Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Better brush up on your RATT riffs, Aceman...we need you to channel your inner DeMartini, ha ha!
    Seriously, man. That hurts....
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Update: Got some serious work done on the Riot video last night. as soon as that is done (This week?) I will be moving on to this as my epic project of summer.

You can view the Riot vid first. Then I'll take comments. We'll see what happens with it after that.

Comment

In defense of Aceman's proposal, all of your "but I prefer this model over that model" area baseless unless you've done completely Double blind tests.
        Real science for Real Men! (ease up there Broomhilda, it's just a saying!)

Comment

I think Mincer should do the clean passages

Comment

I'm going to chime in just to say that I don't think that there is any "best" version of the JB. Just as there is no "best" pickup period. It depends on the person playing, the guitar, the effects/amp/ speaker(s), room, mic (if recorded), playback equipment (once again, if a recording) and ultimately, the listener's "ear".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm gonna say, that if it is 80s playing you want, then I'm out. I do what I do, and it is best to get someone else if that is what you want.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

We'll let Aceman choke out the chugs and squealies under gain

Mincer, we need you for some consistent cleans and a second set of ears

Comment

I have a Shecter Banshee ( 2013 model ) and it came stock with a JB/Jazz combo. I have another super strat with an SH-5 and a Jazz neck combo. I am not a fan of either really. I don't mind the Jazz neck pickup though. The output is really hot and it has an interesting EQ shape. It isn't my favorite sounding neck pickup, but it works well enough. I'm gonna say it, but I have a guitar with the SD performers in N & B and I prefer its sound. I also have an OLP Axis ( early 2000's model ) and its stock pickups sound great for cheap Chinese POS's. I thought based on all the rave reviews of the JB that it would be a killer sounding guitar. It just isn't. The JB is TOO dark, honky sounding, and lifeless. Can't play a damn thing clean with it and I have a universe of space between it and the strings after trying everything else I could think of. I have tried direct mounting it, raising the poles, removed the tone pot, you name it. Nothing but overly loud honk and no definition at all. Sure it does crunch and distortion all day, but it is not a well-rounded pickup. The Jazz is barely passable for me. It is very bright, which I like, but it also has a heavily scooped mid-range. The bottom end is almost too full and both of mine are right on the cusp of being too boomy. The output of the Jazz is also half the battle. They are LOUD and trying to make it match the bridge volume when balancing for clean and crunch, they almost need to be buried in the tremolo claw cavity. The SH-5 is a little more manageable of a pickup for me. Not as dark as the JB, but it has that mid-range bark they say in the marketing ads. Not honky at least, but again the output is on the verge of too much.

All that said, I guess I am finding that in my old age I have evolved into preferring lower output, clearer sounding pickups, and have been investing more in single coils lately. I used to be hugely anti single coil. Couldn't deal with the buzz and they always seemed too wirey and bright to me. Now I welcome the brightness and the clarity comes in spades. Interestingly enough, buzz doesn't seem to be a problem for me as of late. I can get more than enough gain these days without any appreciable buzz. In either case, I am on the hunt to find a replacement for the JB/Jazz set in my Banshee. I want a shredder guitar with a shredder sound, but I definitely want a guitar that will do clean and actually has some not definition. The guitar itself is amazing.

So yeah, I hope you can find all the JB's you're looking for, I woudl send you mine but I don't have a replacement for it yet. Mine is an OEM variant if that makes any difference?

Comment

This is not about the best JB for playing "Dangerous But Worth The Risk"

It is about:

#1 You think this JB or that JB sounds different
                    #2 You have a preconception of which JB sounds best

My hypothesis is you can't tell them apart, and the one you think sounds best is NOT the one you pick as there best sounding.

And then you'll have to eat a big hairy moose organ. Or refuse to play, which is to admit you like thick chewy moose organ...

Comment

What if C.A.T. really spelled Dog?
                      I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

As long as the test is truly defensible research, Dr. Statistics. We’re certain YouTube surely will reveal what so many actual guitar players have observed first hand, are we? Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          As long as the test is truly defensible research, Dr. Statistics. We’re certain YouTube surely will reveal what so many actual guitar players have observed first hand, are we? Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.
                          But if your comparing different JBs, the DC will be different. I've seen older ones with specs that it would be impossible to find a current production model in. The Thrash Factor is based off one of these pickups for example.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            But if your comparing different JBs, the DC will be different. I've seen older ones with specs that it would be impossible to find a current production model in. The Thrash Factor is based off one of these pickups for example.
                            But Aces contention is they are the same. Same wind, same number of turns on the coils. If that’s true, then if the DCR is different, the wire on the bobbins must be a different thickness, causing a different resistance, potentially affecting the sound. To prove they are the same, if the old and new have the same DCR, then they have the same number of turns and same thickness of wire and should sound nearly identical.

Comment

I have no doubts that they sound different. It is just, with the way I play, I'd never be able to tell, and wouldn't be the target audience to test such a theory.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Also your test pickups must have identical DCR, otherwise we know the wire gauge is different and possibly the wind. Apples to apples and all.
                                This isn't really feasible. Plus, differing DCR does not mean that wire gauge or turn count are necessarily different.

Pickups are generally wound to a turn count, not a specific DCR, and multiple factors can play into measurable differences in DCR...coil geometry between butyrate vs polycarbonate bobbins, winding tension, separate batches of wire (different suppliers, tolerances, coating thicknesses), etc.

The two '70s JB's I have here don't even match each other from a DCR perspective. Does that mean they are different pickups, use different gauges of wire, or sound discernibly different once in a guitar? Not necessarily.

Comment

Working...
                                X