Bass Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass Blackouts

I'm pretty much settled on the Blackouts unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had mixed-luck with bass pickup swaps so far.

Put Antiquity Ps in my P bass and PJ. Ultimately didn't think they sounded enough different from the stock pickups to keep them. Replaced the Ant with an old school EMG P in the P bass, nuked the tone knob, and I love it.

Put DiMarzio Model Js in my Warwick. Love them.

My Meyers has a Delano ceramic MM pickup, with a 2-band John East preamp. If I put stainless steel strings on it, it's a little zingy and hi-fi. Right now, it has EB Cobalt Slinkies, and the tone is divine. Still modern, but full in all the right places, with no offending frequencies. I really want to put a bypass switch for the preamp on it, so I can hear the Delano by itself. Switching between different types of strings on that bass has given me more results than pickup swaps did in many guitars.

Just curious (not trying to talk you out of anything), did you replace the strings on your Jackson with the same, or try something radically different?
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I put a set of strings from these guys.
        They cryogenically treat them. They sound good, but the stock pickups just sound meh. I'm considering the Blackouts based on what I have heard about the guitar version.

Comment

Are you familiar with Jeff Hughell? He’s in Six Feet Under, and records solo stuff. He uses Blackouts in his 7 string Warwicks. Sounds muy aggressive.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Works for me. I'm a bid fan of DD Vernie and Dave Ellefson.

Comment

I have a set that I've been meaning to have put in one of my Spectors. I'll probably be getting that done within the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know what I think.

Comment

Alright!
                But really, given the current circumstances, I'm probably not going to be dropping cash on them any time soon. Maybe next year, if I'm still here.

Comment

Working...
                X