Looking for a strat set . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a strat set . . .

Low output neck and middle with a bright scooped sound. Low-medium output bridge with a middier sound. They're going into a warm sounding ash body and quartersawn maple neck. Ideally, I'd like the pickups to not be staggered because I'll be using them with a 16" radius guitar, but I could probably deal with the stagger if I had to.

I really like the SSL-2/SSL-6 combo that I'm running in my main guitar right now, but those pickups are a little beefier than I think would be best for this ash guitar.

For the low output/bright stuff I've been thinking of:

- Fender custom '69
    - SD's psychadelic strat pickpus
    - Klein S5

For the bridge, thinking about a twangbanger or maybe something a touch hotter.

Suggestions?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Looking for a strat set . . .

I'd go with Antiquitys. Surfers for the neck and middle and Texas Hot CUSTOM for the bridge.

But if I remember right, there's a trick to using them together.

Put the Surfer middle pickup in the neck position and the Surfer neck pickup in the middle position.

Then, I think, reverse the leads for the Texas Hot in the bridge...I think! Not sure because it's been 15 years since I installed my set.

If I'm remembering right, then everything will be in phase and you'll have humcancelling in the #2 and #4 positions of a 5 way switch.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-27-2020, 06:34 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I'd be curious about the Psychedelic set, too, as I've only tried them briefly, but they were excellent, especially if you use a late 60s signal chain...Plexi-type amp, and fuzz. Great pickups.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        I'd go with Antiquitys. Surfers for the neck and middle and Texas Hot for the bridge.

Because the Texas Hot is reverse wound/reverse polarity compared to the Surfers there's a trick to using them together.

Put the middle pickup in the neck and neck pickup in the middle.

Reverse the leads for the Texas Hot in the bridge...I think! Not sure because it's been 15 years since I used that set.

If I'm remembering right, then everything will be in phase and you'll have humcancelling in the #2 and #4 positions of a 5 way switch.

Are the surfers brighter than the SSL2s? I'm looking for something that's a touch less punchy in the mid-range and a bit brighter. The Texas Hot in the bridge is a good suggestion, I'll add that to the list . . .

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i dont find the surfers brighter than the ssl2, other way around but not by much. granted, its been years since ive heard them side by side. the cs 69 and psychedelic set are probably fairly similar since they are both going for that late 60s tone

Comment

Anyone tried Fralin Real '54s? Are they in the same vein as the psychadelic / CS69s?

Comment

I did try them way back when. Remember thinking of them sorta "steely" a bit sterile... I love a3's on tele bridges so I had high hopes. But was a disappointment for me.

Love Fralin's Vintage Hots tho... %5 underwound vintage hots are my fav. strat pickups.

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

CS69 is my choice too. Pair with a Texas Special in the Bridge.
                Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-26-2020, 05:41 PM.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

fralin makes great pups but i dont think he has a late 60's strat pup or grey bottom pup

Comment

Hmm . . . anyone tried a David Allen '69 VooDoo set? I like that he alters the vintage stagger of the polepieces without getting rid of it entirely and going flat.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Hmm . . . anyone tried a David Allen '69 VooDoo set? I like that he alters the vintage stagger of the polepieces without getting rid of it entirely and going flat.
                      I’ve never played David Allen pickups but the specs are correct.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

SSL-2 is brighter than the Surfers, but I love the Surfer's brand of bright more.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          SSL-2 is brighter than the Surfers, but I love the Surfer's brand of bright more.
                          Me too. Both are Alnico 5. So is the SSL-1. And so are the Fralin Vintage Hots. I like ALL of those.

But for the neck and middle I like the Antiquity Surfers better than anything I've owned.

For the bridge, especially if you want more mids, I'd go with the other Antiquity. The Texas Hot Custom Bridge model.

It's A2 and wound a little hotter than a stock vintage Strat pickup for a little more punch.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have the Psychedelic set and it is unreal. I will say, the bridge position might be my favorite, so my advice is forget about the mid-heavy bridge and just get the Psychedelic set or a set of 69s. That scooped, low wind bridge isn’t going to get Tele or LP tones. But it sounds exactly like a Strat bridge should.

Comment

Maybe send an email to Rose pickups? I custom ordered a set of Robusta/Robusta/Buff Beauty for $85, non-staggered 9.5" radius. They are a bit brighter and opened to STK-S4 I had in that guitar. The bridge is more meaty than a regular strat bridge pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X