No announcement yet.

Convert blower switch into Gilmour mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert blower switch into Gilmour mod?

Hi y'all,

I have a ridiculously modded strat that I used as a project for learning. It's an HSS with a 3 way (on/off/on) coil splitter, a blower switch, a Fender S1 volume pot, and an unnecessarily complicated 5 way super switch discrete (no idea why they call it 'discrete' but it's sort of a hybrid 5 way switch).

It sounds great and has a billion different sounds . . . of course, I only use about 4 of them. I'm not going to undo the work I've done, but I do want to convert the blower switch into a Gilmour mod (turns on neck pup regardless of what position switch is in). I'm attaching the diagram of what I have now (it's the hand-drawn image), can anybody tell me what to do to the blower switch to make it a Gilmour mod? I've done the mod on my SSS strat (no s1 pot, normal 5-way switch, so it was much easier), I'm just not sure where to connect it to the super switch, and if I need to put it in any particular order (I think it's fine where it is since it has nothing to do with S1 or the coil splitter).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Messages Image(4123127752).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5854522
    The hand-drawn diagram is just connections other than 5 way and super switch detail. It has the blower and 3-way coil splitter.

I have tried to attach a computer-generated diagram that shows detail of the s1 and 5 way super switch plus only the blower. The main difference is that instead of humbucker wires going into the blower, they goto splitter first, then black wire goes to blower which goes to output jack.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vocalnoise; 05-30-2020, 04:04 PM.

Re: Convert blower switch into Gilmour mod?

All you need to do for the Gilmour mod is wire your mini toggle as a simple on/off connection between the neck pickup hot wire (where it connects to the pickup switch) and the first lug of the volume pot (where that connects from the pickup switch).
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
      All you need to do for the Gilmour mod is wire your mini toggle as a simple on/off connection between the neck pickup hot wire (where it connects to the pickup switch) and the first lug of the volume pot (where that connects from the pickup switch).
      Thanks @eclecticsynergy
      I basically have it working, but have a few glitches that I believe have something to do with the S1 and how it is wired to put pickups in series or parallel, some settings parallel with capacitors. The middle pup will drop out in positions that should have it. This can work bc when s1 is up (in 'regular' mode), the on/off works just fine. It's when the s1 is engaged (the alternate wirings) that the middle pup drops out in some positions. . . not a huge deal, especially since it does give me a bridge/neck only option.

I have no idea who would be able to look at the wiring in that s1 and how it connects to the 5 way super switch and tell me what is happening and how to fix it . . but if anybody can, or has resources that I could look up that would help me figure it out, that'd be great!

Thanks!
      Jon

Comment

Got it done! Just had to clean up a few solder joints. Only potential issue now is some question as to if my middle pup is on in 3rd, 4th, and 5th switch position with S1 engaged (pressed in) and gilmour mod on. Oddly, multimeter says it is, but tapping screwdriver on the magnets doesn't seem to produce sound; although it may be that it's just very quiet and I am attributing what I do hear as other pickups responding a little to the tapping.

Thanks for the help eclecticsynergy!
        J

Comment

Working...
        X