Thread: Fender Custom build guitars?

Default Fender Custom build guitars?

I've tried to navigate the Fender site about having them build me a custom guitar- but couldn't figure it out.
    I don't even know if they do it.

What I want is essentially, the Jeff Beck Strat (current model with thin C shape neck) but with an H/S/H pickguard configuration (I was thinking Pearly Gates bridge and neck with Cool Rail in the middle).
    Also, I have some other minor wiring requirements that aren't that exotic.
    I could care less about the neck stock having the JB signature on it- I just want the same C shape neck with the LSR nut, medium jumbo frets and the locking tuners.(but the locking tuners wouldn't be a deal breaker)- and I want the 2 point trem system.
    Should I attempt to have Fender build me this guitar, or is there already an H/S/H/ model with a 2 point trem, LSR nut and C shape neck already in production? (I couldn't find one)

Perhaps there is a production model that I could just spend a little extra and replace the pickups to me desire?

I am at a little loss for what direction to take.
    I also considered a Warmoth build, but it seemed way to complicated. I'd like to receive the guitar ready to plug and play.
    I'd even consider a Squier, but I don't believe they make any Strats with the LSR nut.

Does anyone have a good idea on how I should proceed to end up with a guitar with the specs I want?

Thank you,
    Kurt in Maine

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

Default Re: Fender Custom build guitars?

Just change the pickups on a Jeff Beck.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Just change the pickups on a Jeff Beck.
    Yeah- was thinking of that- maybe going with moderate output single size humbuckers, like Little 59 bridge and 2 Cool Rails. . .
    I just like three pickup configuration (with the 2 notch positions) but with med output 'bucker tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep2019 View Post
    Yeah- was thinking of that- maybe going with moderate output single size humbuckers, like Little 59 bridge and 2 Cool Rails. . .
    I just like three pickup configuration (with the 2 notch positions) but with med output 'bucker tones.
    It's routed for H/S/H so you only need to change pickguard and drop in the pickups you want.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    It's routed for H/S/H so you only need to change pickguard and drop in the pickups you want.
    That's a happy surprise!
    Still it seems Like after the new pickups and pick guard (and wiring) it would end up be $2,000 dollars. That's a little beyond my budget.

I'm thinking I'd have to try to find a mid-range$ Strat and add the LSR nut and change the pickups. Maybe like an H/S/H Blacktop (MIM) if they still are available. Then I could still be under $1,500 perhaps?

The Jeff Beck is a slightly modified Strat Plus from the 80s/90s. Unfortunately people love them now (no idea why) so prices have skyrocketed. If you can find one you like at a decent price, they are all routed HSH, so drop in the Pickguard of your choice.

The other option is just build it yourself. Get a Jeff Beck neck, MIA 2-post body and the pickguard of your choice.

By the way, the answer to your question is yes, they will build that for you. Itll spec out at about $4,200 I bet.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I don't think Fender's shop will use non-Fender pickups. There are times when you can get the Jeff Beck neck online, and build your own. or attach it to another body...it will be a lot cheaper.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I don't think Fender's shop will use non-Fender pickups. There are times when you can get the Jeff Beck neck online, and build your own. or attach it to another body...it will be a lot cheaper.
    They will, look at page 62.

http://www.fmicassets.com/sites/fend...sign_Guide.pdf
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I would make what you want out of Musikraft parts. They have a bajillion neck profiles. One of them has to fit the bill for you.

You do have to send them a special note that you will be installing an LSR nut.

And they have a deal with MJT that gives you a discount on finishing if you have the MK parts shipped straight to MJT for finishing. Get Closet Clean if you don't like relics (as I do not).

It won't be cheap, but if you were going to spend what it takes to custom order from Fender, you can definitely afford to go this route.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-25-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

fender will make you a custom guitar but itll be expensive. better to find a used one that has the features you want and buy a new pickguard and pups

Quote Originally Posted by Pep2019 View Post
    That's a happy surprise!
    Still it seems Like after the new pickups and pick guard (and wiring) it would end up be $2,000 dollars. That's a little beyond my budget.
    as others have noted, if your budget is under $2000, you can forget about the fender custom shop

Partscaster? Lots of options if you're willing to assemble it yourself.

Toneologist YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar

Always buy used for custom shop. You won't take a hit on the initial value if you resell. I personally wouldn't drop that kind of coin ($3750+) on a bolt-on guitar. There's a 2020 NAMM 60/63 Strat I wish I could buy, but its overpriced by ~$2475 ($4675 w/ 15% off, $5500 retail). I'm sorry, but no.

There are multiple custom shop strats on Reverb going for under $2000. You just have to be patient. Your options will be limited however. I see them go for $1750 most of the time on Craigslist or Reverb. They are mostly Closet Classics or *NOS Thin Skins.

Reverb currently has an used Jeff Beck strat for $1109 plus tax/shipping. Stratosphere also has an Olympic white loaded body/neck if you wish to buy separately.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-28-2020 at 09:47 PM.