The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Hey - if you want to give the resources, the measurement tools, and let me build a real design with fancy maths and all....That's like one of the things I actually know how to do.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Maybe we just need 1 modern production JB and swap the mag, if the hypothesis is that is the only factor that could make a difference.

If the recipe is wound to a count, but the DCR are different, that would indicate the wire thickness is different. So the test pickups from different eras would need to have the same DCR, no?

Comment

Mag swapping a newer pickup doesn't definitively prove whether or not a newer pickup sounds different than a "JBJ" or a '70s "The JB Model", etc. Or am I missing the point of the proposed analysis?

I feel like people are making this more difficult than it needs to be. One guitar using the same adjustments (pickup height, knobs, etc), one amp using the same settings and mic placement (very important), same progressions and riffs played driven and clean, high quality recording provided for comparison. If the different JB versions are effectively different, you'll be able to tell. If not, they'll sound largely identical. If you need more than that to feel satisfied, then you're out of luck

Comment

They sound different even only comparing dirty. The differences are the same which I notice in mine. The 35th sounds more open and old school PAFy, the production one sounds clogged up and compressed, and the Ant also sounds somewhat more open but duller. Demo begins at 1:14.

The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

• The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            Mag swapping a newer pickup doesn't definitively prove whether or not a newer pickup sounds different than a "JBJ" or a '70s "The JB Model", etc. Or am I missing the point of the proposed analysis?
            Ace’s hypothesis is there’s no difference between old and new, and only mags might make a difference. If that’s true, putting a rough A5 in a new JB should make it sound like an old one.

Comment

Well, I also have a roughcast A5 that Ace can use to modify his own, newer production JB with. Then, he'll have the "real deal" to directly compare his simple mag-swapped JB with

Naturally, I would ask that the vintage pickups be left alone and not modified in any way

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                They sound different even only comparing dirty. The differences are the same which I notice in mine. The 35th sounds more open and old school PAFy, the production one sounds clogged up and compressed, and the Ant also sounds somewhat more open but duller. Demo begins at 1:14.

I love that they used the Give it All riff in this. I agree with your assesment, and of these I liked the 35th best. Of course, that is the only one not readily available...

Comment

No. The winds are different. My JB/Seth is hotter than my JBJ. Also the Ant doesn't have a roughcast A5 it has a smooth A5.
                  My Ant JB has a roughcast A5 .

Comment

The problem with that is that you know which is which. Just knowing makes it much easier to tell. And, you may be biased to choose one or the other based on what you have heard about them.

Without knowing that you might as easily go "That one sounded brittle and harsh, the other was smooth and fat"

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Ace’s hypothesis is there’s no difference between old and new, and only mags might make a difference. If that’s true, putting a rough A5 in a new JB should make it sound like an old one.
                      That's not exactly my hypothesis. But...yeah. In which case, I still win: Old JB, or JBJ, or whatever is just a mag swap away.

Not a damn thing magical about teh winder, or teh vintagez.

Comment

I was going for a ‘testable hypothesis.” But if the hypothesis is ‘people conclude something is better and hear characteristics that aren’t really there based on their bias of knowing what the product is”, I think that would require an in person test. The guys that concluded they prefer the older production were not passively listening to a sample to reach that conclusion. They installed them into a guitar they were familiar with and could observe the relative subtle deltas through their interactive playing of it. And some of those deltas were practical ones (not just purely psychoacoustic), like: I can physically get pinch harmonics out of this one but I’m not able to get pinch harmonics out of that one, and when volume is on 6, this one is clean while that one is still gritty. But I think this is an interesting exercise either way.

Comment

Better brush up on your RATT riffs, Aceman...we need you to channel your inner DeMartini, ha ha!

I would like to mention that, in addition to clean samples, I really appreciate comparisons that include both a mildly overdriven tone and a fully distorted sample, rather than one or the other. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Anyone who’s tried them knows, the absolute best JB is the fishman fluence classic voice 2. The paf voice 1 is just a bonus. If anyone knows tone it’s Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                              Anyone who’s tried them knows, the absolute best JB is the fishman fluence classic voice 2.
                              Shhh...quiet down you!

Seriously, though, the JB setting on the "Classic" is ridiculously good and has converted a lot of players. The voicing was modeled after Frank's own "The JB Model"!

Comment

So it isn’t just magnets that make the difference. Wonder what that little switch actually does?

Comment

Working...
                                X