Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    I've seen the video and strangely enough my preference (and longcat's too) were Antiquity > current > 35th. Even though we liked the Antiquity best, the margin wasn't enough that I can justify nearly $300 for a set of pickups when the early/mid 2000s JB/Jazz set in her LP sound great as-is.

Generally I like the Custom better, but the JB works really well in the right guitar.
    Yeah - but was it a blind test? Or did you go into it knowing which was which? Bias introduced already!

NOT gonna do that here.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And for the "Ace wants free pickups" crowd, bite me.

I t took me forever and a day to find something to do with the one JB I have currently. NOT a fan....and there will be a mod involved.

Duncan COULD sponsor this little science experiment. But they won't....because $300 vs used for 50....

Now I would not recommend sending me your PG's or Distortions and expect them back. JB's - oh hell no I'm not keeping them!
      Last edited by Aceman; 05-30-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        And for the "Ace wants free pickups" crowd, bit me.

I t took me forever and a day to find something to do with the one JB I have currently. NOT a fan....and there will be a mod involved.

Duncan COULD sponsor this little science experiment. But they won't....because $300 vs used for 50....

Now I would not recommend sending me your PG's or Distortions and expect them back. JB's - oh hell no I'm not keeping them!
        On the other hand you’re both tone deaf and lacking in taste, so......

Comment

I'm half deaf but I could hear a difference without looking. And I was always right.

The Antiquity version sounds less stuffy. There's more space in the sound. More breath.

Like music. If every space is filled there's no room for rhythm.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

So he is completely unbiased in his playing. He hates them all.
            Well, hate is a strong word. I don't see how a JB can get me the sound I go for. That's better.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The JB "I call BS on everyone" thread

Yeah - but was it a blind test? Or did you go into it knowing which was which? Bias introduced already!

NOT gonna do that here.
              I’m not concerned about it being a blind test. I’m more expecting a deaf test. ;-)

Also, this test would be conducted in Florida, where meth = cocaine, so confirmation bias introduced already.

(Wish we had the :monkey: emoji on this forum.)

Comment

One of the first pickups I traded for on this forum was a TB4 wound by MJ. This was 2004, long before there was any sort of hype about them. That pickup sounded awesome in every guitar I put it in, so naturally I traded it off.

A few years later, again, long before the JBJ hype existed, I traded for a current production TB4. It went into some of the same guitars the first one had been in, and it did not feel the same as the other one. At that point, I was horsetrading gear like crazy, so maybe my ears changed, or whatever, who knows. My only point is that I thought there was something to it before anyone had any reason to call BS.

Also, I only play bass now, so I don't really give a crap about JB pickups anymore
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Here's three examples of my circa ~1989 JB ("JBJ" label) pickup:

Queensryche - Walk In The Shadows

Badlands - High Wire

RATT - Round And Round

It's got enough bite without being harsh, some of the best mids in a pickup (without need for EQ) for soloing, with a somewhat loose bottom.

Comment

Am I part of “everyone”?

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                      Am I part of “everyone”?
                      Only if you a) Say that there are clearly striking differences in these pickups and b) refuse to play the game - by voting in a blind listen.

You sir - had guitars cut from the same slab of wood for the regular vs Zephyr listen. We are gonna play some clips on the Youtube for this. Don't know that I could tell the diff between Zephyrs or regular pups there either.

Comment

I will listen to the video just out of pure curiosity (not a JB fan), and I will be happy to vote for my favorite, but no way can I vote for which JB is which. Not a clue!

Ironically I had a JBJ in a teardrop Teisco hollowbody for a few years when I played in a hardcore punk band in the late 1990s. I just walked into my local music store and asked if they had any used humbuckers. They had one, so I bought it for $20.

A few years ago I built a guitar, tried the Duncan, didn't care for it, and sold the pickup on eBay for maybe $70 or so. (It was in rough condition.) That's my JB story. A year later I sold the Teisco pickups for more!

Comment

A couple things we need to control in the experiment. Is YouTube quality enough to distinguish what is different? And, no one here ‘knows’ the guitar used for the experiment, so it will be difficult to distinguish variance with those uncontrolled influences.

What I can say about my experience is: I put a new production JB in my LP Studio (which I know very well acoustically and plugged in) and the new production JB sounded congested, clogged, no top end and a bad spike in the high mids, and when I rolled the volume off to 6 and even 4, it never cleaned up, it still had some grit. While the guitar was still plugged in to the amp, no changes, I swapped an early Seymour-wound JB (using a terminal strip to keep the same controls) and the old one cleaned up completely (no grit) when turned to 6 and it had the top end of a Pearly Gates, but tamed and not excessively bright, and the high mid spike everyone complains about wasn’t there.

Feel free to continue with the Florida meth experiment. I will play, objectively. But provide your own stinking pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            Here's three examples of my circa ~1989 JB ("JBJ" label) pickup:

Queensryche - Walk In The Shadows

Badlands - High Wire

RATT - Round And Round

It's got enough bite without being harsh, some of the best mids in a pickup (without need for EQ) for soloing, with a somewhat loose bottom.
                            Mine is a mid 80s JBL, but it sounds similar in my Les Paul. Ratt is a good reference. When I first tested it it sounded exactly like them. When I played it with the band I made the singer listen to Way Cool Jr. and then played it for him. He was mind blown.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

I might be willing to let you borrow a pair of '70s "The JB Model" pickups (one early run, one from ~1979) and a 1988-89 "JBJ". All are unmodified (i.e. no prior mag-swaps, etc). You'd just have to sort a large-logo early-'80s JB and and a newer production unit.
                              All right - I have a new regular plain Jane JB...Anyone got a large logo out there?

Comment

I'll get Duncan's own Mincer to come down . . .
                                Come "down" from Tampa? You must be in Miami.

Comment

Working...
                                X