Using Four Switches to Match Triple Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using Four Switches to Match Triple Shots

Really wishing I could easily find 1M linear push-push pots.......
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      Really wishing I could easily find 1M linear push-push pots.......
      Yeah, that is tough one. I just searched onlinejust now for 1meg Fender S1 as an alternative, but not seeing anything.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I've read references to both push/pulls and toggles. Electrically, both are on/on DT switches and accomplish the same thing. I respect that it's your guitar and you're free to do what you want, but wiring in 4 mini-toggles into a semi-hollow isn't something I would wish on anyone! If you're still open to considering push/pulls then the Duncan diagram that Jeremy posted is what you want, you simply need to split the poles and spread them across 4 push/pulls. If you're looking for 1M push/pulls, they exist:
        Buy Bourns 1 Meg push/pull pots and other guitar pots and other electronics parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Bourns 1 Meg Ohm audio taper control pot w/ double pole/double throw (DPDT) push pull switch. Use for coils splitting, reverse phase switching and other functions. Ohms: 1 Meg Ohms | Taper: Audio Tolerance: +/-20%  Pot Diameter: 17mm (.669")Threaded Shaft Length: 3/8" (.375") | Threaded Shaf...

Best thing to remember when working with P-Rails is that the sets are already RWRP, and the P90 coils are always black and white leads. Approaching it that way makes diagramming a lot easier.

I know you said you wanted individual controls, but when I was wiring up my Soltero with P-Rails I played around with converting from VTVT to VVT with a 5T4P rotary (series, parallel, P90, Rail, and coil swap). Unfortunately the rotary wasn't going to fit in the control cavity. While this doesn't serve your needs, I always felt like using multiple push/pulls to get all 4 sounds was cumbersome and that a rotary would have made a great solution.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
          I've read references to both push/pulls and toggles. Electrically, both are on/on DT switches and accomplish the same thing. I respect that it's your guitar and you're free to do what you want, but wiring in 4 mini-toggles into a semi-hollow isn't something I would wish on anyone! If you're still open to considering push/pulls then the Duncan diagram that Jeremy posted is what you want, you simply need to split the poles and spread them across 4 push/pulls. If you're looking for 1M push/pulls, they exist:
          Buy Bourns 1 Meg push/pull pots and other guitar pots and other electronics parts at GuitarElectronics.com. Huge selection, low prices and quantity discounts.

Bourns 1 Meg Ohm audio taper control pot w/ double pole/double throw (DPDT) push pull switch. Use for coils splitting, reverse phase switching and other functions. Ohms: 1 Meg Ohms | Taper: Audio Tolerance: +/-20%  Pot Diameter: 17mm (.669")Threaded Shaft Length: 3/8" (.375") | Threaded Shaf...

Best thing to remember when working with P-Rails is that the sets are already RWRP, and the P90 coils are always black and white leads. Approaching it that way makes diagramming a lot easier.

I know you said you wanted individual controls, but when I was wiring up my Soltero with P-Rails I played around with converting from VTVT to VVT with a 5T4P rotary (series, parallel, P90, Rail, and coil swap). Unfortunately the rotary wasn't going to fit in the control cavity. While this doesn't serve your needs, I always felt like using multiple push/pulls to get all 4 sounds was cumbersome and that a rotary would have made a great solution.
          He probably wouldn't be using all 4 switches at once, though. Since he said he wanted switching control over each individual pickup, that denotes the likelihood that in most cases for him, he only wanted to change the settings on one pickup at a time. And also the likelihoof that he may have wanted to combine the two pickups in Position 2 with each pickup set differently. In that case, the diagram I posted earlier that features two 2DPTs per humbucker is more aligned to what he described.

But agreed, if the guitar is a semi-hollow type, drilling in new holes for mini-switches isn't generally advisable if enough pots are already there to convert to push-pull or push-push.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Improved P-Rail Switching 2.png
Views:	4
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5820701
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            Yeah, that is tough one. I just searched onlinejust now for 1meg Fender S1 as an alternative, but not seeing anything.
            Audio taper is no problem to find. Linear is the hard part. Add that I want push/push, and it’s just not gonna happen. I can get it, but only in a custom order with a 1,000 piece minimum.

Swapping in the 1M linear guts from a regular pot is going to be the only affordable way to get it.

So I think it’s gonna be toggles.

I definitely want the four switch controls, like the Triple Shots have. The visual nature of the switch positions just make a lot of sense to me, in terms of interface.

This guitar has a back door for electronics access.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

P.S. Yes, the ability to use all four switches at once is important to me. I generally operate on pre-sets, which I switch between by using the main pickup switch while playing. I don't generally mess with tone knobs and extra features in the middle of playing a piece. I usually would operate one pickup with a different orientation than the other. E.g. Neck pickup split, and bridge pickup as a full humbucker. Or bridge pickup split to the slug coil, and neck pickup to the screw coil, using a hybrid pickup with a large coil imbalance. I want to be able to quickly set up my two pickup tones between songs (but not necessarily during songs). Still, though the Triple Shots are too cumbersome for me, even for this (plus I think they are unattractive, expensive, and difficult to solder).

I'm going to try the TPDRI digram first. If it has issues, I will monkey with adapting the SD diagram. I haven't taken the time to really dig into both diagrams, but something tells me that once I spit the Duncan one into four switches, it'll be the same as the other one.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
              X