DiMarzio Breed Vs. AT-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Breed Vs. AT-1

I'm thinking of replacing my Tone Zone with a Breed or AT-1. The guitar is routed for DiMarzio and is very shallow so really only takes their short pole pieces and I want to keep it DiMarzio, at least for now.

I realize I don't really love ceramics anymore, and am mainly focusing on hot A5 pick ups like these two. Any thoughts on one versus the other? I play alot of hard rock and metal (very little nu-metal and no djent) mixed with other stuff, so I do like it a bit versatile too.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: DiMarzio Breed Vs. AT-1

You didn't say what guitar you were putting it in. I tried the AT-1 twice because I love Andy Timmons' albums, but I really didn't like the At-1. It seemed like it was a very unbalanced pickup. I can't remember which, but either the bass or treble side felt very stiff and present, and the other felt very spongy and softer. Both times I ended up with the pickup set very unevenly with the pole pieces raised high on one side and really low on the other. I never could dial out the unbalanced feel.
    I love the Breed bridge in an Alder Jackson DK2M, but I did not like it in Basswood Ibanez RG's. I personally like the Tone Zone better than both of them.

Comment

The Breed has more lower mids and a thicker, rolled-back top end. It's a well balanced pickup, but can feel a bit loose on the bottom in some guitars. Many players have called it a "polite" Tone Zone and that's actually a fairly decent description.

The AT-1 still has rolled off highs, so it doesn't get piercing, but it is noticeably tighter and brighter than the Breed with a little more of that upper-mid punch that helps it stand out in a mix, if that's what you're after. I find the harmonics on the AT-1 to be more abundant, as well, closer to pickups like the JB and Fred.

Comment

I LOVE my Gravity Storm that I put in my Ibanez AZ. I was considering the breed and AT-1 but this one seemed to be people's choice for an all-rounder. Add me to the list.

It's probably the first pickup I felt sounded perfect within the first 5 minutes of installing it. Works for blues to Megadeth (sounds like a JB with Marshall gain, but backs off really well for lighter overdrive). Great clarity too, and the high notes are perfect - definitely a Vai pickup in the sense of being a great one for leads.
        Last edited by Nagisa; 05-26-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

What don't you like about the Tone Zone? Technically, it's also a "hot A5" pickup, after all

Some people have had really good luck modifying the Tone Zone, so that's a possibility, depending on what you want from it.

I hear only great things about the Gravity Storm set. I almost bought a set myself recently as I was also looking to move away from the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo in one of my guitars, but I ultimately settled on the Transition set, which, despite being ceramic-based on paper, is surprisingly dynamic and responds much more like an Alnico pickup set. BuddRoyce, the DiMarzio forum administrator, gave his review of both the Gravity Storm and Transition pickups a while back and came to the conclusion that both sets were some of DiMarzio's best, but the Transitions were his pick for overall versatility. Food for thought.

I will say that the AT-1 sounds incredible in my Jackson Rhoads with 500K pots. It's a guitar that has proven to be particularly picky about pickups. If pickups were thick enough to tame its piercing top end, then they often weren't tight enough or they lacked the harmonic qualities I like under gain. If they were tight enough, they were either overly hot or too harsh through the upper registers. The JB was actually decent in this guitar and the Black Winter was close to perfect, if not a little snappy and bright, but the AT-1 is the perfect middle ground in this case. It's juicy, tight, dynamic and a real rocker from top to bottom. Nice note separation and a smooth treble response with a dose of attitude when you dig in. Plus, really musical sounding harmonics for days. It's a keeper in that guitar for sure.

Comment

The Tone Zone is actually very good, I'm just tweaking and trying to make it sound a little better =D. After everything, it might just stay. Bear in mind that I kept the guitar stock from July of last year until relatively recently, so I spent a lot of time with it as is.

Comment

So I ended up putting a Breed in the Ibanez and I really like it so far. It is a bit tighter with more mids than the Tone Zone, which to my ears makes it sound more aggressive. I know folks say it is a more polite Tone Zone but I'm not sure what that means and I don't quit hear it =D. Lead tone is fantastic with a bit more bite/upper mids than the Tone Zone and really sings. Cleans are good too =D.

Comment

The Breed is clearer than the Tone Zone and a little less bloated in the low end, but isn't really as high in output, though it's not a weak pickup by any means. It's a good all-around pickup and sounds like it's working well in your setup. Glad you decided to give it a try!

