banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best Seymour pickups for an HSS Stratocaster setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best Seymour pickups for an HSS Stratocaster setup.

I have an Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe which has an SSS setup using Fender Tex-Mex pickups. The other day after switching on I caught a glimpse of an HSS Strat set-up using Seymour Duncan pickups, the overall sound was amazing especially the Twanging Bass found from the ‘H’ pickups. The sound that I have tried to emulate is the 50/60’s ‘Twangy’ Sound that The Shadows we’re so famous for producing, that’s the sound I’ve been after!
    What would you recommend for my Stratocaster, I’ve already ordered a new scratch plate in the HSS format, so I just need the answer to my question above to be able to go forward with the new sound.
    Nigel

Re: What are the best Seymour pickups for an HSS Stratocaster setup.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd consider either the Antiquity II Surfers (early 60s), or the SSL-1 (late 50s) for the Shadows sound. Do you want to keep the single coil in the bridge? Or switch to a humbucker?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds like he's going for the humbucker in the bridge (hss).

As important as the pickups are to the sound the guitar makes, the amp is just as (or MORE) important to the sound you hear.

So, I would also ask..."what amp are you playing through?"
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Not sure why you'd want a humbucker in the bridge if twangy surf tones are what you're after. Is the guitar even routed for HSS? Also when you put a humbucker in a guitar meant for single coils it will sound slightly less bright due to the 250k pots, which is the opposite of what you're after. My suggestion is to go on the search for a slightly-higher output single coil

Comment

Working...
        X