Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Often Do You Change Your Optimas?

To go along with the other thread (How often do you change your Elixers?) -

Seriously, you want looooong lasting strings? get Optimas.

I had a set that lasted over a year (played roughly every three days).

Gold simply does not tarnish.

Re: How Often Do You Change Your Optimas?

"Pure" gold doesn't tarnish. But you won't often find pure gold used for anything other than electronics.

ALL gold alloys will tarnish.

Besides, gold is too soft to use for guitar strings. They would be continually stretching and going out of tune. And they would sound pretty dull..."wet blanket". Even if only the windings were gold, the core steel wire would still corrode and require changing the strings (even if the gold still LOOKED pretty).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Dean Markley Alchemy acoustic strings were far and away my favourite. They were gold coloured, lasted a really long time, and sounded great. Unfortunately, the bastards stopped making them several years back.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

$20 for strings?

I guess my Elixirs are $12 now. Damn... inflation.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          "Pure" gold doesn't tarnish. But you won't often find pure gold used for anything other than electronics.

ALL gold alloys will tarnish.

Besides, gold is too soft to use for guitar strings. They would be continually stretching and going out of tune. And they would sound pretty dull..."wet blanket". Even if only the windings were gold, the core steel wire would still corrode and require changing the strings (even if the gold still LOOKED pretty).
          Don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em.

And, they're gold coated... 24K
          Last edited by LLL; 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            $20 for strings?

I guess my Elixirs are $12 now. Damn... inflation.
            $30 in some cases.

But when they last 1 year, what's cheaper - one set of Optimas, or 26 sets of "X" brand?

Not to mention the time to change strings...
            Last edited by LLL; 06-02-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I change them when I want to change gauges or another brand, tweak the setup, or other mods. I had the gold wear off from picking/strumming back in the 70’s, but the newest ones I haven’t had wear out yet. I’ve had to just cut them off before they wore out, to make the other changes.

Comment

You know what, that looks like the perfect string for a collector's axe. I mean something rare that you don't abuse daily but might pick up on occasion. I've never played them but thanks for the idea.

Comment

Just a note, Optimas are very bright compared to steel and certainly nickel strings. The only thing nearly similar as bright I’ve found are black coated boomers.

Comment

After winning 20 sets, I have used Optima Golds, it's a while ago though.
                    Surely not bad strings, but the gold plating did come off in my case, especially on the unwound strings.
                    Considering the price I stopped using them, to me they did not justify the price compared to coated strings.
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                      You know what, that looks like the perfect string for a collector's axe. I mean something rare that you don't abuse daily but might pick up on occasion. I've never played them but thanks for the idea.
                      Exactly.

My typical usage for these strings is to slap em on guitars I don't play everyday... although I have used them on regular axes (like
                      in my OP where the strings lasted over a year).

And yes, they are a little brighter until they wear in.

Comment

Working...
                      X