THROUGH DARKNESS INTO LIGHT -- completed prog rock songwriting demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THROUGH DARKNESS INTO LIGHT -- completed prog rock songwriting demo

This one was a real pleasure to work on, it was so much fun challenging myself to top the last couple of As Follows albums. Here is the completed demo for the new prog song, which will be part of the upcoming As Follows album (probable release date, January 2021). I have a new drummer lined up: another session drummer from London, by sheer coincidence. Also on deck is the singer from the second and third album, Kurt Borst. The song is titled THROUGH DARKNESS INTO LIGHT and is based on the Tolkien story Beren And Luthien. Have a listen and let me know what you think!

The guitars still need to be reamped, and of course I have to wait for the vox and drums before I can even set up a rough mix, but I'm already starting to work on the follow up song. I wanted to return back to the prog world with something suitably epic and over the top; I hope I achieved that goal!

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-29-2020, 07:26 PM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: THROUGH DARKNESS INTO LIGHT -- completed prog rock songwriting demo

The song Blind Guardian missed from Nightfall in Middle Earth!

It's great. I'm looking forward for final piece.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      The song Blind Guardian missed from Nightfall in Middle Earth!

It's great. I'm looking forward for final piece.
      Hehe, thanks! It's actually about something similar, but I'll wait until the release version is out before I give it away.

Comment

Hey man, i mean this comment as something totally constructive to consider.. as I think there are cool ideas, sounds, and composition here but you are posting in tips and clips so I figure you are good with impressions and feedback.

I think the current drum truck sort of limits the potential of the overall composition -it's not necessarily the beats though -it's the sound and how exact on the timeline the beat is to me -it's not lively or organic at all -more precise and rigid -I think lively and roomy would bring another dimension to your hard work here.

-and BTW I'm not against tight programming, triggers or retro Alesis D4 style drum sounds -they fit well into so many songs really well -including some of the more spacey and trancey sort of tracks you've posted.

But for this one, with juxtaposing the lively notey style guitar transition into the relaxed keys part back and forth, I really think the drums could flow more behind, on or after the notes (depending on the part) like a real jazz/prog rock drummer would do.

But I enjoyed the track, nice stuff.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Hey man, i mean this comment as something totally constructive to consider.. as I think there are cool ideas, sounds, and composition here but you are posting in tips and clips so I figure you are good with impressions and feedback.

I think the current drum truck sort of limits the potential of the overall composition -it's not necessarily the beats though -it's the sound and how exact on the timeline the beat is to me -it's not lively or organic at all -more precise and rigid -I think lively and roomy would bring another dimension to your hard work here.

-and BTW I'm not against tight programming, triggers or retro Alesis D4 style drum sounds -they fit well into so many songs really well -including some of the more spacey and trancey sort of tracks you've posted.

But for this one, with juxtaposing the lively notey style guitar transition into the relaxed keys part back and forth, I really think the drums could flow more behind, on or after the notes (depending on the part) like a real jazz/prog rock drummer would do.

But I enjoyed the track, nice stuff.
          Thanks much for listening and feeding back, I appreciate it -- and, indeed, constructive criticism is welcome!

I totally hear what you're saying and if I were collaborating with a live drummer I have no doubt that's probably where this would go, at least in part. I have a feeling that when the actual drums from the session player are added it will add that sense of humanity that's missing. No argument here! If I were committed to using virtual drums, I would definitely be tinkering with the swing, ghost notes, etc. But since I use session drummers I don't bother with getting that deep with the songwriting demo.

(Edit: the drummer for the next album is Alex Marsichone, a great session drummer out of London.)
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-30-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
            Thanks much for listening and feeding back, I appreciate it -- and, indeed, constructive criticism is welcome!

I totally hear what you're saying and if I were collaborating with a live drummer I have no doubt that's probably where this would go, at least in part. I have a feeling that when the actual drums from the session player are added it will add that sense of humanity that's missing. No argument here! If I were committed to using virtual drums, I would definitely be tinkering with the swing, ghost notes, etc. But since I use session drummers I don't bother with getting that deep with the songwriting demo.

(Edit: the drummer for the next album is Alex Marsichone, a great session drummer out of London.)
            Didn't really listened the drums. Thought that they we're just a placeholder waiting for the actual drum track.^

I do the same when working with tracks. Just make up simple drumtrack for the piece to keep timing and set up ideas.

Yep, I meant I'll be looking forward the final production!
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
              Didn't really listened the drums. Thought that they we're just a placeholder waiting for the actual drum track.^

I do the same when working with tracks. Just make up simple drumtrack for the piece to keep timing and set up ideas.

Yep, I meant I'll be looking forward the final production!
              Coincidentally, the drum rough arrived today and -- holy hell -- big difference!

Comment

Wow, lots of great stuff in there. Dig the tones and dynamics. A little drawn out here and there for my tastes but I think the addition of vocals would make it seems less so.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Wow, lots of great stuff in there. Dig the tones and dynamics. A little drawn out here and there for my tastes but I think the addition of vocals would make it seems less so.
                  Thanks for listening! Best way to digest something like this is to think of it as 4 shorter songs in succession: I don't revisit any motives, keys, or themes so they are pretty self-contained under one central story, which will become apparent when the vocals are there lol.

I do appreciate the effort in listening to the entire thing in its unfinished state.

Comment

Working...
                  X