Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gibson pickups - you like them?

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
    57s sound pretty good in my friend's LP Classic, but they were garbage in my SG compared to any number of other pickups I tried in there. To be fair, the 57s were on the circuit board setup, and the others got a mojotone harness. The 57s might have been better on there, but I didn't want to clip the quick connect so I could return it to stock.
    Mine were originally on a circuit board too, which I wouldn't have minded except that the pots were like 250K or 275K or something like that. I swapped the board out for CTS 500K pots, clipped the quick connect leads and soldered the pickups into the circuit. The guitar become much more lively once the traditional pot values were used.

Comment

I get along with the BB1&2 sets in my LP Historics. The BB2 can twang like a monster Tele pickup. Got '57 Classics in my 335s, and a LP Elegant, and no real complaints there. The BBs are brighter and clearer, and mine are factory wax potted. (Oops, just blew up that chart!)

The 496R/500T sets in my 1960 LP Classics were too hot for my Mesa amps, but I thought they sounded okay. I'm happier with Seths and Antiquitys I put in those two guitars.

I could see how some folks could like the 490R/498T, but they drive me crazy. Whenever I switch pickups I want to run back to the amp and adjust the tone. I had them in my two LP Supremes, but swapped one set out for Seths and those are better for me.

My two LP Classic Antiques have the uncovered '57/'57+ sets. They work pretty well. To me the bridge pickup sounds similar to the TB-4 I have in my ASAT Deluxe with 250K pots. It's a good solid rounded midrange rock solo tone.

A lot depends on the amp, the genre and the audience.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Regarding BB potting....the custom shop axes with BBs are wax potted and all other BBs are not.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          My favs from Gibson are the '57 Classics and their P90's. For me they work. I've used the '57 in Strat build and Les Pauls. The best sound from the neck I've gotten is without the tone control connected to the neck pickup. It opens it up just a little more.
          I agree. And any of the Burstbuckers are good pickups too.

Derek Trucks uses Gibson pickups and sounds mind-blowingly great. So good tone is there if you can really play.

For me though, I prefer the stock Duncan Antiquity and Seth Lover humbuckers, or the Antiquitys and 59's I have modified with RCA2 and RCA3 magnet swaps over any stock Gibson humbuckers I've owned in the last 40 years.

I also disconnect the tone control from the neck humbucker in some of my guitars. People who need more clarity for cleaner rhythm tones should try it. I guess a no-load tone would achieve the same thing, but if your guitar only has one tone control (like my PRS SE's) I can turn the tone control way down for violin tone from my bridge pickup and get cleaner rhythm tones from my neck pickup with the tone control disconnected from the neck pickup.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-30-2020, 09:33 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Forgot to mention Gibson P90s.

Best sounding pickups they make IMO. I have four of them across three guitars (not counting my vintage 1968 ones in my 330), and they are about the best pickups I've ever heard. Never heard an aftermarket take on them sound any better.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              Regarding BB potting....the custom shop axes with BBs are wax potted and all other BBs are not.
              This is not correct, looking at the whole picture over time.

The difference between potted and non-potted BBs (1, 2, and 3) is usually whether the pickups are OEM, or were bought as an accessory. Accessory copies (i.e. were originally sold separately) are not potted. OEM copies (i.e. originally came in a guitar) are not.

And all BBV/Pro are, aftermarket or OEM.

Historics have come both ways over the decades.

Originally, BBs were not potted. But people who bought expensive Historics complained about squeal, and then Gibson started potting them WHEN they came in a guitar from the factory. At various points and periods over the decades since, Historics may or may not have used potted versions.

And again, the V/Pro versions were always potted.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Great post rainsong! I'll add my 2 cents which may be more/less accurate and worth more/less than two cents

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
                490r: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted - An ok neck pickup, but not much more
                490t: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted - An even less ok bridge pickup
                496r: ceramic, 8.5k, hot, wax potted - Whatever
                498t: alnico V, 9k, overwound 490t, more upper mids than 57+, wax potted. - Like a really blah version of a Custom 5
                500t: ceramic, 15k, hot, wax potted - Like a really excellent, but slightly different Distortion!

61r: alnico V, 7.8k, like a more aggressive Bbucker 1, less mids than 490r, more mids than 57, wax potted - What?
                61t: alnico V, 7.9k, more aggressive Bbucker 2, less mids than 490t, more mids than 57, wax potted - Huh?

57: alnico II, 7.5k, more balanced tone, wax potted - Like an A2P but more classic PAF tone maybe?
                57+: alnico II, 8.3k, like an overwound 57, wax potted - Like an A2P but more classic PAF tone maybe?

Burstbucker 1: alnico II, 6.5k, underwound PAF best for neck, no wax potting - Gibson style Seth
                Burstbucker 2: alnico II, 7.4k, PAF for neck or bridge, no wax potting - Gibson attempt, and not a bad one, at a Pearly Gates
                Burstbucker 3: alnico II, 8.4k, overwound PAF best for bridge, no wax potting - I'm not sure, but I like it.

