Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12-56 Strings in Standard E tuning?

Originally posted by OKC View Post
    i agree. If you want to go cheap, Ebay has some Charvel Desolation guitars that were made in China and no one ever liked them. They come loaded with SD blackouts and Active EMGs. I bought one that had to have some work, frets crowned and leveled and its great guitar. I keep it tuned at Drop C'. If you want different turnings get another guitar. Its hard enough to keep a guitar accurate in the same tuning.
    I like the Desolation series

Comment

Originally posted by TrainNutter View Post
      Is it possible to tune 12-56s in Standard E? (6 string guitar)
      As others said, it's possible but why bother?

If I were you, I would tune the guitar to Standard D/Drop C as a compromise. Not too low for Standard E, not to high for Drop#A.

But then the question is, do you want to play for yourself or with a band? You don't need to play songs in the same tuning they were recorded for home sessions. I don't have a guitar in B Standard and I played Amon Amarth on Standard C, no problem.

Comment

I use 13-56 strings on all of my guitars, electric and acoustic. Some are round wound, some are flat wound. Of course the guitars need to be set up for the strings, as is true with any strings. If you change gauges you should expect to change your guitar's setup, and not just the truss rod.

I think it has been generally forgotten that heavier gauge strings used to be the norm. I think it was in the 1960's when lighter gauge strings became popular. I use heavier gauge strings because I think they have a fuller sound, especially on acoustic guitars. But I don't play a lot of music with distortion, where I think lower tones can become very muddy so lighter gauge strings may be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainNutter View Post
          Hi,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to guitars (I'd say advanced beginner?)

I ordered 12-56 Strings in order to have a go at playing some Cannible corpse (with A# tuning) and as I like to play songs ina variety of tunings, mostly being D# Standard and E standard. Its kind brutal ik to tune down to A# for a bit then go back up to E.

Is it possible to tune 12-56s in Standard E? (6 string guitar)

This is what i ordered:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]105047[/ATTACH]
          I would order a set of 10s. Personal preference. You can also use 9s or 11s but I like tens.

Use these for general music making

The gauges you mentioned are basically specialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

so much of it comes down to personal preference and what you are trying to do. there are guys out there that bend the **** out of 13's on a tele in standard tuning and guys that cant bend 10's in tune on a les paul. i put 11s on everything (electrics anyway) and always play in standard tuning unless im doing a specific song in an open tuning. i can get by on 10s and could make it through a gig on 12s but 11s feel right to me. if 9s on a lp feel good, then use em. same with 13s, if you like em then use em.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              so much of it comes down to personal preference and what you are trying to do. there are guys out there that bend the **** out of 13's on a tele in standard tuning and guys that cant bend 10's in tune on a les paul. i put 11s on everything (electrics anyway) and always play in standard tuning unless im doing a specific song in an open tuning. i can get by on 10s and could make it through a gig on 12s but 11s feel right to me. if 9s on a lp feel good, then use em. same with 13s, if you like em then use em.
              +1

Different string guages sound slightly different, but they can feel wildly different to play. Being able to play well enough to connect with your instrument is worth way more than any tonal fact . . . because if your playing is crap it doesn't matter what tone you're getting. Use the strings that you find comfortable. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My issue isn't the feel or the tuning. It's that he's changing from C# to E with some frequency.

You can change a half step or a string gauge usually with no problem.

But both going from E with 10's to say Eb with 9's, you'll most likely see/feel a noticeable difference.

From C# to E - same deal likely, whatever gauge.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i would never be happy with the same set going from e to c#, way too much difference. when i had a d standard tuned guitar it had 13's, tried 12s for a while but liked the bigger ones better.

Comment

12-56 Strings in Standard E tuning?

I agree. I don’t even play the same songs or use the same pic on different strings. on my E flat guitar I use 9-42 and use a jazz pic. on my drop C guitar I use a light top heavy bottom and use a tortex green pic. Completely different songs. Then I have a Martin and I use whatever it calls for with a light pick for chords and a jazz pic for articulated chords.

Comment

12-56 at E would feel like a bass to me.

Comment

Listen to Ace, you will be wrecking you guitar's neck.
                        Long term maybe get another guitar to have different tunings, short term the idea of a drop tune pedal is great.

Comment

If tuning all over the place with a single set of strings was gonna cause problems, people who dive bomb with Floyds would have necks exploding constantly.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatic_Guardian View Post
                            Listen to Ace, you will be wrecking you guitar's neck.
                            Long term maybe get another guitar to have different tunings, short term the idea of a drop tune pedal is great.
                            It won’t hurt the guitar neck. Necks have a truss rod to counter the strings’ tension.

If you put heavier (higher tension) strings on the guitar at standard pitch you will have to adjust the rod tighter. But if you then tune down to C or something, you will probably have to loosen the rod back to wear it was for lighter gauge at standard pitch.

So nothing will get hurt as long as you set the guitar up. If you’re doing drastic tubings on the same guitar that gets to be inconvenient. So people set up different guitars for different tunings.

But you can tune a standard guitar in DADGAD or something with no problems.

The worst that can happen is your truss rod isn’t adjusted right, and either you have up bow and high action, or it will back bow and fret out.

Today I was setting up a Jazz Bass to play tuned down to C#. I only had to put medium gauge strings on and adjust the truss rod to get the neck straight. Then set the intonation after I adjusted the action.

What hurts a neck is putting on heavy strings and allowing it to upbow for prolonged periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              If tuning all over the place with a single set of strings was gonna cause problems, people who dive bomb with Floyds would have necks exploding constantly.
                              I use a Floyd on a guitar with 11s. My guitar hasn't exploded in the past ten years . . . but from the responses in this thread, it's a ticking time bomb! :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's not a time bomb. Necks can handle it. It'll just give you screwed up intonation and relief in one tuning or the other, and either very tight tuning or very loose tuning in one of the tunings (depending on which tuning the guitar is optimized for). For this reason alone, I'd get a second guitar for one of the tunings. Sour intonation is a total deal killer IMO.
                                Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-02-2020, 04:09 PM.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X