banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining the impulse response gang (Two Notes C.A.B. M review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the impulse response gang (Two Notes C.A.B. M review)

Well, I've been avoiding using IRs for years but I am now being dragged into the 21st century by current noise limitations.

The last time I used IRs was several years ago, using the Two Notes Wall of Sound app. I thought it was ... okay. Recent demos/videos have sparked my interest again, especially since I cannot currently mic my guitar cabs for reamping, nor can I go to a studio and do it due to lockdown. So, I bit the bullet and got the C.A.B. M (I already own a load box from Hot Plate) from Prymaxe.

I typically write music using amp sims, focusing on the performance, and worry about the sonics when the song is getting close to mixing (I usually do editing and reamping when the drums and vocals are being recorded to make the most out of the wait time). My SOP when reamping is to use a Radial PRO RMP to my pedals/amps/cabs, select a microphone, and feed back into my interface via an SSL channel strip.

THE HARDWARE. The C.A.B. M is small (double pedal size), lightweight, and has a very bright OLED display that's quite easy to read. You can access every paramater from the pedal itself using the left and right encoders, which also act as push buttons. There is plenty of room for all of the necessary connectors, though the pedal does slide around a bit from the weight of the cables and connectors. This is not a major problem however.

For today's reamping, I am using four different amplifiers and a host of pedal options.

THE SOFTWARE. The app to control the C.A.B. M is called Torpedo Remote and it is a mobile app that I have on my iPad Mini4 and it connects via Bluetooth. I have had zero problems connecting, though I would not want to try this at a distance or during a gig where there is a lot of RF interference from lights, etc. The software is very intuitive to use and it's very easy to dial in a single or dual mic setup that stays in phase regardless of mic position. I prefer mic'ing a little further back that what is normal, so I selected a classic 57/121 combo and was able to get them balanced in no time. It helps if you already have an idea of what kind of sound you are going for or know something about the cabs and speakers being used, otherwise you could spend a VERY long time noodling around not getting things done.

THE SOUND. I am genuinely surprised by how far IR technology has advanced. The IRs sound eerily close to the real thing and the best part is that the response from using my actual amps FEELS correct; it has the same chewiness/sponginess as if it were an actual cabinet. Very cool!

Am I now an IR convert? Yes ... and no. If presented with the opportunity to mic a cab again, I would do it in a heartbeat over using the C.A.B. M. However, it does allow me to achieve something that would otherwise be impossible.

A note about using the power amp simulations: these have also come a LONG way in recent years. However, to my ears, it still doesn't sound like the real thing -- yet; I'm sure it will get there eventually! In a mix, the difference is negligible, so it comes down to what you are used to, I guess. I do miss the way an actual cabinet resonates throughout the whole house, though!

I will upload audio once I have the tracks edited and a rough mix ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_171757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	5854511Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_184046.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	5854512Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_212814.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	5854513Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_212825.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	5854514
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Joining the impulse response gang (Two Notes C.A.B. M review)

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Well, I've been avoiding using IRs for years but I am now being dragged into the 21st century by current noise limitations.

The last time I used IRs was several years ago, using the Two Notes Wall of Sound app. I thought it was ... okay. Recent demos/videos have sparked my interest again, especially since I cannot currently mic my guitar cabs for reamping, nor can I go to a studio and do it due to lockdown. So, I bit the bullet and got the C.A.B. M (I already own a load box from Hot Plate) from Prymaxe.

I typically write music using amp sims, focusing on the performance, and worry about the sonics when the song is getting close to mixing (I usually do editing and reamping when the drums and vocals are being recorded to make the most out of the wait time). My SOP when reamping is to use a Radial PRO RMP to my pedals/amps/cabs, select a microphone, and feed back into my interface via an SSL channel strip.

THE HARDWARE. The C.A.B. M is small (double pedal size), lightweight, and has a very bright OLED display that's quite easy to read. You can access every paramater from the pedal itself using the left and right encoders, which also act as push buttons. There is plenty of room for all of the necessary connectors, though the pedal does slide around a bit from the weight of the cables and connectors. This is not a major problem however.

For today's reamping, I am using four different amplifiers and a host of pedal options.

THE SOFTWARE. The app to control the C.A.B. M is called Torpedo Remote and it is a mobile app that I have on my iPad Mini4 and it connects via Bluetooth. I have had zero problems connecting, though I would not want to try this at a distance or during a gig where there is a lot of RF interference from lights, etc. The software is very intuitive to use and it's very easy to dial in a single or dual mic setup that stays in phase regardless of mic position. I prefer mic'ing a little further back that what is normal, so I selected a classic 57/121 combo and was able to get them balanced in no time. It helps if you already have an idea of what kind of sound you are going for or know something about the cabs and speakers being used, otherwise you could spend a VERY long time noodling around not getting things done.

