No announcement yet.

Custom HSH Wiring 1 vol 1 tone & 1 On/Off Switch to Coil Tap Both Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom HSH Wiring 1 vol 1 tone & 1 On/Off Switch to Coil Tap Both Humbuckers

Can anyone help me with a diagram for this wiring? I don't know if it can be done easily with a standard 5 way switch or if I need to use the Super Switch. I'm ok at soldering but I need a diagram to help me wire them up

HSH with 4 Conductor Humbuckers

The layout of the controls will be Volume pot, On/Off Switch (To Coil Split Both Humbuckers) then the Tone Pot

The switching positions are slightly different:

1) Bridge (Humbucker)
    2) Bridge (Humbucker) & Middle
    3) Bridge & Neck (H & H)
    4) Neck (Humbucker) & Middle
    5) Neck (Humbucker)

Then I want to be able to flick the on/Off switch and coil Tap both Humbuckers at the same time so it now acts like SSS

Please help!! I'm stuck without a diagram
    Last edited by kenpo2001; 05-26-2020, 12:57 PM.

Re: Custom HSH Wiring 1 vol 1 tone & 1 On/Off Switch to Coil Tap Both Humbuckers

Welcome to the forum!

You can't do this with a regular switch, but you can with a Super Switch or MegaSwitch model E.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Custom HSH Wiring 1 vol 1 tone & 1 On/Off Switch to Coil Tap Both Humbuckers

This one will almost do what you want.

HSH switching (neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge) or SSS switching (neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge) depending on the position of the dpdt switch. The only thing that you wouldn't get is the middle of the 5 way switch would be single coil, rather than bridge+neck.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanks very much, if it had the on/off switch (for coil splitting both Humbuckers) instead of the 2nd Tone pot it would be perfect. I'll see if I can figure it out somehow. Great for my drawings collection.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

HSH switching (neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge) or SSS switching (neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge) depending on the position of the dpdt switch. The only thing that you wouldn't get is the middle of the 5 way switch would be single coil, rather than bridge+neck.
          That's great thank you, I wonder if there's a way to get the Bridge & Neck option with this 5 way switch or if I need the Super Switch. Thanks very much for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

This is probably a stupid question but can you have an option of Bridge Humbucker with Middle singlecoil or Neck Humbucker with Middle Singlecoil?

Thanks - sorry I know just enough to be dangerous!

Comment

QUOTE=GuitarStv;4422588][/QUOTE]

Why are you using this wire color code? Why not the Duncan wiring color code?
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

QUOTE=kenpo2001;4422564]Can anyone help me with a diagram for this wiring? I don't know if it can be done easily with a standard 5 way switch or if I need to use the Super Switch. I'm ok at soldering but I need a diagram to help me wire them up

HSH with 4 Conductor Humbuckers

The layout of the controls will be Volume pot, On/Off Switch (To Coil Split Both Humbuckers) then the Tone Pot

The switching positions are slightly different:

1) Bridge (Humbucker)
                2) Bridge (Humbucker) & Middle
                3) Bridge & Neck (H & H)
                4) Neck (Humbucker) & Middle
                5) Neck (Humbucker)

Then I want to be able to flick the on/Off switch and coil Tap both Humbuckers at the same time so it now acts like SSS

Please help!! I'm stuck without a diagram[/QUOTE]

Not only would you need a super switch to do what you want, but you would also need custom pickups specifically wound and wired to do a coil "tap". However, it would be no problem at all to do coil "splits" with any standard pickup.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X