Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wiring...

Hi everyone,
    Typical newb error here I guess.... I unsoldered my pickups without taking a picture so now I don't know how to rewire my guitar. I've searched for the right diagram but can't seem to find one that exactly fits what I have... could anyone help me with this? I have 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, no tone knob, one mini toggle switch to coil tap, and a 3 way blade switch.
    I found similar schemes but I don't understand the logic behind these circuits so I can't bridge the gaps...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Help with wiring...

There’s no standard pin configuration for those switches. But typically you’ll have a common lug and then three lugs first each switch position. Then you have a second set of the same thing.

The two lugs that are bridged (with no wire attached) are keeping the pickup on in the middle position. That should be the same on both “sides” of the switch (both sets of contacts).

Each pickup connects to one of the sides of the switch.

I marked where each pickup should attach (the two end lugs).

They should work opposite of the switch position, so when the switch is all the way towards the bridge pickup, it should be the lug all the way towards the neck pickup, and vice versa.

The hot wire from the pickups go to the switch and the grounds to the back of the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Help with wiring...

Where are his red/white going on the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
        Where are his red/white going on the switch?
        To the volume pot. That’s the output of the switch. You can see it bridging both decks. The black wire is ground for the switch’s chassis.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring_diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	5820698
          This is what you're looking for I believe

Comment

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]105115[/ATTACH]
            This is what you're looking for I believe
            He has a totally different switch with a different contact layout. There’s many different style knife switches on the market.

His switch is all wired up except for the two pickups.

I showed him what to do above.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              To the volume pot. That’s the output of the switch. You can see it bridging both decks. The black wire is ground for the switch’s chassis.

Thanks David and RexRemus.
              I tried to figure it out before I saw your comments and I think I went the wrong way around... If I remember correctly, I did like on the picture below. The pickups sound ok when on full humbucker but the tap is really bad, especially on the neck pickup. All the rest seems ok....

Is it green and white on the toggle switch (as i did) or red and white?

Comment

Originally posted by chrstnjcb View Post
                Thanks David and RexRemus.
                I tried to figure it out before I saw your comments and I think I went the wrong way around... If I remember correctly, I did like on the picture below. The pickups sound ok when on full humbucker but the tap is really bad, especially on the neck pickup. All the rest seems ok....

Is it green and white on the toggle switch (as i did) or red and white?

That diagram doesn’t show the hot wires for the neck and bridge pickups connected. Wire them like I showed, which matches this diagram. Then you can try the taps.

Comment

Swap your red and green wires. Green & bare to ground, red & white to the switch.
                  Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                  X