Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

  1. #21
    Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Age
    66
    Posts
    20,040

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    I noticed you said you never liked the middle pup by itself. I used to be the same. Until I found the right pup. Dave Plummer, (aka, Zhangliqun), rewound an SSL-5 for me. It's in the middle of one of my Strats and I love it by itself.

  2. #22
    Mojo's Minions eclecticsynergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,727

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I've decided what I'm going to do with the guitar that started this thread.

    Going to remove the strings and the pickguard and rewire the 5 way switch for neck, neck & middle, middle, middle & HOT TELE bridge, HOT TELE bridge. I'll use the mini-switch to combine the neck and bridge pickups. I'll just tape off the wire that is the tap for the "vintage output" of the bridge pickup because I never use it.
    I have two Strat bridge pickups that are wound hot with taps. One's a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan and the other is a D Allen Echoes.

    I never use the tap on either one.
    .
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

    .

  3. #23
    Mojo's Minions eclecticsynergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,727

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    I couldn't live without middle position on my Strats. As Artie said, having a great pickup there is key.

    I mostly prefer low-output 60s types. The D Allen Voodoo 69s are awesome. So are the Chevalier 67s and Lindy Fralin's Woodstock 69s.
    Also have a 60s type middle in an Onamac Pinktone set. And an SSL-1 from around '79 or '80.

    I even used a Quarter Pound in middle position for years, but that was in between two humbuckers on a Floydcaster used for hotter stuff.
    .
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

    .

  4. #24
    Mojo's Minions Lewguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,780

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    I couldn't live without middle position on my Strats. As Artie said, having a great pickup there is key.

    I mostly prefer low-output 60s types. The D Allen Voodoo 69s are awesome. So are the Chevalier 67s and Lindy Fralin's Woodstock 69s.
    Also have a 60s type middle in an Onamac Pinktone set. And an SSL-1 from around '79 or '80.

    I even used a Quarter Pound in middle position for years, but that was in between two humbuckers on a Floydcaster used for hotter stuff.
    I can easily live without the middle pickup all by itself. The middle position of a 3 way or 5 way switch on a Strat.

    But I love the sound of the middle pickup combined with the neck pickup.

    And I like it combined with the bridge pickup too...just not as much as it combined with the neck.

    But by itself? Never appealed to me.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

  5. #25
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,922

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I can easily live without the middle pickup all by itself. The middle position of a 3 way or 5 way switch on a Strat.

    But I love the sound of the middle pickup combined with the neck pickup.

    And I like it combined with the bridge pickup too...just not as much as it combined with the neck.

    But by itself? Never appealed to me.
    Me too. I got a MegaSwitch which, in position 3 is neck + bridge.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  6. #26
    Mojo's Minions Lewguitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,780

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Me too. I got a MegaSwitch which, in position 3 is neck + bridge.
    I like what the Mega-switch does a lot. They don't seem to last longer than a few years though. Have you experienced that?
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

  7. #27
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,922

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I like what the Mega-switch does a lot. They don't seem to last longer than a few years though. Have you experienced that?
    Actually no, I haven't...mine are going on 10 years. I guess you can wire a super switch to do the same thing.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  8. #28
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    What is the difference in a Strat between a tele bridge pickup and an overwound flat pole strat bridge pickup?
    I have a STK-S7 (noiseless) in a Strat and a Rose Buff Beauty (regular) in a second Strat and they are doing the job perfectly. What the tele bridge brings to the table?

  9. #29
    Mojo's Minions beaubrummels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The dude abides
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,800

    Default Re: Wanted to show you my Strat with TEN TONES

    Quote Originally Posted by donaldr View Post
    What is the difference in a Strat between a tele bridge pickup and an overwound flat pole strat bridge pickup?
    I have a STK-S7 (noiseless) in a Strat and a Rose Buff Beauty (regular) in a second Strat and they are doing the job perfectly. What the tele bridge brings to the table?
    Tele pickups have a metal baseplate that acts as a partial shield and affects the sound. The coil is slightly larger/thicker which changes the sound also. Tele bridge pickups cross over into Humbucker-sounding territory, which Strat bridge don’t do very well. Tele pickups (IME) are quieter than any strat I’ve owned. (Have 3 strats and 2 Teles now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •