Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I have no doubts that they sound different. It is just, with the way I play, I'd never be able to tell, and wouldn't be the target audience to test such a theory.
    Party pooper!

Does this mean we are relying on ACE for all levels of setup, production and quality assurance?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      Party pooper!

Does this mean we are relying on ACE for all levels of setup, production and quality assurance?
      No. This is a JB test. Not an 80's metal test.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        Party pooper!

What it means is that you ain't gonna get what most people expect from me. But I've been dealing with that my entire life.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Don't worry about Dave. He just needs to play cool ^%^%$. Some clean, some distorted, some chords, some single notes. I'll play Lay it down and In My Dreams for those that need to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pep2019 View Post
            In defense of Aceman's proposal, all of your "but I prefer this model over that model" area baseless unless you've done completely Double blind tests.
            Real science for Real Men! (ease up there Broomhilda, it's just a saying!)
            Sorry, but I call BS on this. If we were to follow your logic, then nobody anywhere would be allowed to have an opinion about pickups: very few of us will have participated in double blind tests, and I can almost guarantee that nobody has been involved in a double blind test that involved guitar pickups. Besides, how would you even design such a test? What would the goal be?

My main problem with blind tests, double or not, is that there will almost always be some sort of extra pressure in such tests and so decontextualized from the way that we normally listen that I have severe doubts whether you'd get very accurate results. This is doubly so if the test involves any sort of sensory deprivation.
            Last edited by Sirion; 06-08-2020, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I'm going to chime in just to say that I don't think that there is any "best" version of the JB. Just as there is no "best" pickup period. It depends on the person playing, the guitar, the effects/amp/ speaker(s), room, mic (if recorded), playback equipment (once again, if a recording) and ultimately, the listener's "ear".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
              This. Also, people do not have one aesthetic opinion. For a reasonably sophisticated listener it is not hard to say that one would prefer one sound in most cases, but would prefer another one for a slightly quirky project, and yet another one on one's favourite record etc.

Comment

Dude the original premise was that they're all idential. Lol!! Not that 1's the best. Lol!! That's obviously ****ing false even before beginning the experiment. What a joke. You deaf mofos.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

All kinds of people spout off about what the best JB is, how different this one is from that one, and people seek them out without even having heard them.

I maintain that
                  a) You can't tell the difference
                  b) The one you think is best is probably not the one you choose that sounds the best

And all kinds of excuses are showing up.

Comment

Boy...if it wasn't for COVID and everyone staring at their lap top bored to tears instead of doing other things, this thread would have ended at the first page.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      Boy...if it wasn't for COVID and everyone staring at their lap top bored to tears instead of doing other things, this thread would have ended at the first page.

I imagine you're right!
                      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Dude the original premise was that they're all idential. Lol!! Not that 1's the best. Lol!! That's obviously ****ing false even before beginning the experiment. What a joke. You deaf mofos.
                        Really, it was that the differences between them were so small that most listeners could not tell the difference, and that the one that they like best was actually different than the one that they thought that they would like best.

Comment

He didn't say that. He said this:

If you want a Seymour JB because coolness, fine. If you want a JB because "MJ" fine. But I am now calling BS on THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Meaning the sound isn't a valid reason to choose different versions of the JB. When that's exactly why I have several versions. The JB is my favorite bridge pickup. I only play clean and I can hear the differences easily when I play them. Don't get the fuss? If you want to be a deaf gear buff, then good for you. I'll operate based on the truths I know.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

He didn't say that. He said this:

If you want a Seymour JB because coolness, fine. If you want a JB because "MJ" fine. But I am now calling BS on THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Meaning the sound isn't a valid reason to choose different versions of the JB. When that's exactly why I have several versions. The JB is my favorite bridge pickup. I only play clean and I can hear the differences easily when I play them. Don't get the fuss? If you want to be a deaf gear buff, then good for you. I'll operate based on the truths I know.
                            Ok. You win. I was just reading between the lines and extrapolating based upon subsequent posts.
                            Happy?
                            And yes, I'm deaf. 53 years of exposure to high db levels with insufficient protection has a tendency to do that, along with genetics of course. My vision is also 20/600 uncorrected. And I'm about 30lbs overweight. Anything else to be criticized?

Comment

Sorry. I meant you in a general sense. To the people that straw man and red herring amok about these topics.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Sorry. I meant you in a general sense. To the people that straw man and red herring amok about these topics.
                                Oh, ok. I'll blame my oversensitivity on the full moon.

Comment

Working...
                                X