AP2 neck PG bridge.....WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP2 neck PG bridge.....WOW!

Just paired these together and man oh man do they sound great. I'm either on the neck pickup or bridge. Never ever in the middle position. If I could have a two way switch I'd be perfectly happy. The AP2 has warmth, with a wonderful sweet top end. Never dark or murky. Actually, if there is a perfect neck pickup this would definitely be a contender. Switching to the PG bridge you get that bite with weight on the notes that just sings. The response is quick and immediate. Just a terrific set, and a ton of fun to play.
    2018 Fender Shawbucker Deluxe (APH 2/APH 1)
    2019 Eastman T59v (Wolfetone Dr Vintage/Marshall Head)

Re: AP2 neck PG bridge.....WOW!

glad you like it, i really like both those pups!

Comment

It is a great combination for many people. I am happy it is working for you- 2 non Custom Shop pickups that are fairly common still sound amazing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was a bit apprehensive about the AP2 being buttery and warm. Maybe too warm was my concern. But man was I surprised at how balanced it is. Yes it is warm, and full sounding, but the top end has a nice roundness that is extremely pleasing. Can't ever imagine getting ear fatigue with this voicing. Sounds fantastic both clean as well as driven.

Comment

Once upon a time ago I was PAF style swap nutty. Put everything everywhere.

First - on the A2P - it gets a bad rep sometimes as the "Slash sound" especially his cartoony-overprocessed cheese-whiz tone of late. A2P is the sound of Appetite. great pickup in all kinds of ways. Peeps here really dig the bass/mids, naturally. But it has more than enough highs IMO.

Now - the PG bridge; Often accuse3d of being too thin. I don't get it. Neither does the Rev Billy G. The A2 in there just totally smooths the high end of the highs.

The combo: A2P neck and PG Bridge is my wide range go to. If you put the fattest of the fat in the neck, and the bright one in the bridge, and then tie them together with that A2 magnet - just an awesome range of tones. Cool thing here is the middle can be different than either with a little volume/tone changes. Interested to hear why you have not explored that???

The opposite pair, PG neck and A2P bridge is the close range combo: Brightest in the neck, latest in the bridge. Keeps a pretty even tone from bridge to neck, or at least not nearly as far apart as the other.

And of course, A2P set or PG set are pretty darnnenjoyable too! Hard to miss with any combo of those. And 59's usually mix and match in there well also.

What guitar is this in? First Duncans? First after market pickups?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This set is in a Fender Shawbucker Deluxe Tele. Have had Duncan pickups before over the years, but never this particular pairing. My other guitar is a 335 style with Wolfetone Dr Vintage/Marshall Head set. Excellent pickups as well.

Comment

The Alnico II Pro remains my favorite neck pickup, ever, so I get the praise. It splits well, too, if you are interested in that kind of thing.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X