

Comment

Just for fun, I thought I’d mention the strings I just put on my Dobro. It’s a squareneck, so not really comparable to other guitars, but the strings are crazy heavy. 18, 18 (yes, two 18s), 26p, 38, 48, 59. Also, it’s tuned open G, with the bottom two strings tuned up to G and B, so low to high, it goes GBDGBD. Well over 200lbs of tension.

Comment

Cuts cheese, vegetables and plays the country blues.

Comment

Working...
                          X