Just installed Hot Rails in my Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just installed Hot Rails in my Tele

I think you can only get a custom shop version of the JD now? As far as I know, they don't even advertise that they make a JD model anymore since he went to Wilkinson. I did see that they offer it in the custom shop though. Mine is a standard version though. It has JD's signature in blue script on the base plate. As far as I am concerned, the JD Tele bridge is the best single-coil pickup ever made! It is what I feel makes a Tele a Tele. It has spank for days, it chirps, it quacks, it growls and it roars. When you hear that Tele twang on a country record, the JD is that sound. Hands down the best pickup I have ever come across.

The Lil'59 is really nice, don't get me wrong. It sounds good, and the darkness of it could be because I used 250k pots, but I had 500k's with it too and while it was brighter, it wasn't night and day. I think it just needs a brighter guitar as a base for them. It is well balanced and has that humbucker sound, but to me, it is darker sounding and it is hard to match neck pickups to it. I have the matching Tele vintage stack neck and the difference in volume between them is HUGE. Sound-wise they are compatible but so different in output level that I wasn't happy.

Comment

they still make the production model jd

Comment

The JD can still be found here.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yeah, the "JD" was the tele pickup I think sounded best, from all the SD sound clips
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
          X