Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalinbread Formula 55?

Anyone using this pedal?

I'm looking for a pushed amp tone, don't need a lot of gain.

I know some folks like the Klon Klones, like the Soul Food, or the Timmy. Wampler also has a Tweed pedal.

Thoughts?

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Re: Catalinbread Formula 55?

Haven't tried 55, but I have 5f6 on my board and it's really good. Nails that big & thick low gain bassman tone I was after too, with a really nice sustain. Turning gain all the way up has plenty of that gain and rudeness you'd expect.

I replaced Tech21 blonde with it, though Tech21 analog modeling gets some praise, Catalinbread is in different league in my opinion.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I have a Supercharged Overdrive (V1) that I really like.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I have a Supercharged Overdrive (V1) that I really like.
        Is that based on a Fender?
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

It's a Catalinbread. Don't know what it is based on

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
            Anyone using this pedal?

Thoughts?
            Holy S***t I was going to ask this question (as I am so happy of my new Dirty Little Secret)

This one is supposed to emulate the Fender Tweed Deluxe.

Here's explanations from Catalinbread :

The Formula No. 55 is a Foundation Overdrive that reproduces, in exact detail, the preamp section of the classic Fender™ tweed 5E3 Deluxe using an all-discrete JFET-based signal path. The Volume and Tone controls replicate, part for part, the circuitry of the 5E3, giving you authentic tweed amp response. The output section is designed to give you punch and volume with a low output impedance to drive your amp perfectly. Set the Hi-Lo button to "Lo" for the cleaner response of a vintage tweed. "Hi" is like hot rodding your amp by swapping in higher gain tubes.

Catalinbread designs and hand-builds, high quality, industry defining, guitar effects pedals in the U.S.A.
            Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Might Want to Consider the MXR Timmy

Have you considered the MXR Timmy?

Bought one days before covid lockdown and have been using it straight into my Orange Crush with bass down and treble up a bit or into straight into a DLS. Really like how it fills out the high end and I can still hear the DLS character in the sound.

There are some good videos on Youtube.
              That is not dead which can eternal lie,
              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                Is that based on a Fender?
                I think of it as Overdrive into Distortion. Here is a blurb. Short answer "no" but who cares!

Catalinbread Super Charged Overdrive: The Super Charged Overdrive designed like a tube amp, fine tuned cascaded gain stages cause the distortion, not diodes.

The tone for leads is balanced, focused, and sustains forever. Chords are chunky, tight, and resonant. Turn the GAIN and CONTOUR down for hi-wattage British sounds. Increasing the GAIN brings you into more modern saturation territories without un-natural compression.Crank the CONTOUR knob and you tighten up the low end adding resonance of a sealed 4x12.

The SCOD is capable of huge amounts of output and the gain can be down right METAL. Inspite of this the noise level is remarkably low. The distortion is natural without the buzzy "chopping" or "squaring" of your guitar's signal as often associated with high gain and metal pedals. This means you can play chords with your SCOD and not cause bizarre intermodulation.

Comment

i like timmy a lot but it doesnt change the tone of your amp much. if you just want to add a bit of gain to a clean fendery type tone, then its a great pedal. if you want a different character then the catalinbread foundation series is great.

Comment

Formula 55 is a fantastic pedal, I'm currently using it with a '72 Tele Custom w/ a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for Tele in the bridge thru a Vox AC30, nice and thick, without the fizzies....

Comment

Working...
                    X