What is your Goldilocks slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Goldilocks slide?

I recently got interested in learning slide so, I picked a few different ones to try out. I am still trying to figure out what works best for me.

To my subjective ear, ceramic and metal are a good and better with glass sounding best. I also prefer the lighter weight of the glass for maneuverability, but find I am more prone to try to mash it into the frets than with the extra weight of the heavy wall chromed brass. With a heavier slide I tend to just let it sit on the strings. But the flip side of that is it is much harder to move around the fretboard.

I think I prefer the shorter ones again for maneuverability, but it seems the longer ones are maybe a little easier to keep aligned with the frets. On the other hand, I could see the longer ones that freeze the middle joint causing me wrist problems over time. I am playing all of them except one pinky slide (glass #212) on my ring finger. The pinky seems very hard to control since we as humans don't use our pinkies for much by themselves. But I can investing some time to improve coordination for the advantage of having 3 fingers free to fret notes behind the slide.

Except for the ceramic Joe Perry, they were all around $5 each, give or take so a fairly cheap experiment. I came across another, called the Rock Slide which are available in both glass and brass, but they are ~$24 each. Their selling point is ergonomics, specifically a knuckle cutout and rest inside the slide to stabilize your fingertip. https://www.therockslide.com/

Can anyone share any experience with the Rock Slide and are they easier to use and control than your typical / basic section of a cylinder?

Like everything else, I realize slide selection is typically going to be a compromise of pros and cons in each material, size and weight.

What are your favorites and why?

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5854502
    Last edited by AniML; 05-25-2020, 02:51 PM.

Re: What is your Goldilocks slide?

If given the choice I like heavy brass for how they sound, and porcelain for how light and easy they are to play.

As long as they are a tight fit on my little finger, I'm a happy camper though.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do they come in tungsten carbide?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Or maybe titanium?

Comment

Do they come in tungsten carbide?
          If you're gonna go dense and heavy, why stop there? Depleted uranium should fill the bill.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            If you're gonna go dense and heavy, why stop there? Depleted uranium should fill the bill.
            I'm thinking that a slide made of tungsten carbide should be a lot easier to get, given that they make wedding bands from it. Have yet to hear of a DU wedding band.
            And both tungsten carbide and titanium have a nice ring to them when struck.

Comment

i have a pile of slides: pyrex and glass bottles and tubes, chrome, brass, porcelain, ceramic. my goldilocks slides were made by the real bottlenecking company more than a decade ago and are all lost to hard surfaces and they are out of business. for electric i prefer a heavier glass bottle that is tight on my ring finger. still havent found a perfect replacement for the ones i lost but i keep tryin. for acoustic, i prefer brass and currently use a rockslide that chris was nice enough to let me keep after trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i have a pile of slides: pyrex and glass bottles and tubes, chrome, brass, porcelain, ceramic. my goldilocks slides were made by the real bottlenecking company more than a decade ago and are all lost to hard surfaces and they are out of business. for electric i prefer a heavier glass bottle that is tight on my ring finger. still havent found a perfect replacement for the ones i lost but i keep tryin. for acoustic, i prefer brass and currently use a rockslide that chris was nice enough to let me keep after trying it.
                So that's the first response making mention of a Rock Slide. I guess the question to you is, "if you lost the one you got for free, would you pay to replace it?"

Anyone else have any experience with the glass or brass rock slide? I understand the much higher price than your typical Dunlop or other "generic" slides, especially with the brass slide given the additional manufactuing steps. At the heart of this thread, I am trying to figure if the ergonomics make a difference to most people or if it is more of a market differentiator.

Comment

I dabble in slide here and there and would really like to get my chops better in that arena. I have glass, chrome, brass and a Joe Perry Boneyard slide. My favs are the brass and Boneyard. I'm more consistent on the brass but I love the tone with the Boneyard.

Comment

I have a big heart robert johnson bronze slide that sounds awesome on acoustic. I also have a ceramic mudslide as well.

I don’t know which I’m worse at, slide or harmonica. I’ll clearly never be a bluesman.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      I have a big heart robert johnson bronze slide that sounds awesome on acoustic. I also have a ceramic mudslide as well.

I don’t know which I’m worse at, slide or harmonica. I’ll clearly never be a bluesman.
                      Too bad my kids are grown and not around to hear me in my learning phase. It would be sweet revenge from their elementary school band/orchestra instrument practice - a clarinet, a french horn and a viola

Comment

i tried one glass rockslide and didnt love it but im so dialed in on what i want from a glass slide and i didnt order this one specifically, so im not surprised i didnt love it. the brass one i like a lot and use it over the other simple brass slides i have. as someone who plays slide a fair amount i dont have a problem with paying a fair price for a good slide. hell, i have a bunch that i paid $10 or whatever for that ill probably never use so whats paying $30 or $40 for something that ill use for years. i dont lose things, but sadly glass does break

Comment

Has anyone tried this guy's bottlenecks?

Comment

The Dunlop 218 is my sweet spot, I have a few other really good ones but that is my go to generally
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I like the heavy brass ones that fit right on top of my wedding ring. You can lighten up with a heavy slide, but you can only press so hard with a light one.
                              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                              X