Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    they sound different, but your preference may/may not be for what you think you like or believe is "better"
    THIS is the interesting part of this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
      Does that include the ANT JB or just the production models for your ears ?
      I've never heard them in the same guitar. But the JB has a 'sound' and they all have it. While this pickup has its fans, I was never one of them...of any of the JB types.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There was a video made by a member here comparing the different JBs. It's a great video.

Someone post it.

Comment

zenmindbeginner - great player, great productions. I miss his contributions to the SD world. To be fair, his vid was comparing the regular JB vs the 35th vs the Antiquity

I believe what Aceman is proposing is a shoot-out between production JB's from over the years. I think a '70s "The JB Model" vs large-logo (1983-86) JBJ vs small-logo (1987-90) vs modern production comparison would be cool!

How long would it take you to do the test, Aceman?

I might be willing to let you borrow a pair of '70s "The JB Model" pickups (one early run, one from ~1979) and a 1988-89 "JBJ". All are unmodified (i.e. no prior mag-swaps, etc). You'd just have to sort a large-logo early-'80s JB and and a newer production unit.

Unfortunately, I sold all my other JBJ's (many to forum members) along with my more recent production models.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            And the fact that you can't tell the difference sonically does not mean it wasn't. <3 <3 <3
            Agreed.
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Re: The JB &quot;I call BS on everyone&quot; thread

This is just Aces “gimme free pickups” thread. Not a chance, Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                zenmindbeginner - great player, great productions. I miss his contributions to the SD world. To be fair, his vid was comparing the regular JB vs the 35th vs the Antiquity
                I've seen the video and strangely enough my preference (and longcat's too) were Antiquity > current > 35th. Even though we liked the Antiquity best, the margin wasn't enough that I can justify nearly $300 for a set of pickups when the early/mid 2000s JB/Jazz set in her LP sound great as-is.

Generally I like the Custom better, but the JB works really well in the right guitar.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                  There was a video made by a member here comparing the different JBs. It's a great video.

Someone post it.
                  Is that not the video I posted?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    This is just Aces “gimme free pickups” thread. Not a chance, Hollywood.
                    Hey guys once and for all I'm going to prove Musicman and Suhr guitars have no sonic differences with the same pickups. Please send me about 10 of each so we have a large enough sample size. No relics (could affect the tone with less paint) please. Burst, green, or gold guitars preferred (good tone colors).

Return address not necessary.

Comment

Comment

I'll do Marshall jcm800's please send em my way...
                        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                          I'll do Marshall jcm800's please send em my way...
                          I've played a ton of JCM800s, both originals and 2203Xs. The reissues are amazingly consistent from amp to amp, while the originals are all over the map. There were at least two circuit revisions with the power supply redesign around '86, and the variation from amp to amp due to the 20% component tolerances. And that's completely setting aside differences in tubes...
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Aceman, could you detect a TB-4 out of the group?

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              Your idea that there's no possible way 1) pickup makers can change their product recipes between decades 2) decades of age can physically change the pickup and therefor the sound, and 3) people could actually hear the differences, is not a valid premise.
                              Scared?

We test these sorts of things using science. So, yeah. design the experiment and collect the data and find the truth.

On more than one occasion your premise that it CAN be done has been proven false...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I've never heard them in the same guitar. But the JB has a 'sound' and they all have it. While this pickup has its fans, I was never one of them...of any of the JB types.
                                So he is completely unbiased in his playing. He hates them all.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X