Comment

I have a really bright Korina V and was looking to fatten it up and stumbled upon a used Breed neck. Based on specs, I keep wondering about which to go with Breed bridge or AT1. In the past I havent been a fan of the TZ, was told to try the AZ or AT1. Admittedly, often I would try to brighten up guitars so understandably the TZ doesnt fit that bill. Always was told the AT1 is similar to the EVH EMBB axis pup with the air technology. Also have read that AT was a huge Breed fan until his AT1. Perhaps there isnt a wrong choice? I also have an EVO bridge to try...but people consider it cold compared to the Breed. Appreciate the feedback! I will buy new so, part of me thinks go with the Breed (as Dimarzio doesnt stock it anymore for production) and then if I dont dig it, call up DZ and swap for AT1.
                  Last edited by krovatron; 07-31-2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

There really isn't a bad choice here. Personally, I favor the AT-1 slightly, but it's all so subjective and you really can't go wrong either way. Logically, a Breed bridge is going to be a solid pairing next to the Breed neck as they were designed to work well together. I will say that the AT-1 was exactly what my brightest sounding Jackson Rhoads V needed in order to tame its thinness and give it body while retaining adequate cut and really stellar harmonics. I had the Breed in that guitar previously and the AT-1 was just a bit more satisfying for *my* tastes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Breed in another guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      There really isn't a bad choice here. Personally, I favor the AT-1 slightly, but it's all so subjective and you really can't go wrong either way. Logically, a Breed bridge is going to be a solid pairing next to the Breed neck as they were designed to work well together. I will say that the AT-1 was exactly what my brightest sounding Jackson Rhoads V needed in order to tame its thinness and give it body while retaining adequate cut and really stellar harmonics. I had the Breed in that guitar previously and the AT-1 was just a bit more satisfying for *my* tastes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Breed in another guitar.
                      Thanks Masta. Care to briefly share your tastes? I will say the Breed in the neck is FAT and powerful...I have it set low and see it potentially being an amazing bridge pup if it is a PAF Pro on steroids. I may even tey it in parallel.

I had a chance to put a '93 EVO in the V bridge and was blown away by how great it sounded. I don't play anything like the great Vai, but understand why he would dig it. It just sings, takes so much gain and retains great clarity. The chug was decent, better than expected for fast rifting power chord rock. It doesnt strike me to be a ceramic pickup. There will always be a part of me that loves that active EMG 85 tone for the chug stuff.

It seems like the AT1 maybe closer to my goals/taste. Worried the Breed bridge maybe too warm in this Korina V... Bah, wish I could quickly swap pups and A/B them

Comment

I like the AT-1 for general playing...hard rock leads and crunch tones, '80s hair metal (Ratt, VH, etc), progressive rock (i.e. Dream Theater, Satriani, Steve Vai), etc. It's an incredibly versatile pickup in the right guitar and has a lot of dynamic range for a medium-hot pickup.

When I want to play heavier styles (metalcore, black metal, etc) that require a little more output, crunch and cut, I tend to reach for a guitar with Black Winters in it.

BTW, the original Evolution (aka: EVO) is an incredible pickup. If the EMG 81 and the AT-1 had a baby, the EVO would definitely be it!

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
                          I have a really bright Korina V and was looking to fatten it up and stumbled upon a used Breed neck. Based on specs, I keep wondering about which to go with Breed bridge or AT1. In the past I havent been a fan of the TZ, was told to try the AZ or AT1. Admittedly, often I would try to brighten up guitars so understandably the TZ doesnt fit that bill. Always was told the AT1 is similar to the EVH EMBB axis pup with the air technology. Also have read that AT was a huge Breed fan until his AT1. Perhaps there isnt a wrong choice? I also have an EVO bridge to try...but people consider it cold compared to the Breed. Appreciate the feedback! I will buy new so, part of me thinks go with the Breed (as Dimarzio doesnt stock it anymore for production) and then if I dont dig it, call up DZ and swap for AT1.
                          Late answer, but not quite zombie thread time yet, I think.

I'd seriously consider putting your Breed neck in bridge position.
                          Great medium output option for a bright guitar, unless you really need high output.
                          In fact, the Breed neck is almost as hot as the bridge: 325mV vs 356mV according to DiMarzio specs.
                          That's hotter than the FRED.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Realize I never followed up with you all. If I didn't build the V I would have sold it by now. Never have had such a journey to find a pickup set that fits.

The AT1 and Breed neck were okay in the V and then swapped to my wannabe Axis carved top build where they shine. Although I put an UA5 in the AT1...I probably should try the A5 and remove the air tech. The Breed neck is ridiculous...I prefer under 9k neck pickups and realize Vais neck pickups are pretty hot.

Currently have a Ua5 Jazz and RCA2 JB in the V with 300k pots. Now its dark lmao.... the RCA2 dynamics are amazing...thinking of trying 500k pot first and then maybe RCA5 for the JB. This JB wind is under 15k too.

I have a SH12 and SH7 on deck. Took out the double ceramic on the Sh7 / sh6n and not sure what magnet to go with. Oh experimenting. Miss the days I just stuck a pickup in and played.

And I feel like the EVO is a pickup I stayed away from for too long as I always associated it with Vai and Dragonforce. It is seriously awesome in everything I have tried.

Comment

Yah, IMO the Breed neck is really more of a bridge pickup - quite good there in the right guitar though.

For a bright korina guitar, you might think about a double thick A6 in the SH-7. (Just a hunch. Haven't tried it myself.)
                              Still, seems like a good fit - A6 is beefy yet less sharp in the highs than A5.

I once put a doublethick A8 in a DDn and liked it. But that was in neck position.
                              I think A8 would still be mighty bright at the bridge, especially so in this case.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X