Lollar P90 set: How to configure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lollar P90 set: How to configure?

So I am playing with the idea of getting a Lollar P90 set for my Epi LP Special. A lot of what I have read suggests getting the 5% overwound bridge paired with the 5% underwound neck.

I want to be able to get piano-like cleans, snarl and Iommi's thickness.

Does anyone have experience with Lollar P90s and agree/disagree with what seems to be a common recommendation?

Side / bonus question - Was Tom Sholz singing P90 tone (first album) impacted much by his pickups or was it mostly pedals/amp/post-production?

Re: Lollar P90 set: How to configure?

Originally posted by AniML View Post
    So I am playing with the idea of getting a Lollar P90 set for my Epi LP Special. A lot of what I have read suggests getting the 5% overwound bridge paired with the 5% underwound neck.

I want to be able to get piano-like cleans, snarl and Iommi's thickness.

Does anyone have experience with Lollar P90s and agree/disagree with what seems to be a common recommendation?

Side / bonus question - Was Tom Sholz singing P90 tone (first album) impacted much by his pickups or was it mostly pedals/amp/post-production?
    I'm sure you know the old adage that fingers are 90% of tone, but its true that Schultz spent an incredible amount of time finding his perfect sound and he might be an exception to this rule.

I read a couple of interviews where he was relatively picky with guitars but it sounded more like feel, set up etc. On the other hand he spent years and years tweaking equipment which hits me is overkill. I felt like the tone on the first album was perfect.

In your case, I would recommend getting the neck p90 that works for everything else that you do and then dial up the Boston patch on practically any modeled amp and I bet you will be very close to what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

'...piano-like cleans, snarl and Iommi's thickness...' LOL. Three different things. Pick one.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
        '...piano-like cleans, snarl and Iommi's thickness...' LOL. Three different things. Pick one.
        ?? There are plenty of pickups, singles and HBs that can get great cleans and dirt. Are you suggesting P90s cannot?

Comment

I had Lollar's p90 set for quite a while before he labeled them 50's 60's whatever. Mine was his default set 50's I think.

It was quite a good set but after using them for some while, I ended up looking for more bite and cut. In that search, I've ended up loving Fralin's. Clear, but with lots a5 bite without being shrill... But then I've sold the guitar.

Now I have a deluxe and I've realized that I love the dlx mini-hb tone way more than the p90 tone. So I am not jonesing for p90 pickups anymore.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

After being totally annoyed with the Gibson P-90's in my LP Sapphire for sometime [ since I bought the guitar], I talked with the folks at a local music store that sells Duncan, DMZ, Lollar, and a couple of other smaller brands for suggestions. I switched over to these and have no desire to switch back or try a different P-90's. Both pickups roll down nicely and work well together.

At Lollar Pickups, we're obsessed with tone. Each of our guitar, bass and steel guitar pickups is custom-built and handmade from scratch, merging old-school craftsmanship with cutting-edge technology. Check out our website and let us help you find the best passive guitar pickups for you!
            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
            X