The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Hello everybody! Here's something that you may or may have heard of before: The Gibson 492R! Not sure if this is one of those typos like '489T' or '469R'. So, I've been digging and using some local stories and here's what I have to offer.

So last year I was at a relatively close guitar shop with my eye on a Gibson SG-3. I asked what were the specs, to which Greg (the guy who runs it) said a 490t, 492r, and 490r. Now personally I have NEVER heard of a 492r around that time. But 2 months later my friend claimed he bought a "Chet Atkins" Gibson Humbucker, which turned out to have 492R written on the back. Digging more into this theory I found a listing 2 years ago on reverb listed here: https://reverb.com/item/2605079-gibson-492r-humbucker-pickup-gold?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=2605079-gibson-492r-humbucker-pickup-gold
    Unless if I've been living under a rock, I don't recall hearing of these supposed "Chet Atkins" Humbucker, but I wouldn't think that's the case, because I try to keep up with Gibson's RT series (490R/T, 491T, 496R, etc). If I would guess the specs, I'm assuming it would have an A5 magnet rated at 8k. If anyone has any more info, please share!

Re: The Mystery Gibson 492R Humbucker

Interesting. Never heard of it myself.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Pretty sure it's just two higher than the 490R.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Either that or 4 lower than the 496R

Comment

I’ve heard of them before but don’t know the specs. I seem to remember seeing them in a couple “guitar of the week” guitars gibson put out a while back. I hadn’t heard of them as Chet Atkins pickups before, but if you can find detailed specs on the 1980’s-1990’s Gibson Country Gentleman, you might find the pickup specs. All I can find is that it had 490T and 492R, and a reverb listing said it was slightly underwound from a 490R.

Comment

I'm trying to see if my friend has his 492R to do an ohms reading, if I find anymore information about it I'll update the thread

Comment

Working...
            X