Vari-tone/vari-volume mofos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vari-tone/vari-volume mofos

The 4 way switch has caps on 1 side and resistors on the other. The caps go to the tone and the resistors go to the volume. So position 1 is no resistor with the 228k volume pot and a 6.8nf cap, position 2 is a 680k resistor and 15nf cap, position 3 is a 300k resistor and an 18nf cap, and position 4 is a 100k resistor and a 22nf cap.

Kind of cool and novel. It does get different sounds. Some of them are kind of redundant tho. I prefer my other jazz pickguard for sure. I'm not really feelin the middle pickup for jazz. Just wanted to try it. The benedetto in the neck just sounds like a jazz. Not that stoked on it either. My 59 with A2 spacers is my favorite so far. It's just fat and syrupy. The pickup selector is in the tone 2 spot.

In other news, I got shocked by the socket. That was fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_200234.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5854504

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jazz strat.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	5854505
    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-26-2020, 08:18 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Vari-tone/vari-volume mofos

The Benedetto has a stiffness to the top end which sounds dialed for jazz I think. I might have to stick with this for a little bit, it's tripping me out. The simple 59 pickguard is for sure a winner but this new delux jazz pickguard is interesting.
    I bought them for you

Comment

I got the Phat Cat's height adjusted to where it sounds more like a neck pup and less chirpy.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Gonna have to make some tweaks. Gonna mag swap the Phat Cat from A2/A6 to A2/A3. Get the 59 with A2 spacers in the neck. And up the volume pot from 228k to 272k. It has potential!
        I bought them for you

Comment

Lotta coffee this morning? You seem kinda caffeinated.
          Simple seems better, but a little experimentation does the soul some good.

Comment

What?! No!

Yeah no I knew the delux one would kind of be wack compared to the epic dialed simple 59 one. Just felt like trying a couple new things like the vari and a middle pup for jazz. I can always put the other one back.

I bought them for you

Comment

You ought to try the G&L PTB system in a single neck pickup guitar. Gives you a passive bass rolloff knob in addition to the typical volume and treble rolloff. A Strat definitely has the room for it, and it can't do anything but give you more tweakability, while taking nothing away if you choose not to use it.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I got the (A5) 59n with A2 spacers and brass baseplate in there and it's sounding epic! I have lush humbucker in the neck, and bitey charlie christian p90 in the middle. Then with the controls I can make it bassy or glassy or anything in between!

Ya I've tried a bass cut before and thought it could be pretty useful. This is my jazz guitar tho so I wouldn't have a use for a bass cut on this particular guitar.
                I bought them for you

Comment

It's outa sight son!

Here are the volume resistance values for the switch positions.

250k pot in parallel with resistors:

4 100k = 69.5k
                  3 300k = 129.5k
                  2 680k = 170k
                  1 228k volume pot
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Neck/middle position is the secret weapon because it's the darkest!
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-27-2020, 01:57 AM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                    X