Burstbucker Pro neck: alnico V, 7.4k, more bite than Bbucker 1 and wax potted - Failed do-over in A5 of BB2
                Burstbucker Pro bridge: alnico V, 8.3k, more bite than Bbucker 2 and wax potted Failed do-over in A5 of BB3
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

496R is a great neck pickup. When I put a 500T/496R set in my LP Studio, I immediately realized why these were in the first version of the Jimmy Page LP. They can get ‘those tones’ but they’re a level hotter, so they work for more styles and work with more amps. Great clear tones, from clean to high gain.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    This is not correct, looking at the whole picture over time.

The difference between potted and non-potted BBs (1, 2, and 3) is usually whether the pickups are OEM, or were bought as an accessory. Accessory copies (i.e. were originally sold separately) are not potted. OEM copies (i.e. originally came in a guitar) are not.

And all BBV/Pro are, aftermarket or OEM.

Historics have come both ways over the decades.

Originally, BBs were not potted. But people who bought expensive Historics complained about squeal, and then Gibson started potting them WHEN they came in a guitar from the factory. At various points and periods over the decades since, Historics may or may not have used potted versions.

And again, the V/Pro versions were always potted.
                    I got my info from the Gibson forum and the guy said Gibson confirmed it to be true.

One way to find out. Crank it with the strings muffled and stand 6 feet away from the amp. Any squeal can also be due to the cover being a bit loose.

Comment

I've had 2 BB sets (BB#2 and BB#1 set) one from a 03 R8 and another 04 R7 and both were not potted. Mine were not squealing and those were good pickups.

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Let me know if this is helpful or in need of any revision (even the subjective things)

490r: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                        490t: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                        496r: ceramic, 8.5k, hot, wax potted
                        498t: alnico V, 9k, overwound 490t, more upper mids than 57+, wax potted
                        500t: ceramic, 15k, hot, wax potted

61r: alnico V, 7.8k, like a more aggressive Bbucker 1, less mids than 490r, more mids than 57, wax potted
                        61t: alnico V, 7.9k, more aggressive Bbucker 2, less mids than 490t, more mids than 57, wax potted

57: alnico II, 7.5k, more balanced tone, wax potted
                        57+: alnico II, 8.3k, like an overwound 57, wax potted

Burstbucker 1: alnico II, 6.5k, underwound PAF best for neck, no wax potting
                        Burstbucker 2: alnico II, 7.4k, PAF for neck or bridge, no wax potting
                        Burstbucker 3: alnico II, 8.4k, overwound PAF best for bridge, no wax potting

Burstbucker Pro neck: alnico V, 7.4k, more bite than Bbucker 1 and wax potted
                        Burstbucker Pro bridge: alnico V, 8.3k, more bite than Bbucker 2 and wax potted
                        I think that's not correct. 498T measured like 15K... 14.5K to be exact. And I suppose it is sorta c5 so wound with #43. And not 9K.

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

The 496R makes a great aggressive but bright bridge pickup. About 8.5 K, ceramic powered. Pretty nice for the "beefy but still somewhat vintage" sounding thing.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Let me know if this is helpful or in need of any revision (even the subjective things)

490r: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                            490t: alnico II, 8.1k, more upper mids than 57, wax potted
                            496r: ceramic, 8.5k, hot, wax potted
                            498t: alnico V, 9k, overwound 490t, more upper mids than 57+, wax potted
                            500t: ceramic, 15k, hot, wax potted

61r: alnico V, 7.8k, like a more aggressive Bbucker 1, less mids than 490r, more mids than 57, wax potted
                            61t: alnico V, 7.9k, more aggressive Bbucker 2, less mids than 490t, more mids than 57, wax potted

57: alnico II, 7.5k, more balanced tone, wax potted
                            57+: alnico II, 8.3k, like an overwound 57, wax potted

Burstbucker 1: alnico II, 6.5k, underwound PAF best for neck, no wax potting
                            Burstbucker 2: alnico II, 7.4k, PAF for neck or bridge, no wax potting
                            Burstbucker 3: alnico II, 8.4k, overwound PAF best for bridge, no wax potting

Burstbucker Pro neck: alnico V, 7.4k, more bite than Bbucker 1 and wax potted
                            Burstbucker Pro bridge: alnico V, 8.3k, more bite than Bbucker 2 and wax potted
                            Some of the things on this list are nuts. A BB#1 being a 6.5K pickup is laughable. IME, they range from the high-mid 7Ks (e.g. 7.7K), to about 8K. I've never even seen a BB#1 measure as low as your DCR for a BB#2! BB#2s are at least 8.25K IME, and BB#3s are high 8Ks. Are you just making stuff up?
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-30-2020, 05:51 PM.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

gibson pickups - you like them?

Originally posted by TMD
                              What do you think of the 496T?
                              Isn’t it the same pickups? Like 490R/490T? (I wasn’t aware Gibson bothered to make an actual difference between R/T when the modem number is the same. What is the difference?)
                              Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-30-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]105124[/ATTACH]
                                Something reads funny to me. The T has only 150 more winds on one coil (odd enough that it has odd wind counts), yet reads 12k vs 8k for the R?

Comment

Working...
                                X