gibson pickups - you like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gibson pickups - you like them?

The 500t is by far my favorite of their pups. I don't have much experience with any of their low output stuff
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
      The 500t is by far my favorite of their pups. I don't have much experience with any of their low output stuff
      I have been waiting for this.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I love Gibson pickups, but damn , are they pricey ! If they were the same price as Duncans, they would be a well-considered option in many of my guitars. I love the 500T, the 490-series, and the Burstbucker Pros, I also quite like the 57 Classics. They are exceptional quality pickups just too expensive to actually put in any of my guitars.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't tried many but I did try a 498T awhile back in my CU 24. I thought it sounded like a lower quality Duncan Custom and I quickly changed it out. Limited sample size I know, but that is my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
            That avatar is by far my favorite of your avatars. What is that about?!?!?!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Is that Jennifer Aniston from the good ol’ days?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Is that Jennifer Aniston from the good ol’ days?
                Sure is.

Comment

Do we need a reason to admire the beautiful JA?
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Burstbuckers are nice if you want some bright A2 HBS

The 490R 498T combo is for mostly wide range clean and metal tones, it's just personal preference. Honestly my favorite Gibson HBs are the original PAF from the 50s-60s or the T-Tops. I'm just more of a vintage tone guy

Comment

The only set I've ever used is the 57/57+.
                      I like the 57. I feel like 57+ could be better (like maybe a bit beefier), but it's good enough for now.

I don't have enough experience with PAFs to know if that's common to the bridge position or to these pickups. I was under the impression the extra-winds of the + are to compensate for its position, but it doesn't seem to help much. Then again, if the bridge were beefier, maybe it would sound too much like the neck, eliminating the purpose of having two pickups. Anyway I live on the neck pickup on that guitar.

Comment

Gibson pickups are very nice and high quality. German silver baseplates. Big fan of that.

Gibson and Fender invented the pickups but SD perfected them.

The only Gibson pickups I have are the BB1/BB2 in my beloved Les Paul. If the guitar wasn't so special (to keep 100% stock) it would have a SD pair.

Comment

57s sound pretty good in my friend's LP Classic, but they were garbage in my SG compared to any number of other pickups I tried in there. To be fair, the 57s were on the circuit board setup, and the others got a mojotone harness. The 57s might have been better on there, but I didn't want to clip the quick connect so I could return it to stock.

Burstbucker Pros were not good in my LP standard, though it's bright and hard to match pickups in.

These are the only Gibsons I've used, but I've found a number of SD pickups that worked better, and lowly Toneriders were superior as well.

Comment

That isn't his original avatar from when he joined the forum, at 3 years old?

Comment

Let me know if this is helpful or in need of any revision (even the subjective things)

490r: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                              490t: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                              496r: ceramic, 8.5k, hot, wax potted
                              498t: alnico V, 9k, overwound 490t, more upper mids than 57+, wax potted
                              500t: ceramic, 15k, hot, wax potted

61r: alnico V, 7.8k, like a more aggressive Bbucker 1, less mids than 490r, more mids than 57, wax potted
                              61t: alnico V, 7.9k, more aggressive Bbucker 2, less mids than 490t, more mids than 57, wax potted

57: alnico II, 7.5k, more balanced tone, wax potted
                              57+: alnico II, 8.3k, like an overwound 57, wax potted

Burstbucker 1: alnico II, 6.5k, underwound PAF best for neck, no wax potting
                              Burstbucker 2: alnico II, 7.4k, PAF for neck or bridge, no wax potting
                              Burstbucker 3: alnico II, 8.4k, overwound PAF best for bridge, no wax potting

Burstbucker Pro neck: alnico V, 7.4k, more bite than Bbucker 1 and wax potted
                              Burstbucker Pro bridge: alnico V, 8.3k, more bite than Bbucker 2 and wax potted

Comment

I’ve tried to like the Gibson pickups I’ve tried, but, they just wasn’t what I had in mind. I’ve owned three Les Pauls, and two ended up with SD’s, and the other has the D. Allen P-51 Mustang set, which is A4, and leans a bit towards the edgier end of what a PAF normally is, but they still cleans up nicely. Very versatile. One LP I put a PG set in, which were a huge upgrade over the Gibsons, and my Traditional has the custom shop Joe Bonamassa Skinnerburst set, which are impeccable. They weren’t cheap, but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X