The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

I'm wondering, if to truly capture the subtle difference, a high res audio file might be better than a video. "Seeing" isn't really necessary for this test. Any modern interface, like a 2nd or 3rd gen Scarlett would do the trick.

Edit: And to put my money where my mouth is, I have a 2nd gen Scarlett 18i8 and several pretty decent mics I could loan to the project. I have a pair of Sennheiser e609 Silvers, a Senn 906, a pair of M-Audio Ariels, and an MXL 990.

And, like Masta' c . . . I want 'em back.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-01-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

AKG 414 or AKG 412 might be better to ensure all frequencies are captured.

What amps/speakers are being used?

Comment

If the difference is THAT subtle, I'm calling insignificant.

Not gonna do a studio reference version. If you can't hear through a youtube video, it's all in your imagination.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Edit: okie dokie.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Says the guy who thinks a Distortion is identical to a JB minus the mag. Lol!!
            Hey now - no mis-quotes. My policy has always been they are so close I don't care. But not the same...but pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              If the difference is THAT subtle, I'm calling insignificant.

Not gonna do a studio reference version. If you can't hear through a youtube video, it's all in your imagination.
              So you’re going to use YouTube to make them sound as much alike as you can to bias the test and confirm the thread title hypothesis. I get it.

Comment

I say this out of love: everything okay Aceman? You seem like a nice guy and have been very helpful to me and a lot of other people over the years but lately there's been a bit of an edgy tone to your posts?

Back to pickups: a YouTube video can be fun but an audio file accompanied by subjective "feel" statements by you and Mincer would be awesome.

Comment

The world is on edge. Ace is still a nice guy.

Comment

There's more than one JB?
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Is that not the video I posted?
                      You did and I missed it! Thanks for posting it. I listened to it again. I sure wish there were more guitar straight to amp pickup comparisons without several pedals. All of those ****ing pedals cost more than the ****ty amp he used.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                        I have two, so there’s that.

Comment

The question is whether or not people can identify the subtleties of the same pickup design but different age/winder/wire, but the plan is to send the files through compressed, low resolution audio format? It seems very plausible to me that someone could identify and appreciate the subtleties in person but lose the ability to detect that over low-res-web-audio.

I spent a ton of time evaluating audio equipment online using YouTube and made some decisions. Later. I got good headphones, then a high quality DAC, then amplification. What I hear now through the system is “totally” different (to me) and I would have and do make different choices with my new setup, that more accurately reflect what I experience when I bring those products home.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but I feel like this is asking someone to choose which which car they’d rather drive in real life, based on what they experienced in a video game.

I’m calling BS on this test.
                          Last edited by Joe Garfield; 06-02-2020, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                            That's what I said!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                              The question is whether or not people can identify the subtleties of the same pickup design but different age/winder/wire, but the plan is to send the files through compressed, low resolution audio format? It seems very plausible to me that someone could identify and appreciate the subtleties in person but lose the ability to detect that over low-res-web-audio.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but I feel like this is asking someone to choose which which car they’d rather drive in real life, based on what they experienced in a video game.
                              Yes - just like the Duncan site sound clips

And you think guys on here asking about the various shades are doing any better than the car analogy????

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Yes - just like the Duncan site sound clips

And you think guys on here asking about the various shades are doing any better than the car analogy????
                                Having the actual pickups in your own guitar in person through your own amp, yes, can hear exactly what makes the same model/different era pickups different, far far better than buying a car based on a video of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X