banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup similar to Hot Stack, without the small flange where the wiring is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup similar to Hot Stack, without the small flange where the wiring is?

I wanted to put a Hot Stack in a Carvin H-S-H guitar I'm getting, but I just realized the middle pickup rout in Carvins does not have that small flange near the wire exits (that many single coils have). Their single coil pickups are just round at the ends and straight-rectangular throughout the length of them, as is the rout in the guitar.

What single coil would get me closest to this sound, but will fit in this guitar? I'm mostly using it in combination with either humbucker (+ neck for clean tones, + bridge for high-gain lead tones)

Re: Pickup similar to Hot Stack, without the small flange where the wiring is?

FYI, you can order the Hot Stack without the flange, through the Shop Floor Custom program (ordered through any SD dealer).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      FYI, you can order the Hot Stack without the flange, through the Shop Floor Custom program (ordered through any SD dealer).
      Thank you!!!

Comment

Now that I've started going down the rabbit hole, I'm wondering how the Vintage Rails pickup compares to the Hot Stack.

I see it is also ceramic, but with more output and slightly different EQ. I might need slightly more output, as I will be pairing it often with a full humbucker (Sentient) in the Carvin, as opposed to a stacked humbucker (Dmz Cruiser) in my other guitar.

The Vintage Rails does seem to be the go-to for the middle position of the "Rails" pickups. The Cool Rails seems way to mids-focused to me, from the examples I've listened to, and the Hot Rails too hot (go figure )

Curious also about how it sounds wired in series vs parallel vs split. I will have a two-way switch to either split it or put it in series/parallel. I can also split the humbuckers, so I'm curious how pairing it with a split Sentient would sound.
        Last edited by ericcomposer72; 05-29-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Vintage Rails is a much lower output pickup, that sounds like a classic Strat pickup, but noiseless. The Hot Stack is much hotter, thicker, and grind-ier. If you want a higher output classic-sounding pickup, I'd look at the Classic Strat Stack, but it depends on what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Vintage Rails is a much lower output pickup, that sounds like a classic Strat pickup, but noiseless. The Hot Stack is much hotter, thicker, and grind-ier. If you want a higher output classic-sounding pickup, I'd look at the Classic Strat Stack, but it depends on what you want.
            That's very interesting, as the SD website seems to imply the opposite, as far as the outputs go for the neck/middle (at least for the Hot Stack neck/middle. The Hot Stack Plus is listed as a much higher output).

Is it the "Classic Stack Plus" you're recommending? That does sound like the tone I'm looking for. Looking to add the bell-like harmonic content with a little more output.

Comment

Yes, the Classic Stack Plus. It totally nails classic chimey bell-like Strat tone, but noiseless.

Comment

Working...
              X