80’s JB details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80’s JB details

I have been looking into getting and Antiquity JB but then thought about getting the pickup it is based on for less money, I have no idea what to look for as far as confirming it is from the eighties. What should the baseplate supposed to look like? Shoud have a sticker with the model and an initial on the back as well? Thanks for any info I receive.

Re: 80’s JB details

Get one that Seymour wound. Pay the price. Thank me later.

Comment

Or just go and get the cheapest JB you can find, tweak the treble ,001 inches on the amp and rock on.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Or just get an ANT JB and be done with the endless mods and searching .

Comment

If you want the street cred of owning the real thing, hunt a vintage one down. If you want the cred and can't find a vintage one, get the Antiquity. If you love the sound, any one will do...even modern ones.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To me, the magic in getting a great PAF wound by someone who knows what they’re doing is all the subtle harmonics and touch sensitive dynamics.

With a JB, you’re getting anything but subtle. Buy whichever one you want. You can always swap magnets if you want, but it’s a 16k + wound humbucker. It’s going to scream, not purr.

Comment

All good points!

Comment

Not looking for any “cred” I had an Antiquity JB a couple of years ago and thought it sounded a bit different than the regular production model but my memory may be incorrect, everyone raves about the 80’s models so I figured I may try one but had no idea how to date them.

Comment

The oldest ones are different. Don’t have the spike people complain about and clean up rolling back the volume.

Comment

Mine is an 80s model, which I bought because it was double black, no logo and significantly cheaper than an Antiquity JB. I didn’t see any shop floor customs when I was looking.

It does clean up well, but it sounds a lot like the 498t it replaced. A little clearer, but same ballpark. Everyone whines about the upper mid spike in the 498t too, so I’m guessing they aren’t a lot different. Apparently I like that tone.

Comment

Put it this way, my 59 was made sometime after 2000 best I can tell and it sounds great too. If I could have found a JB without the logo from that timeframe I’d have just saved the money. In hindsight I’m about to put covers on them so I probably wasted time and money anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
                        Not looking for any “cred” I had an Antiquity JB a couple of years ago and thought it sounded a bit different than the regular production model but my memory may be incorrect, everyone raves about the 80’s models so I figured I may try one but had no idea how to date them.
                        There's a drastic difference between a Ant and a stock JB. The Ant sounds very rustic. My 86 JBJ sounds rustic compared to a stock model but not quite to the extreme of the Ant. I also believe the wind to be different as it sounds more like a old PAF and is smoother without that ultra mid bite. Imo spending $90 for a sweet, real deal, vintage JB isn't exactly getting ripped off. That's way less than boutique price for a sweet boutique pickup.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 05-29-2020, 10:23 AM.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I just listened to the comparison between the three models and the Antiquity JB sounds more open and aggressive compared to the production model

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          There's a drastic difference between a Ant and a stock JB. The Ant sounds very rustic. My 86 JBJ sounds rustic compared to a stock model but not quite to the extreme of the Ant. I also believe the wind to be different as it sounds more like a old PAF and is smoother without that ultra mid bite. Imo spending $90 for a sweet, real deal, vintage JB isn't exactly getting ripped off. That's way less than boutique price for a sweet boutique pickup.

Comment

I compared my JBJ to an AntJB and a 35th Anni JB. I thought that the 35th is really a good reissue.
                            Maybe an Unoriented A5 mag swapped into a stock JB could be the ticket.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
                              I just listened to the comparison between the three models and the Antiquity JB sounds more open and aggressive compared to the production model
                              i did too and i also like the ant jb best. more open, less stuffed. i rate the current production 2nd and the 35th anniversary dead last. too round and middy for my liking. i like some edge. maybe in a few yearS i see it differently

Comment

Working...
                              X