Thread: 80s JB details

Ultimate Tone Member

Default 80s JB details

I have been looking into getting and Antiquity JB but then thought about getting the pickup it is based on for less money, I have no idea what to look for as far as confirming it is from the eighties. What should the baseplate supposed to look like? Shoud have a sticker with the model and an initial on the back as well? Thanks for any info I receive.

Default Re: 80s JB details

Get one that Seymour wound. Pay the price. Thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Or just go and get the cheapest JB you can find, tweak the treble ,001 inches on the amp and rock on.

Or just get an ANT JB and be done with the endless mods and searching .

If you want the street cred of owning the real thing, hunt a vintage one down. If you want the cred and can't find a vintage one, get the Antiquity. If you love the sound, any one will do...even modern ones.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

To me, the magic in getting a great PAF wound by someone who knows what they’re doing is all the subtle harmonics and touch sensitive dynamics.

With a JB, you’re getting anything but subtle. Buy whichever one you want. You can always swap magnets if you want, but it’s a 16k + wound humbucker. It’s going to scream, not purr.

Ultimate Tone Member

All good points!

Ultimate Tone Member

Not looking for any “cred” I had an Antiquity JB a couple of years ago and thought it sounded a bit different than the regular production model but my memory may be incorrect, everyone raves about the 80’s models so I figured I may try one but had no idea how to date them.

The oldest ones are different. Dont have the spike people complain about and clean up rolling back the volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Mine is an 80s model, which I bought because it was double black, no logo and significantly cheaper than an Antiquity JB. I didn’t see any shop floor customs when I was looking.

It does clean up well, but it sounds a lot like the 498t it replaced. A little clearer, but same ballpark. Everyone whines about the upper mid spike in the 498t too, so I’m guessing they aren’t a lot different. Apparently I like that tone.

Put it this way, my 59 was made sometime after 2000 best I can tell and it sounds great too. If I could have found a JB without the logo from that timeframe I’d have just saved the money. In hindsight I’m about to put covers on them so I probably wasted time and money anyway.

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimlp View Post
    Not looking for any “cred” I had an Antiquity JB a couple of years ago and thought it sounded a bit different than the regular production model but my memory may be incorrect, everyone raves about the 80’s models so I figured I may try one but had no idea how to date them.
    There's a drastic difference between a Ant and a stock JB. The Ant sounds very rustic. My 86 JBJ sounds rustic compared to a stock model but not quite to the extreme of the Ant. I also believe the wind to be different as it sounds more like a old PAF and is smoother without that ultra mid bite. Imo spending $90 for a sweet, real deal, vintage JB isn't exactly getting ripped off. That's way less than boutique price for a sweet boutique pickup.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-29-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Turning around to the
    Next set of lies
    Wondering what will come next

Ultimate Tone Member

I just listened to the comparison between the three models and the Antiquity JB sounds more open and aggressive compared to the production model

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    There's a drastic difference between a Ant and a stock JB. The Ant sounds very rustic. My 86 JBJ sounds rustic compared to a stock model but not quite to the extreme of the Ant. I also believe the wind to be different as it sounds more like a old PAF and is smoother without that ultra mid bite. Imo spending $90 for a sweet, real deal, vintage JB isn't exactly getting ripped off. That's way less than boutique price for a sweet boutique pickup.

I compared my JBJ to an AntJB and a 35th Anni JB. I thought that the 35th is really a good reissue.
    Maybe an Unoriented A5 mag swapped into a stock JB could be the ticket.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimlp View Post
    I just listened to the comparison between the three models and the Antiquity JB sounds more open and aggressive compared to the production model
    i did too and i also like the ant jb best. more open, less stuffed. i rate the current production 2nd and the 35th anniversary dead last. too round and middy for my liking. i like some edge. maybe in a few yearS i see it differently

Senior Member GrilledChickenSalad's Avatar

Get one that Seymour wound.

nope

Quote Originally Posted by JB6464 View Post
    Or just get an ANT JB and be done with the endless mods and searching .

yep

My old JB, which looks like the pic Beau posted, had a much more laid back tone than the other JB I’ve owned...and returned.

The wind on mine was lower dc and a roughcast mag compared to modern ones.

Luke
    That which we do for ourselves dies with us that which we do for others lives forever.