X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gibson pickups - you like them?

Originally posted by TMD
    What do you think of the 496T?
    Haven’t played it, nor do I remember ever hearing of it.

The 496R is more than hot enough to be a bridge pickup, to my taste.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I agree... It has a lot of output.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Isn’t it the same pickups? Like 490R/490T? (I wasn’t aware Gibson bothered to make an actual difference between R/T when the modem number is the same. What is the difference?)
        The 490 R and T are different pickups, beyond just the name. The T is overwound (but only enough to help balance output).

496R in the bridge position with a 490R in the neck position is a nice combo, when you want a bit more beef in the bridge over a 490/490 set – but not enough extra beef to go to the 498T or 500T. 496R is meant to be a neck pickup along with a firebreathing bridge pickup, but it's really just a slightly hot vintage wind with a ceramic magnet. It's thus very much like a classic early '70s hot rodded PAF pickup – like something that might have originally been a Gibson pickup, but sent in to be "Seymourized" for some more power.

I don't think I had heard of the 496T until this thread. I would imagine that it's perhaps in between a 496R and a 498T, or maybe just a ceramic powered version of a 498T.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-31-2020, 09:14 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          Some of the things on this list are nuts. A BB#1 being a 6.5K pickup is laughable. IME, they range from the high-mid 7Ks (e.g. 7.7K), to about 8K. I've never even seen a BB#1 measure as low as your DCR for a BB#2! BB#2s are at least 8.25K IME, and BB#3s are high 8Ks. Are you just making stuff up?
          The BB Pro set is a BB1 and BB2 with A5 magnets, the impedance of those pickups should match.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
            I've had 2 BB sets (BB#2 and BB#1 set) one from a 03 R8 and another 04 R7 and both were not potted. Mine were not squealing and those were good pickups.

B
            Of course non-wax potted pickups won't squeal through a 9V battery powered amp. Use real amps with serious decibels then report back on those pickups. Why do you think they started to wax pot pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              Of course non-wax potted pickups won't squeal through a 9V battery powered amp. Use real amps with serious decibels then report back on those pickups. Why do you think they started to wax pot pickups?
              WTF?

50W's... with 2 EL34's.

So that's a 9V battery powered amp right?

I was polite in my first post...

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              I got my info from the Gibson forum and the guy said Gibson confirmed it to be true.

One way to find out. Crank it with the strings muffled and stand 6 feet away from the amp. Any squeal can also be due to the cover being a bit loose.

You don't know ****! Go ask those in the Gibson forum to "the guy" and come back!

I've been using non-wax potted pickups for the last 20+ years. And that includes 70's deluxes. Sure some squeal, but that's not the rule. But you wouldn't know that without consulting to the guy on the Gibson forum...

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Never heard of or seen a 496t

500t is my favorite. Pop in an explorer and melt faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -=The Dali
                --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Working...
                X