Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

Default SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

My new G400 has (had) a typical neck dive issue. A suede/leather strap helped a little but not enough and I prefer not to use such a heavy strap with such a light guitar.

The Grover tuning buttons weigh about 13g each; in the neighborhood of 3oz total. I bought a set of pearloid plastic tuner buttons for $10 on Reverb. All of them together weigh less than 1 of the Grover metal buttons.

Now, even with a nylon strap when I let go of the neck the headstock does not drop like a rock. It is more of a slow pivot to a little past a horizontal position. They are not the prettiest tuner knobs (you can see the mounting screws through them), but on a $300 guitar, this was about improving function so I am pleased with the results.

Name:  new tuner buttons.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  33.2 KB
    Last edited by AniML; 05-26-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Default Re: SG Neck Dive Fix: $10 and 5 minutes

Good tip! I've used a 1lb wrist weight around the body end of the strap, which also works very well.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Some of us would be surprised how little the amount of weight it takes to balance things out. I've found aluminum Hipshot tuners save quite a bit of weight.

My SG came stock with kluson style tuners, so swapping buttons wasn't an option. Luckily the Vibramate & Bigsby took care of the neck dive:

Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

...not to mention that they look like proper SG tuner buttons now! A great improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    ...not to mention that they look like proper SG tuner buttons now! A great improvement.
    Agreed!

I once made a control cavity plate out of 3/16" steel plate to fix sg neck dive..

Adding weight to the tail end of the guitar strap or to the control cover may help to cure neck dive, but if light weight is one of the reasons for purchasing and playing an SG, then you have defeated that purpose. Light weight tuners and/or tuner knobs is a much better solution even if it doesn't cure the problem totally. Neck dive is inherent in the basic design of an SG (short, thin, light weight body; long neck, comparatively; and strap button location at back of neck.

The guitars I build have smaller, lighter weight bodies (total guitar weight is just about 6 pounds); long (25 1/2" scale) necks with clear access to the 22nd fret; heavy locking tuners; and yet they have NO neck dive! It's all about design.

While the SG is a very cool guitar in many ways, and really fun to play (at least it would be if there was no neck dive issue), it just isn't a perfect players' design that forces you to accept an important compromise.

I'm not an SG hater, I actually own 4 SGs (one with a 24 fret neck) and several SG-type guitars and I love them. I just accept the design flaw and deal with it. But that "flaw" is certainly one of the main reasons for me initially coming up with my own guitar designs.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-29-2020 at 06:49 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Adding weight to the tail end of the guitar strap or to the control cover may help to cure neck dive, but if light weight is one of the reasons for purchasing and playing an SG, then you have defeated that purpose. Light weight tuners and/or tuner knobs is a much better solution even if it doesn't cure the problem totally. Neck dive is inherent in the basic design of an SG (short, thin, light weight body; long neck, comparatively; and strap button location at back of neck.

The guitars I build have smaller, lighter weight bodies (total guitar weight is just about 6 pounds); long (25 1/2" scale) necks with clear access to the 22nd fret; heavy locking tuners; and yet they have NO neck dive! It's all about design.

While the SG is a very cool guitar in many ways, and really fun to play (at least it would be if there was no neck dive issue), it just isn't a perfect players' design that forces you to accept an important compromise.

I'm not an SG hater, I actually own 4 SGs (one with a 24 fret neck) and several SG-type guitars and I love them. I just accept the design flaw and deal with it. But that "flaw" is certainly one of the main reasons for me initially coming up with my own guitar designs.
    I haven't seen pics of your guitars, but I love the idea of something balanced and light weight, though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

One reason I donít use Grover tuners is they are bulky and heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Good tip! I've used a 1lb wrist weight around the body end of the strap, which also works very well.
    I tried that with an Esquire build. While it helped a little, all it really did was add more weight on my shoulder and made it less comfortable to play. That's why it's gone and I put together a Strat in its place, and it's much lighter.

Dave,
    Here's a couple. I'm in the process of moving and all the others are packed away.
    Bodies are fully chambered with large belly cut in the back so they fit comfortably and tightly against the body (I guess that's because I have a large belly). Woods are: Canary Wood, Padauk, Purple Heart, Wenge, and Maple. Necks are Maple with Purple Heart and Canary Wood fretboard. One of the necks is bound with b/w/b. Dual action truss rods. My own design bone compensated nut. Perfect intonation on each string anywhere on the neck. Fender locking tuners. Each weighs just about 6 pounds.

The one with buckers has GFS Dream 180s (really great clean vintage tone) and your "do it all" wiring. Tone bypass mini toggle.

The one with P-90s has ceramic magnets. Yes, I said ceramic. I usually don't have much good to say about ceramic magnets, but in these P-90s they are perfect. Bright, crisp, and edgy attack with warm mids and a solid bass. THIS is what P-90s are supposed to sound like.

(Well, it seems there is a problem...I can't get my images to upload. I don't know what's going on, I've never had a problem with this in the past. I guess you'll have to wait til I get this figured out).
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-31-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Dave,
    Here's a couple. I'm in the process of moving and all the others are packed away.
    Bodies are fully chambered with large belly cut in the back so they fit comfortably and tightly against the body (I guess that's because I have a large belly). Woods are: Canary Wood, Padauk, Purple Heart, Wenge, and Maple. Necks are Maple with Purple Heart and Canary Wood fretboard. One of the necks is bound with b/w/b. Dual action truss rods. My own design bone compensated nut. Perfect intonation on each string anywhere on the neck. Fender locking tuners. Each weighs just about 6 pounds.

The one with buckers has GFS Dream 180s (really great clean vintage tone) and your "do it all" wiring. Tone bypass mini toggle.

The one with P-90s has ceramic magnets. Yes, I said ceramic. I usually don't have much good to say about ceramic magnets, but in these P-90s they are perfect. Bright, crisp, and edgy attack with warm mids and a solid bass. THIS is what P-90s are supposed to sound like.

(Well, it seems there is a problem...I can't get my images to upload. I don't know what's going on, I've never had a problem with this in the past. I guess you'll have to wait til I get this figured out).
    Well, the descriptions sound great, anyway!

I thought the neck dive issues on an SG could be easily solved by moving the strap pin to the upper horn, like on a strat. That's what I've heard anyway.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    I thought the neck dive issues on an SG could be easily solved by moving the strap pin to the upper horn, like on a strat. That's what I've heard anyway.
    I think Tony Iommi solved neck dive that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I think Tony Iommi solved neck dive that way.
    Yeah, that's how I first came across it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

I would just use a strap with some grip, like leather or cotton instead of nylon. Replacing the tuner buttons is a cool idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    I'm not sure how much that actually helps, if at all. Moving it up (towards the bass side) would make it worse, but moving it left (towards the headstock) would help. So the two combined would cancel out somewhat. The horn is pretty short.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigcupholder; 06-03-2020 at 08:46 AM.

I have an SG that I mounted the strap button to the upper horn hoping to cure the neck dive. It only slightly helped...not much at all. But I like the better stability it offered even though only very slightly helping the dive issue.

The strap button on the back of the body is definitely clunky. My ‘62 LP/SG is pretty light, but no neck dive. It does have the original Kluson tuners, which I’m sure helps. Also has the ebony block and Vibrola tailpiece, which are obviously heavier than an aluminum stop bar.
    "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And itís the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

I don't like the strap button on the back. It is on the back of my Eastman, which is like a 335. It makes the guitar want to spin away from me. I think it is just a bad design.