Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Bridge and Middle P/U options to work with a Sustainiac

Hi Everybody!

This is my first post and I'm not sure if it's been asked before because the search function doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason.

So here it goes!

I'm planning on building a new Strat with a Sustainiac system and I'm trying to figure what I should get for the Bridge and Middle positions.

I'm thinking a JB Jr or a Little 59 for the bridge and for the middle either a Classic Stack Plus or Custom Stack Plus or maybe a Duckbucker.

I want to build this guitar to be versatile for session/production work and film/media composition. That being said this Strat is definitely influenced by Belew, Fripp, Ed O'Brien and Bill Nelson. I played the EOB Strat at my local shop and liked the JB Jr but just wondering if there is a better match up or more versatile setup.

Also I already have an EC Strat so I'm set for the "Classic" Strat tone but I do want the Position 2 and 4 Strat sound on this guitar. Also I plan on the new guitar having an Alder body, Maple/Rosewood neck with Stainless Steel frets and an all Stainless Steel Kahler Vibrato Bridge and a Superswitch for pickup selection.

I'm not a shredder and have no interest in a super high gain metal sound (though I work at Little Mountain Sound). My influences lie more in the 1975-1985 New Wave/Prog/Rock era a la the previous mentioned guitarists and post 1995 experimental rock/ electronic music with a huge affection for Jazz, RnB, and Funk.

I hope that helps with the suggestions!

Thanks a bunch,
    Spencer
    Last edited by SpencerDC; 05-28-2020, 10:26 PM.

Re: Strat Bridge and Middle P/U options to work with a Sustainiac

Welcome to the forum!

As a big Fripp and Belew fan, I get the obsession!
    For the middle, I'd go with the Classic Stack, as the output is higher than the Vintage Rails, and will blend better with the bridge pickup giving you a vintage Strat sound with a better blend. For the bridge, the Little 59 is closer to Fripp's tones, as it is warm without too much output. None of those tones are like a JB Jr, with the high output overdriving the amp hard. Those prog tones are done by boosting the signal with a fuzz after the guitar, retaining the dynamics. Let us know how this project turns out.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just can't understand Ed O'brien preferring a JB in a strat for his style. Then again it probably hits the mark when playing a lot of pre-OK Computer riffs

Comment

Thanks Mincer! That's the combo I was leaning towards. I will post more updates once I start on this project! Also is this the right wiring guide to follow (minus the Sustainiac part obviously)? Also I would get the Middle Pickup as "Reverse Wound", correct? What are your thoughts on pots and tone caps for this setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2STK_SCH_S5W_1V_1T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	5820699
        Last edited by SpencerDC; 05-29-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

rainsong86 - Yeah "The Bends" is pretty "gain-y"

Comment

Working...
          X