I have a question about pots....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about pots....

so I have a les paul with a duncan 59 and JB in them. the tone and volume controls are very responsive. There's a new sound across the whole range with allows for a very versatile guitar overall

My strat (HH master tone, master vol), this is not the case. The pots offer almost no variation. There is little difference between setting it to 10 or 7 or 5. The only noticible differences are at 1 or 2

Is this a strat thing? An issue with pot values? The type of pot?

Re: I have a question about pots....

It is the type of pot. Audio taper and linear taper.
    Usually audio taper for volume and linear for tone.
    Of course there are other variables such as wiring in a resistor etc that can change the taper as well.
    And personal preference is also a factor. Some players prefer a certain taper...

Comment

Try swapping linear taper for volume and audio taper for tone.

Comment

Why not use all linear taper pots?

Comment

Try each combination. You’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Try swapping linear taper for volume and audio taper for tone.
            why not audio for both?

Comment

Audio taper turns down more quickly while linear taper turns down more gradually.

Also, the value of the pot, 250k 500k etc, will not affect the taper for the volume, but it absolutely will screw up the taper for the tone if it is too large. For example, a 500k linear tone will take forever when turning down to get any effect. Well below 5. A 500k audio taper tone can work. However the best solution for me personally is to just use 250k no load tones in all situations. That way it's as bright as you need it on 10 and it already starts to come in subtley on 9. 1 meg as a tone is out of the question.

So to get the taper you want for volume the only thing you need to consider is if it's linear or audio taper. While with tones, the value of the pot will also affect the taper.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by greg.delta View Post
                why not audio for both?
                Have a look at these experiments:

Guitar Electronics - the basics of electric guitar controls, how and why they work the way they do, put together in a way that can be informative to experts ...

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Audio taper turns down more quickly while linear taper turns down more gradually.

Also, the value of the pot, 250k 500k etc, will not affect the taper for the volume, but it absolutely will screw up the taper for the tone if it is too large. For example, a 500k linear tone will take forever when turning down to get any effect. Well below 5. A 500k audio taper tone can work. However the best solution for me personally is to just use 250k no load tones in all situations. That way it's as bright as you need it on 10 and it already starts to come in subtley on 9. 1 meg as a tone is out of the question.

So to get the taper you want for volume the only thing you need to consider is if it's linear or audio taper. While with tones, the value of the pot will also affect the taper.
                  what is it likely I have now? neither pt seems to be effective. 1-2 re one sound, 3-8 is another, 9-10 are full out. theres no gradual

Comment

Working...
                  X