Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exp pedal for Boss Ms-3

Hey everyone,

I want to add an expression pedal to my Boss Ms-3 based pedal board and I want to keep the functionality of a toe switch. I've grown quite fond of the set up in my Gt-100. It allows to program the toe switch for more parameters than just wah on and off.

Mission engineerings base model allows me to install a switch after purchase. The boss fv-30L is cheaper, though and has 2 exp outputs, so I could use it to control other units. I'm pretty sure there isn't room there for a toe switch, so I'd have to build a unit to sit above the pedal and try not to kick it while in use.

I'd like some opinions on these, or other options. I'm a little stuck on how to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Exp pedal for Boss Ms-3

The GT-100 and 1000 for that matter don't have toe switches, you calibrate them to switch when the travel hits a certain point in, which is usually just high enough that you have to compress the rubber pads at the end of the toe travel, so it "feels" like a switch. Not sure if you can implement that with the Boss expression pedal or not. I'm also not 100% sure the FV-30L will work, make sure you double check that, The EV-5 is their standard expression pedal.

The Mission pedals are nice though, and look like it is easy to add a switch.

Comment

Buy an empty Cry Baby shell from Small Bear and build your own.

Edit: I take that back. Turns out Small Bear doesn't sell expression pedal shells any more.

Revised suggestion: Buy a busted Cry Baby on eBay and build your own. Here's a link to the one I built for my EHC Grand Canyon. I don't have a toe switch installed, but the hole is there if I want to add one.
      Last edited by Rich_S; 05-27-2020, 09:16 AM.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        The GT-100 and 1000 for that matter don't have toe switches, you calibrate them to switch when the travel hits a certain point in, which is usually just high enough that you have to compress the rubber pads at the end of the toe travel, so it "feels" like a switch. Not sure if you can implement that with the Boss expression pedal or not. I'm also not 100% sure the FV-30L will work, make sure you double check that, The EV-5 is their standard expression pedal.

Thanks a heap for that.

I didn't know that's how the GT-100 worked as the highest parameters on the pedal are already calibrated and called "EXP SW" and you can assign that to anything. I found some threads that explain the task, but in essence, I stick a rubber pad under the treadle at the toe-end, and program the highest point (when pressing down) as a toggle for turning whatever I need, on and off.

If that's right, it'll make my life so much easier and give me far more flexibility in my board.

Thanks again!

Comment

You were right about the Boss FV-30l too. I meant to say EV-30.

Comment

You'll probably want to check the manual and make sure it will let you set that parameter for an external pedal, I've never tried it. Probably take some experimentation with different hardness rubber pads, the ones Boss uses is pretty stiff, don't want it so soft you are switching by accident at the end of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

That’s a really interesting way to do it. Are the pads adjustable?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I use a Mission pedal for a Fractal, and the switch is a great thing. It has a specific jack for the switch, so you have to see if that polarity is the same as you Boss needs to 'see'. You can always add a switch like the FS5l next to your expression pedal to stomp on before you reach for the expression pedal, too. Again, it should say how this is implemented in the Boss manual.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  That’s a really interesting way to do it. Are the pads adjustable?
                  Not adjustable, although I guess you could stick more pads under them. They are hard enough that you have to press pretty intentionally to hit the switch point, unless you calibrate it differently of course.

GT-100 and GT-1000 work the same way, this video is just over 1 min, the one on the GT-1000 was about 10 mins:

Comment

Working...
                  X