Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Four Switches to Match Triple Shots

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before, but it has been a while, and I have forgot the info.

I like the sonic features of Triple Shots. I do not like operating the little switches on them, and I do not like the way they look. I also don't like soldering the pickup leads to them.

I want to wire up my newish D'Angelico DC with these switching options (series, parallel, or either coil alone), but I do not want to use Triple Shots to get them.

Do any of you know how to do this?

For instance, with four push-push pots and a classic Gibson V/T/V/T setup: V/T both down for series. V/T both up for parallel. Tone up, volume down on neck pickup gives you slug coil. Tone up, volume down on bridge pickup gives you screw coil. Volume up, tone down on neck pickup gives you screw coil. Volume up, tone down on bridge pickup gives you slug coil.

I can probably figure this out with some time, but I was wondering if any of you have a readily available diagram and/or hints.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Using Four Switches to Match Triple Shots

P.S. This is the best I can dig up at the moment, from member Phostenix on TDPRI, via a Google search. Before I invest the time and money, does it seem correct?

The sketch uses the Duncan color codes, and I can probably figure out how to translate it to push-push pots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TS Toggle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5820683
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

If I search for “Duncan push pulls with prails” and switch to the ‘images’ tab, I can see a preview of two diagrams that do it, but the Duncan site is broken if you click through. Maybe you can get enough information from the preview image.

Comment

I don't see why that diagram wouldn't be legit. Those are on/on switches eh?
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

A forum member posted this about a year or two ago, and once I analyzed it and confirmed it works as advertised, i saved this copy of it. A little later I will search through my subsribed threads and try to find the link for that thread, and add it in a reply.

Name:	Improved P-Rail Switching 2.png
Views:	4
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5820685

Edit: translating this from Bridge P-Rail to standard SD humbucker.

Rail coil -> North coil/ Slug coil
          P-90 coil -> South coil/ Screw coil

The Bridge P-Rail pickup is an odd-ball with regards to wiring color code because it uses Red and Green wires for the coil that has North magnetic polarity and that coil is situated as an Inside coil. Standard SD humbuckers are the opposite in all those regards i.e. Red & Green wires are used on the coil that has South magnetic polarity and it is situated as the Outside coil.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-27-2020, 05:26 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

is that what you want?

Name:	2PRail_3G_2V_2TppSPL.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5820686

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...2V_2TppSPL.jpg

is that what you want?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105089[/ATTACH]
              No, he said he wants control over each pickup individually. That scheme changes both pickups at the same time.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-27-2020, 02:31 PM. Reason: Typos
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...2V_2TppSPL.jpg

is that what you want?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105089[/ATTACH]
                It's in the neighborhood. It does roughly what I want, but ties the two pickups together to do it. Those two DPDTs could be split into four switches instead, without doing too much cipherin' to the diagram.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  P.S. This is the best I can dig up at the moment, from member Phostenix on TDPRI, via a Google search. Before I invest the time and money, does it seem correct?

The sketch uses the Duncan color codes, and I can probably figure out how to translate it to push-push pots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105081[/ATTACH]
                  BTW, I will analyze this a later today and let you know if it works as advertised or not.

I like the design intent to have the position combinations match the Triple Shots exactly.

Comment

I can see this being helpful for anyone who doesn't like the idea of the Triple Shots. While I do like them, they don't work as well with pickguards, and they aren't ergonomically great to switch sounds quickly.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                      BTW, I will analyze this a later today and let you know if it works as advertised or not.

I like the design intent to have the position combinations match the Triple Shots exactly.
                      Thank you.

If it works, then to get what I want, the top version applies to the neck pickup, and the bottom version to the bridge pickup. When running a pickup split, I want the "lean" of the switches to correlate to the position of the active coil. I.e. I want to think of it in my head as splitting to the neck-most coil or the bridge-most coil – not "inner" or "outer" coils.

I actually wouldn't mind drilling this guitar for toggle switches. I just don't know where they would go that would be ergonomic and decent looking.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thank you.

If it works, then to get what I want, the top version applies to the neck pickup, and the bottom version to the bridge pickup. When running a pickup split, I want the "lean" of the switches to correlate to the position of the active coil. I.e. I want to think of it in my head as splitting to the neck-most coil or the bridge-most coil – not "inner" or "outer" coils.

I actually wouldn't mind drilling this guitar for toggle switches. I just don't know where they would go that would be ergonomic and decent looking.
                        I ended up doing this sooner than later.

The good news is that the switches work, BUT the lean of each switch in the splitcoil modes, is *opposite* of the actual coil location. BTW, the top 4 positions in the original sketch you posted is for the Bridge pickup, and the bottom 4 for the Neck pickup.

I know that this "opposite lean direction" was also existant on the Triple Shots themselves, and the back of the packaging actually said how to swap certain wires to correct for that. I have a pic of that packaging and will review it to see how to apply that mod to this switch scheme and will get back to you a little later.

Edit: yes, you can correct for it by applying the first 4 of the original scheme sketch to the Neck pickup instead of the Bridge, ans vice versa. Good spot on that.

Name:	20200527_172826.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5820687
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 05-27-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                          I ended up doing this sooner than later.

The good news is that the switches work, BUT the lean of each switch in the splitcoil modes, is *opposite* of the actual coil location. BTW, the top 4 positions in the original sketch you posted is for the Bridge pickup, and the bottom 4 for the Neck pickup.

I know that this "opposite lean direction" was also existant on the Triple Shots themselves, and the back of the packaging actually said how to swap certain wires to correct for that. I have a pic of that packaging and will review it to see how to apply that mod to this switch scheme and will get back to you a little later.

Edit: yes, you can correct for it by applying the first 4 of the original scheme sketch to the Neck pickup instead of the Bridge, ans vice versa. Good spot on that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105090[/ATTACH]
                          Thank you.

In the hand drawn diagram I posted, each of the two approaches is not meant for any one pickup position in particular. Either one is meant for either pickup position. They are two variations, each of which provides a different orientation of the toggles (the "lean" we were talking about) when the pickups are split.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thank you.

In the hand drawn diagram I posted, each of the two approaches is not meant for any one pickup position in particular. Either one is meant for either pickup position. They are two variations, each of which provides a different orientation of the toggles (the "lean" we were talking about) when the pickups are split.
                            Yes, you can ignore my earlier statement about "1st set is for Bridge" etc. By the time of my "edit" comment I spotted that wasn't necessarily true but was squeezed for time in what I could cover in that "edit" comment. We are on the same page.

Comment

Thank you.

Did you see the alternative approach using 2 push pulls (or push-pushes) per pickup that I posted in Reply #5? In case that seems intuitive enough to usr and spare any new drill-holes in your guitar...

Comment

Working...
                              X