Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMazio DP404

Hiya,

So there is this little sweet axe, an early '90s Chery strat made in Korea which positively puts any MIM strat (and anything else in that region) to shame every time we bump into other guitars in a jam session kinda scenario. It looks pretty and has an amazing playability as confirmed by owners of Godins, G&Ls, MIM and MIA strats. The only thing letting it down whenever there is a direct contest with an MIA strat is, as you might proly guessed already, the stock pups. While they are not bad by any means, I feel the guitar deserves much better. The pups are fully covered ones, rather low output, tonally on the vintage side of the spectrum.

1. Bridge: C-. The weakest link in the standard SSS configuration is the bridge pickup. Doesn't take dirt too well, rather harsh.
    2. Middle: B-/C. I rarely use it, so a little indifferent to that one. Sounds okeyish, but kinda unassuming.
    3. Neck: B+. The best one of the three and the only one that holds its own with MIMs.

I don't wanna break a bank amidst the pandemic So been weighing my options rather carefully and decided to squeeze this project under $120.
    For the allocated funds, the Fender Yosemite sound samples I found on YT had me particularly convinced. They seem to fit my style well, even a wee bit better than the Tex Mex set I have in another guitar. However I just missed a deal on them ($95) and immediately lost any interest in shelling $120, now that I know that they can be had for 25% less

There is also a DiMarzio DP404 (new old stock, only one piece) available for $40.
    Since it's the bridge pup I'm unhappiest with and DP404 works well in that position, I figured I could start upgrading it first and see what opportunity presents itself next.
    There is not much info on DP404 though - basically nothing on YT and only a post or two on other forums (very positive references though).
    It seems this model has been out of production for a decade now (kinda getting a red alert here), substituted by DP414 and later by DP420.
    I wonder if there is anyone here who can shed more light on DP404 specifically.
    - How does it sound in bridge position?
    - Which neck/middle pups gel well with it?
    - What styles (both musical and playing approach wise) does it handle well?
    - What are its shortcomings?
    - What pots (250/500) do you recommend?
    - Anything else

Appreciate your time and assistance

Re: DiMazio DP404

I installed some of those in a customer’s guitar. They sound a lot like a P-90. I thought it was a nice pickup. It sounds like a single coil but it’s not thin sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      I installed some of those in a customer’s guitar. They sound a lot like a P-90. I thought it was a nice pickup. It sounds like a single coil but it’s not thin sounding.
      P90s are my favorites by mile. I often think it has something to do with a higher frequency hearing loss associated with ageing. When I was younger I hated singles, now I can't live without them. P90s take the sweet spot though. So a plus point for DP404

Comment

I just realized it is actually a humbucker sized single and DiMarzio recommends a 500K volume control to get maximum performance from it.
        Would this diagram work?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	HSS_01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5820693

Comment

the vv solo is a stacked humbucker. dimarzio and duncan pups have different color codes so you cant use that diagram directly

black duncan = red dimarzio
          white duncan = black dimarzio
          red duncan = white dimarzio
          green duncan = green dimarzio

Comment

Isn't life ironic... Ordered that DP404. Sitting there, smirk on my face, thinking of the all the wiring options (megaswitches, push/pull pots, etc.). A few hours pass and a message pops up from the retailer I missed out on the Yosemite deal with - the stock got replenished, the sale is still on, are you interested?

Comment

Originally posted by Timberwolf View Post
              I just realized it is actually a humbucker sized single and DiMarzio recommends a 500K volume control to get maximum performance from it.
              Would this diagram work?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]105098[/ATTACH]
              It’s a stacked humbucker. You can switch off the bottom coil but it won’t sound all that different. It’s not like a humbucker to a single coil.

The bottom coil on these is lower resistance and just for hum cancelation.

This is DiMarzio’s version of a Kinman pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just read that you ordered the Dimarzio DP404. If you don't like it, I ordered a set of Rose Robusta/Robusta/Buff Beauty for $85 and it's blowing away a set of MIA Fender Standard pickups.

Comment

Working...
                X