banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG Jim Root Daemonum set in a tuning other than B or A???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Jim Root Daemonum set in a tuning other than B or A???

Hey all. So I have a few sets of these pickups, one of which is inan Epiphone G-1275 Custom double neck in the 6-string neck (and a RetroActive Super 77 set in the 12-string neck... Both necks tuned down to B std...). I had the other set of these Daemonum pickups in a new ESP LTD SC-20 Stephen Carpenter model tuned to C# std. I noticed that they - to me anyway - sound quite different in a tuning other than B or drop A. In the B tuning, they are worlds better than the 81/60 set. I find that in the C#, the frequency response range is different and it seems off.

So does anyone else have these pickups, and using them in a tuning other than the B or A??? If so, please comment below.

Re: EMG Jim Root Daemonum set in a tuning other than B or A???

I’ll assume the scale length on both guitars are different? That will change how the strings vibrate. Longer scales have more harmonics.

Plus it’s too different guitars. It’s not just the pickups. Not all guitars sound the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
      I’ll assume the scale length on both guitars are different? That will change how the strings vibrate. Longer scales have more harmonics.

Plus it’s too different guitars. It’s not just the pickups. Not all guitars sound the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, both are completely different.
      *G-1275 Double Neck: Multi-ply Mahogany body, 24.75" scale length set necks (I would guesseither maple or mahogany, Epiphone didn't really specify...), 20 fret ebony fingerboards, TOM/Anchor tailpieces

*SC-20 Stephen Carpenter: Alder body, 25.5" maple neck-thru, 24 fret ebony fingerboard, TOM/string-thru

Even though the guitars are drastically different, the tunings themselves are as drastically different frequency wise from B to C#. And even with the shorter scale, the Daemonum set sounds absolutely huge in the B standard, which is what Jim had tweaked them for to begin with when he worked with EMG to create them.

And I am trying to see who else has them and is using them in any other tuning besides the B or A they were designed and tweaked for, to see if they too notice they sound different in another tuning or not. Surely, I can't be the only one noticing this...

Comment

So an update on this per my latest project:

In my initial post, I was curious to see if anyone else had these and had noticed any tonal difference in t here with a different tuning. I had these in my ESP LTD SC-20 tuned to C#, and they just didn't sound right. Yet in my Epiphone G-1275 double neck tuned to B, they sound amazing. Here is where the new project comes in...

So once I pulled these out of the SC-20, i put them in an LTD ST-213 Strat copy (Swamp ash body, bolt-on maple neck, roswoood board, vintage trem being used as a hardtail, tuned E standard...), and this thing became a serious sheed machine! The best way I can describe it is its like a coveted 80's shred machine - basically the sound that everyone wanted back then: tight, focused bottom end that isn't boomt or muddy, and yet enough high-end to be tastefully cutting thru the mix. And the neck position has a lot of dynamics of the 60, yet made better by the response and feel of the RetroActive series.. Even in B or A, it stays fluid and very usable both clean or distorted.

If I can get on my computer sometime soon, I will post up a picture of how the ST-213 turned out... Its a total monster now! (Black hardware swap, S/S/S configuration - 2 S.D. Hot Rails B & N, SSL-5 in the middle - to a H/H configuration, stacked volume pot, PA-2 preamp booster, Gotoh tuners, roller string trees, GraphTech String Saver Saddles...)

Comment

Working...
        X