Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Cobain has been interesting for 30 years lol. He's an effing legend!
    Too bad his music wasn't.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      What is this Riot/Dream/Solo vid thing you're working on? I missed that somewhere along the way...
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
        There's already a clip in this thread where differences could be heard. Subtle, but not indiscernible. Unless you're suggesting we're suffering from confirmation bias because the video tells us the pickups are different? Nonetheless, I'm stating that in that clip I could hear subtle differences, even under all that gain.

This, I mostly agree with. A lot of listeners aren't going to be familiar enough with all three versions to consistently match the tone to the pickup. I'll count myself among that group.

I'll add that I don't think one batch of clips is a large enough sample size. You need to record the same riff on the same model multiple times.

Riff A
        Pickup 1, Take 1
        Pickup 2, Take 1
        Pickup 3, Take 1

But then occasionally throw in some placebos and see if anyone catches that you included the same pickup in multiple takes. That's where you'll catch a listener's confirmation bias.

Riff B
        Pickup 1, Take 1
        Pickup 2, Take 1
        Pickup 1, Take 2

Riff C
        Pickup 2, Take 1
        Pickup 2, Take 2
        Pickup 2, Take 3.
        Brother I haven’t heard speak like that since sociology. I wish I could remember half of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Too bad his music wasn't.
          His entire catalog is extremely reputable from a rawk, pop, grunge/punk standpoint. As long as ur not evaluating it from a megaclassical, epic fusion, jazz, shred, I only listen to 32nd notes standpoint, then it's legit as ****. Just get help.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Maybe we need a separate Cobain “I call BS on everyone” thread

Comment

With Ace's recent absence from the forum and my job hours getting cut back even further due to COVID-19, I'm going to have to back out of my intended contribution to this effort.

Ultimately, I am going to sell my vintage JB's to help fund more important (to me) projects, as well as portions of my daily life

I was hoping this comparison project was something that Ace could "jump on" and get done around the time he announced the intent of the challenge, but my initial offer was made a month and a half ago and he already had other projects ahead of this one. Since then, there has been no indication of when this might actually take off and no one knows when Ace might be back on the forum again. Plus, in the very unlikely chance that he somehow disappears again in the middle of getting things done, I don't want to be out hundreds of dollars in rare pickups. I know that risk is extremely small, but things are tight and compromises are being made, so thoughts like that always linger in the back of the mind.

To be clear, I believe Ace is a very good guy and this has nothing to do with him on a personal level. Not at all. I would love to see this comparison happen and if I still have the pickups when he comes back around, we can revisit the idea. In the meantime, I simply have other things I need to worry about and projects to pay for and these pickups aren't doing me any good sitting here not getting played.

Sorry guys!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hours being cut, I hope things take a turn for the better. Good luck

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    With Ace's recent absence from the forum and my job hours getting cut back even further due to COVID-19, I'm going to have to back out of my intended contribution to this effort.

Ultimately, I am going to sell my vintage JB's to help fund more important (to me) projects, as well as portions of my daily life

I was hoping this comparison project was something that Ace could "jump on" and get done around the time he announced the intent of the challenge, but my initial offer was made a month and a half ago and he already had other projects ahead of this one. Since then, there has been no indication of when this might actually take off and no one knows when Ace might be back on the forum again. Plus, in the very unlikely chance that he somehow disappears again in the middle of getting things done, I don't want to be out hundreds of dollars in rare pickups. I know that risk is extremely small, but things are tight and compromises are being made, so thoughts like that always linger in the back of the mind.

To be clear, I believe Ace is a very good guy and this has nothing to do with him on a personal level. Not at all. I would love to see this comparison happen and if I still have the pickups when he comes back around, we can revisit the idea. In the meantime, I simply have other things I need to worry about and projects to pay for and these pickups aren't doing me any good sitting here not getting played.

Sorry guys!
                    PM me on the JBs if you have to sell.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                      "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
                      When you have to shoot, smile.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        PM me on the JBs if you have to sell.
                        PM sent

Comment

PM sent!
                          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

• And that's it? After 14 pages? All that smoke and no fire?

Did I miss something?
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              And that's it? After 14 pages? All that smoke and no fire?

Did I miss something?
                              Well ace got himself banned for an entire year..... So there's that.

​​​​
                              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

• Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post

Well ace got himself banned for an entire year..... So there's that.

​​​​
                                Ouch!
                                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                                X