Thread: The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Default The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Hello everybody! Here's something that you may or may have heard of before: The Gibson 492R! Not sure if this is one of those typos like '489T' or '469R'. So, I've been digging and using some local stories and here's what I have to offer.

So last year I was at a relatively close guitar shop with my eye on a Gibson SG-3. I asked what were the specs, to which Greg (the guy who runs it) said a 490t, 492r, and 490r. Now personally I have NEVER heard of a 492r around that time. But 2 months later my friend claimed he bought a "Chet Atkins" Gibson Humbucker, which turned out to have 492R written on the back. Digging more into this theory I found a listing 2 years ago on reverb listed here: https://reverb.com/item/2605079-gibson-492r-humbucker-pickup-gold?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=2605079-gibson-492r-humbucker-pickup-gold
    Unless if I've been living under a rock, I don't recall hearing of these supposed "Chet Atkins" Humbucker, but I wouldn't think that's the case, because I try to keep up with Gibson's RT series (490R/T, 491T, 496R, etc). If I would guess the specs, I'm assuming it would have an A5 magnet rated at 8k. If anyone has any more info, please share!

Default Re: The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Interesting. Never heard of it myself.
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

Pretty sure it's just two higher than the 490R.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Either that or 4 lower than the 496R

I’ve heard of them before but don’t know the specs. I seem to remember seeing them in a couple “guitar of the week” guitars gibson put out a while back. I hadn’t heard of them as Chet Atkins pickups before, but if you can find detailed specs on the 1980’s-1990’s Gibson Country Gentleman, you might find the pickup specs. All I can find is that it had 490T and 492R, and a reverb listing said it was slightly underwound from a 490R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

I'm trying to see if my friend has his 492R to do an ohms reading, if I find anymore information about it I'll update the thread