Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

I don't care what anyone says...those look cool.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      PATB-1n on top, PATB-1b on bottom:
      A picture's worth a thousand words.

Comment

Most Gibsons and Epiphones since the mid-'80s have trem-spaced bridges. Drives me crazy that more people aren't aware of this. That's why their newer bridge models are labeled "T" (500T, 498T, 490T, etc) and their neck pickups are labeled "R" (for Regular spacing)
        Haha. Well it is for rhythm and treble. But the spacing is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Technically it is "Rhythm" and "Treble" (after all, Gibsons don't typically have a trem of any kind), but "T" pickups have 52mm spacing, which is even wider than DiMarzio's "F"-spacing (51mm) and much closer to Duncan's "Trembucker" spacing at 52.6mm.

My point is that Gibson has been using trem-spaced bridges along with the wider "T" series pickups in the bridge for 30+ years now. People often assume that Gibsons need narrower spacing in both positions, but this isn't true except on special models and vintage-correct reissues.
          100% correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -=The Dali
          --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            +1 on the PATB-3.
            Great singing bridge pickup with excellent definition and nice cleanup.
            A good bit of PAFish character there, even in its bone stock version.
            How does it compare output-wise to the Custom? I'm thinking the PATB-1 might be just slightly too hot for my tastes, and the Custom is just about right.

Comment

patb3 is hot paf territory, less push than the custom

a patb3 with a2 magnet is a very sweet pup, less bottom and more mids with a sweeter high end

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
                Huh? It is Trembucker spacing. It's literally in the name... PATB = Parallel Axis Trembucker.

First, "PATB" is not the "name" of the pickup. "PATB" is the alpha-numerical code used for PA pickups. The name of this pickup is "Parallel Axis Original."

Secondly, it comes in two variants: neck (standard spacing, classic wind), and bridge (TB spacing, hot wind). I would assume that anyone who had actually shopped for (and especially owned/used) one would know this.

That there is a PATB-1n with standard spacing should be understood after reading my post, which states that I use the neck model in both positions, and wish that it was was available with Trembucker spacing, to use the neck wind with bridge spacing. I obviously own the pickups; I'm not making stuff up. It's YOU who are making stuff up.

Not sure why your post is getting thumbed up, because it's flat-out wrong, not to mention its tone. You're already logged on to the Internet; you should do 60 seconds of basic research before attempting to refute someone with such self assuredness.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-02-2020, 10:43 PM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I'm fairly certain that ALL PATB's are trembucker spacing, regardless of their position. I'll dig mine out and measure it.
                  Nope. The PATB-1n is standard spaced, and has a PAF-ish wind. I wasn't makin **** up!
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I’m wondering...
                    Since this is a non-traditional looking pickup, would it be available to purchase in a double cream style configuration?

Comment

^ No. Black only.

But you could mask off the poles with liquid frisket, and finish the bobbins with a durable finish, like a urethane or epoxy.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I did not know anything about the neck versions!

In fact, I do not know if there is a neck version that is good for PATB-3. I've paired mine with a fugly neck, but still am curious. And I am amazed/surprised that I did not wonder about the neck versions of these pickups for all this time. I have used my PATB-3 for more than 15 years now, I think...

B

PS: I stand corrected:

It's been 13 years!
                        Last edited by dr.barlo; 06-02-2020, 06:50 PM.
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Article about the Parallel Axis Original set, by our own Darth Phineas: http://darthphineas.com/2017/12/seym...axis-original/.

The neck model is the real superstar of the PATB line, IMO. It's everything that's good about a PAF (dynamics, sweetness, low output), while minimizing the bad (sometimes muddiness and lack of clarity).
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-02-2020, 07:21 PM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

you guys give me GAS!
                            Is the original PATB Bridge more compressed than a custom 5?

Comment

I would say fuller, not necessarily more compressed

Comment

well that shouldn’t be too hard especially for leads.
                                but about the same level of compression?
                                then i think i will opt for the PATB-3.

even the pegasus sometimes feels too compressed for me
                                Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X