Phantom Power for Sennheiser e906

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Power for Sennheiser e906

Can this microphone "take" or rather, be unaffected by whether or not phantom power is on?

I have an audio interface that has 2 microphone preamps, but only 1 switch that toggles phantom power for both. I am planning on recording with that microphone and a condenser mic that needs phantom, but I want to make sure the phantom won't fry or otherwise damage my Sennheiser.

I know some dynamics can have phantom power applied without damaging or affecting them, but not all.

Thanks

Re: Phantom Power for Sennheiser e906

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
    Can this microphone "take" or rather, be unaffected by whether or not phantom power is on?

I have an audio interface that has 2 microphone preamps, but only 1 switch that toggles phantom power for both. I am planning on recording with that microphone and a condenser mic that needs phantom, but I want to make sure the phantom won't fry or otherwise damage my Sennheiser.

I know some dynamics can have phantom power applied without damaging or affecting them, but not all.

Thanks
    I don't know the answer, but I'm definitely on board with the question.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Shouldn't cause any damage.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...er-on-dynamics
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Damn. Now I'm going to have to track down an old H4n.
        @#$&!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I contacted my Sweetwater Sales guy, and he agrees with GuitarStv.

Using phantom on dynamics is almost never an issue. It can be an issue with some ribbon mics, but even then, it's not common anymore. It also does not affect noise in guitar recording either.

Basically, if you have a ribbon mic, especially a vintage one, then you should be concerned. Otherwise, not an issue.

Comment

right, dont use phantom power on an old ribbon mic or you wont have a working mic any more but dynamic mics are fine with it

Comment

I've always figured anyone rich enough to afford a ribbon mic probably works in a studio and already knows not to connect it to phantom power.

:P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I've always figured anyone rich enough to afford a ribbon mic probably works in a studio and already knows not to connect it to phantom power.

LOL
                You can get some very inexpensive ribbon mics these days.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I've got one and we all know that I'm an idiot

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  LOL

Like this guy, $250

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200526_130926841~2_compress37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5820681
                  Last edited by 80's_Metal; 05-26-2020, 02:15 PM.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

i had a pair of old shure ribbon mics that sounded glorious! not sure where they ran off to, but they ran off at somepoint. cool to have but a little delicate for anything id use em for anyway

Comment

I have a Cascade Fat Head that sounds great on guitar.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                        LOL
                        A cheap chinese ribbon mic is the secret weapon of the studio Clawfinger and Meshuggah use.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Does it really need a phantom power? I'm a noob in these questions, cause I started as a songwriter and cheap essay writer for vip clients. I like my e906 and use it regularly, just thought I should ask more experience users.

I've a Sennheiser e906 in my studio. Placement is, as usual, crucial here. It's a dynamic mic and it's not affected sonically by phantom power and doesn't require it anyway. I'll check seek the actual manual, when I get back home.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantWilson View Post

I've a Sennheiser e906 in my studio. Placement is, as usual, crucial here. It's a dynamic mic and it's not affected sonically by phantom power and doesn't require it anyway. I'll check seek the actual manual, when I get back home.
                            Since the OP posted this, I've purchased an e906, recorded with it, and accidentally turned on phantom power because I wasn't paying attention and hit the wrong button on my preamp. No problems.

Comment

No damage, it's a dynamic mic who gives no f***s
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X