THE SOUND. I am genuinely surprised by how far IR technology has advanced. The IRs sound eerily close to the real thing and the best part is that the response from using my actual amps FEELS correct; it has the same chewiness/sponginess as if it were an actual cabinet. Very cool!

Am I now an IR convert? Yes ... and no. If presented with the opportunity to mic a cab again, I would do it in a heartbeat over using the C.A.B. M. However, it does allow me to achieve something that would otherwise be impossible.

A note about using the power amp simulations: these have also come a LONG way in recent years. However, to my ears, it still doesn't sound like the real thing -- yet; I'm sure it will get there eventually! In a mix, the difference is negligible, so it comes down to what you are used to, I guess. I do miss the way an actual cabinet resonates throughout the whole house, though!

I will upload audio once I have the tracks edited and a rough mix ready.]
    Welcome to the club! Well, gang actually.

Comment

I haven’t used an amp to record in decades!

I actually like the amp sims both in Logic Pro X and AmpliTube. If you spend a little time tweaking they sound quite good. I’ve left them on all my guitar tracks.

Before that I was using a Johnson J-Station, which is still much better than a Pod.

Because all my guitar tracks were plugins, and I vary the tones for the songs, I got a Marshall Code 100 combo for my bands live shows. That’s worked out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        Welcome to the club! Well, gang actually.
        Hehe, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          I haven’t used an amp to record in decades!
          Interesting.

I actually like the amp sims both in Logic Pro X and AmpliTube.
          I love LPX, DON'T love the amp sims. Never used AmpliTube, but never needed to.

If you spend a little time tweaking they sound quite good.
          I'll take your word for it, but if you have anything mixed down I would love to hear it. To my ears, piles of amp sims just get lost in the mix and have this very ... unrealistic ... breakup.

Before that I was using a Johnson J-Station, which is still much better than a Pod.
          J-Station was a classic, way ahead of its time!

Because all my guitar tracks were plugins, and I vary the tones for the songs, I got a Marshall Code 100 combo for my bands live shows. That’s worked out great.
          What's a Code 100? Judging by the name, a digital guitar amp of some kind?

Comment

Here's a zero-fader rough of the reamped guitars, no vocals or physical drums yet.

Comment

I recently grabbed these extra packs from the Two Notes store:

BritStraight
              G12M Greenback Closed 4x12 Celestion
              Hairband
              Rand NB412
              Suhr 4x12 G12M Greenback

You'll notice that with the exception of the "Hairband" (Celestion G12-65), there is a serious Celestion Greenback theme going on there.

If you haven't tried Greenbacks (real or iR) for distorted guitar, you owe yourself to give them a shot... it's that midrange, man.

My fave Greenback from that pile so far is the BritStraight.

Comment

Congrats! That sounds as good as the Iso box recordings you usually do to my ears (without splitting hairs)..
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                  Congrats! That sounds as good as the Iso box recordings you usually do to my ears (without splitting hairs)..
                  Thanks, the mix is coming along nicely and I'm really happy about where the sound is now, especially with the live drum tracks!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                    I recently grabbed these extra packs from the Two Notes store:

BritStraight
                    G12M Greenback Closed 4x12 Celestion
                    Hairband
                    Rand NB412
                    Suhr 4x12 G12M Greenback

You'll notice that with the exception of the "Hairband" (Celestion G12-65), there is a serious Celestion Greenback theme going on there.

If you haven't tried Greenbacks (real or iR) for distorted guitar, you owe yourself to give them a shot... it's that midrange, man.

My fave Greenback from that pile so far is the BritStraight.
                    The Nuno Bettencourt cab uses greenbacks, I believe, and that's a really nice sounding cab.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                      Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      J-Station was a classic, way ahead of its time!
                      I still have two. I'll always keep at least one.

Comment

I still mic my amp, but I use cab IRs later. I feel it actually helps the transfer from analog to digital after recording. It's like it makes it match up better in the mix later down the line, if that makes any sense at all?

It also helps with available RAM. I seem to have a bad problem with VST amp sims.
                        I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

I am interested in going this route, at least live, as usually the soundpeople who mic up my amp put the mic in the worst place and get the worst sound through the PA. If I could find a good IR loader, I can send them a direct out...at least I would have some control over the sound thru the PA.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I recently be came a convert too. I've been recording with modelers for about a year, with $1000s of dollars in amps just collecting dust in my apartment. It's nice to be able to use them again.
                            sigpic
                            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I am interested in going this route, at least live, as usually the soundpeople who mic up my amp put the mic in the worst place and get the worst sound through the PA. If I could find a good IR loader, I can send them a direct out...at least I would have some control over the sound thru the PA.
                              The CAB M (not the earlier C.A.B. model with MIDI) has an XLR out for that exact purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X