The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LLL View Post
    Allow me to break down to some degree as to how this would transpire if it happened:

- unless you have every pickup at your personal disposal, you're going to need to communicate with others to temporarily acquire (borrow) said pickups
    - the above will take a good amount of time as these people will need to box up & ship their pickups; who knows how long that will take

Once you finally acquire said pickups:

- you'll need to hone your recording skills so you can get a quality and consistent result for each test clip
    - you'll have to pick one guitar to test on
    - you'll prolly pick some sort of rhythm and/or solo lines that are repeatable (consistency).
    - you'll have to set up your test rig including microphone(s) (if not going direct)

For the actual test:

- you'll record the 1st pickup, then possibly have to cut strings (depends on things as well as how consistent you want to be); if you don't
    cut strings, then technically you're not being consistent (fresh set every clip would be optimal)
    - you'll have to break out the soldering iron, disconnect the pickup, slap in the next pickup and solder it up, then possibly (as above) re-string and tune up
    - repeat these steps for each pickup

Once done recording:

- you'll need to use a limiter or some plugin to normalize all of your clilps so they are close in volume level (consistency)
    - you'll need to export all of these to .mp3 (320kbps is best - although .mp3s for a listening test is sort of a joke, should be uncompressed .wav or the like)
    - you'll need to post each of these clips to Soundcloud or whatever website
    - you'll need to post each clip on the forum and type up a long explanation of whatever "system" you used to test, etc...

The end result?

A hell of a lot of work for the "reward" of (most probable) "well, there's a very slight difference between the models".

And a lot of arguing from various posters about your method, about the tonal quality, about the slight differences, etc you name it.
    I get it man - you choose not to participate. That's cool.
    No need to make such a grand statement
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
      Darth Phineas is one of the most well know pick-up reviewers and he does none of what you described.
      I'm familiar with him and his Wordpress site (he used to post here as well).

He asked me a few questions back in the day about the BK VHII.

Does Darth Phineas post clips comparing variations of the same model pickup a la the JB (like Ace is proposing here)?

No.

Does Darth Phineas write pickup reviews?

Yes.
      Last edited by LLL; 04-09-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I get it man - you choose not to participate. That's cool.
        No need to make such a grand statement
        That's not what I'm saying.

I thought about this exercise, then thought "If I were gonna do this, what would need to be done to complete it?"

And then I thought of all the BS and gyrations I'd have to do (swapping pickups,etc etc etc), and the end result of all that hard work... which would be "bupkis".

Comment

• Haha true. I think the main reason is forum entertainment value tho.

The best way to do it would be for someone to just spring for one of those pickup change guitars.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Haha true. I think the main reason is forum entertainment value tho.

The best way to do it would be for someone to just spring for one of those pickup change guitars.
            You have a wallet. Go for it. Perhaps this problem is already solved. Who knows?

Comment

• After the "Sweet Child O'Mine" A2P experiment I'm kinda thinking the JB demo is almost moot. There's a whole lot less difference between the JBs than the GnR riff neck pups
              Last edited by gsammo79; 04-10-2021, 12:39 PM.
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I'm a Libertarian, so I'm ok with that.

I will say that I was a little shocked at the number of A2P views. That was just random. This has 27 pages of interest.

Plus, I'm a scientist. I do things just for the science of it. I'm not out to make mega-bucks. Just knowing that I could is enough for me.
                It isn't meant to discourage you. You totally should do this. But you will have 2x as many people doubting your method when it is over. That is just the human way.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• I'd like to hear it. I have one of the first Seymour-wound JBs and a recent shop floor production. I know how they sounded, and what I noticed was different, when I put them in my Les Paul. I've tried the old one in my Jackson also, which makes the same pickup sound different. I'm interested in hearing what these sound like in Ace's guitars, if I can even perceive some difference to begin with, and what the difference between his guitars (and amp) and mine does.

Comment

• One thing I'm sure of...I'm not handing over my valuable JB's to someone who uses 3 different guitars to compare pickups and records with an iPhone mic

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      One thing I'm sure of...I'm not handing over my valuable JB's to someone who uses 3 different guitars to compare pickups and records with an iPhone mic
                      Good choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post

It isn't meant to discourage you. You totally should do this. But you will have 2x as many people doubting your method when it is over. That is just the human way.
                        Not all discouraged Dave. I just mean to say I understand that no group will wholly satisfied no matter what I do. And I'm ok with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
                          After the "Sweet Child O'Mine" A2P experiment I'm kinda thinking the JB demo is almost moot. There's a whole lot less difference between the JBs than the the GnR riff video.
                          Bah....that doesn't even count. The level of rigor on this beast will be epic.

But you raise a good point for consideration.

Comment

Not all discouraged Dave. I just mean to say I understand that no group will wholly satisfied no matter what I do. And I'm ok with that.
                            That is the best attitude going in.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There will always be some keyboard warrior that will come after your opinion no matter what your opinion is. You have an healthy attitude walking into this.

Comment

Working...
                              X