SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

My new G400 has (had) a typical neck dive issue. A suede/leather strap helped a little but not enough and I prefer not to use such a heavy strap with such a light guitar.

The Grover tuning buttons weigh about 13g each; in the neighborhood of 3oz total. I bought a set of pearloid plastic tuner buttons for $10 on Reverb. All of them together weigh less than 1 of the Grover metal buttons.

Now, even with a nylon strap when I let go of the neck the headstock does not drop like a rock. It is more of a slow pivot to a little past a horizontal position. They are not the prettiest tuner knobs (you can see the mounting screws through them), but on a $300 guitar, this was about improving function so I am pleased with the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new tuner buttons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5854503
    Last edited by AniML; 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM.

Re: SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

Good tip! I've used a 1lb wrist weight around the body end of the strap, which also works very well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Some of us would be surprised how little the amount of weight it takes to balance things out. I've found aluminum Hipshot tuners save quite a bit of weight.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

My SG came stock with kluson style tuners, so swapping buttons wasn't an option. Luckily the Vibramate & Bigsby took care of the neck dive:

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

...not to mention that they look like proper SG tuner buttons now! A great improvement.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            ...not to mention that they look like proper SG tuner buttons now! A great improvement.
            Agreed!

Comment

I once made a control cavity plate out of 3/16" steel plate to fix sg neck dive..

Comment

Adding weight to the tail end of the guitar strap or to the control cover may help to cure neck dive, but if light weight is one of the reasons for purchasing and playing an SG, then you have defeated that purpose. Light weight tuners and/or tuner knobs is a much better solution even if it doesn't cure the problem totally. Neck dive is inherent in the basic design of an SG (short, thin, light weight body; long neck, comparatively; and strap button location at back of neck.

The guitars I build have smaller, lighter weight bodies (total guitar weight is just about 6 pounds); long (25 1/2" scale) necks with clear access to the 22nd fret; heavy locking tuners; and yet they have NO neck dive! It's all about design.

While the SG is a very cool guitar in many ways, and really fun to play (at least it would be if there was no neck dive issue), it just isn't a perfect players' design that forces you to accept an important compromise.

I'm not an SG hater, I actually own 4 SGs (one with a 24 fret neck) and several SG-type guitars and I love them. I just accept the design flaw and deal with it. But that "flaw" is certainly one of the main reasons for me initially coming up with my own guitar designs.
                Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-29-2020, 07:49 AM.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Adding weight to the tail end of the guitar strap or to the control cover may help to cure neck dive, but if light weight is one of the reasons for purchasing and playing an SG, then you have defeated that purpose. Light weight tuners and/or tuner knobs is a much better solution even if it doesn't cure the problem totally. Neck dive is inherent in the basic design of an SG (short, thin, light weight body; long neck, comparatively; and strap button location at back of neck.

The guitars I build have smaller, lighter weight bodies (total guitar weight is just about 6 pounds); long (25 1/2" scale) necks with clear access to the 22nd fret; heavy locking tuners; and yet they have NO neck dive! It's all about design.

While the SG is a very cool guitar in many ways, and really fun to play (at least it would be if there was no neck dive issue), it just isn't a perfect players' design that forces you to accept an important compromise.

I'm not an SG hater, I actually own 4 SGs (one with a 24 fret neck) and several SG-type guitars and I love them. I just accept the design flaw and deal with it. But that "flaw" is certainly one of the main reasons for me initially coming up with my own guitar designs.
                  I haven't seen pics of your guitars, but I love the idea of something balanced and light weight, though.

Comment

One reason I don’t use Grover tuners is they are bulky and heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Good tip! I've used a 1lb wrist weight around the body end of the strap, which also works very well.
                      I tried that with an Esquire build. While it helped a little, all it really did was add more weight on my shoulder and made it less comfortable to play. That's why it's gone and I put together a Strat in its place, and it's much lighter.

Comment

Dave,
                        Here's a couple. I'm in the process of moving and all the others are packed away.
                        Bodies are fully chambered with large belly cut in the back so they fit comfortably and tightly against the body (I guess that's because I have a large belly). Woods are: Canary Wood, Padauk, Purple Heart, Wenge, and Maple. Necks are Maple with Purple Heart and Canary Wood fretboard. One of the necks is bound with b/w/b. Dual action truss rods. My own design bone compensated nut. Perfect intonation on each string anywhere on the neck. Fender locking tuners. Each weighs just about 6 pounds.

The one with buckers has GFS Dream 180s (really great clean vintage tone) and your "do it all" wiring. Tone bypass mini toggle.

The one with P-90s has ceramic magnets. Yes, I said ceramic. I usually don't have much good to say about ceramic magnets, but in these P-90s they are perfect. Bright, crisp, and edgy attack with warm mids and a solid bass. THIS is what P-90s are supposed to sound like.

(Well, it seems there is a problem...I can't get my images to upload. I don't know what's going on, I've never had a problem with this in the past. I guess you'll have to wait til I get this figured out).
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-31-2020, 09:17 AM.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Dave,
                          Here's a couple. I'm in the process of moving and all the others are packed away.
                          Bodies are fully chambered with large belly cut in the back so they fit comfortably and tightly against the body (I guess that's because I have a large belly). Woods are: Canary Wood, Padauk, Purple Heart, Wenge, and Maple. Necks are Maple with Purple Heart and Canary Wood fretboard. One of the necks is bound with b/w/b. Dual action truss rods. My own design bone compensated nut. Perfect intonation on each string anywhere on the neck. Fender locking tuners. Each weighs just about 6 pounds.

The one with buckers has GFS Dream 180s (really great clean vintage tone) and your "do it all" wiring. Tone bypass mini toggle.

The one with P-90s has ceramic magnets. Yes, I said ceramic. I usually don't have much good to say about ceramic magnets, but in these P-90s they are perfect. Bright, crisp, and edgy attack with warm mids and a solid bass. THIS is what P-90s are supposed to sound like.

(Well, it seems there is a problem...I can't get my images to upload. I don't know what's going on, I've never had a problem with this in the past. I guess you'll have to wait til I get this figured out).
                          Well, the descriptions sound great, anyway!

Comment

I thought the neck dive issues on an SG could be easily solved by moving the strap pin to the upper horn, like on a strat. That's what I've heard anyway.
                            --------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                              I thought the neck dive issues on an SG could be easily solved by moving the strap pin to the upper horn, like on a strat. That's what I've heard anyway.
                              I think Tony Iommi solved neck dive that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X